Reenactment of 1st Battle of Saltville, Virginia

Virginia Dave

First Sergeant
Forum Host
Photos taken this past October, 2018 on the anniversary of the battle. My GGG uncle Col. Legrand Shockley was KIA October 2, 1864

DSC_3780.jpg

DSC_3788.jpg

DSC_3796.jpg

DSC_3801.jpg

DSC_3804.jpg

DSC_3809.jpg

DSC_3817.jpg

DSC_3823.jpg
DSC_3829.jpg

DSC_3827.jpg

DSC_3826.jpg

Very nice! Really nice you have the surname too!
Interesting enough my husband has a "Michael" Shockley b 1835, son of Esau and husband of Joanna Sarah Beasley in his family tree who was in the Virginia Carroll Cty Militia Infantry Regiment and died in the Civil war in 1864. Have yet to find out in what battle. Most likely one of the 25 unknowns marked with a fieldstone in Shockley cemetery in Hillsville. I'm barely scratching the surface with all my husband's Virginia CSA ancestors!:lee: Has a few from the Carolinas and Tennessee too! Ugh!

Very nice! Really nice you have the surname too!
Interesting enough my husband has a "Michael" Shockley b 1835, son of Esau and husband of Joanna Sarah Beasley in his family tree who was in the Virginia Carroll Cty Militia Infantry Regiment and died in the Civil war in 1864. Have yet to find out in what battle. Most likely one of the 25 unknowns marked with a fieldstone in Shockley cemetery in Hillsville. I'm barely scratching the surface with all my husband's Virginia CSA ancestors!:lee: Has a few from the Carolinas and Tennessee too! Ugh!
If we dig deeper we may be kin. LOL I am in Waynesboro, Virginia

If we dig deeper we may be kin. LOL I am in Waynesboro, Virginia
Possibly. I'm not guaranteeing 100% accuracy but I traced that line to:

Richard I. Shockley (1650 - 1716) Wales, England
6th great-grandfather of husband of 1st cousin 2x removed of husband

Richard Charles Shockley (1677 - 1741)
Son of Richard I. Shockley

Richard Esau Shockley Jr (1732 - 1798)
Son of Richard Charles Shockley

Meredith Shockley (1770 - 1860)
Son of Richard Esau Shockley Jr

Esau Shockley (1797 - 1850)
Son of Meredith Shockley

Michael Shockley (1835 - 1864)
Son of Esau Shockley

Crocket Shockley (1855 - 1931)
Son of Michael Shockley

John M Shockley (1891 - 1977)
Son of Crocket Shockley

Martin John Shockley (1927 - 2006)
Son of John M Shockley

Avis Pearl Blair (1931 - )
Wife of Martin John Shockley

Frank Blair (1880 - 1958)
Father of Avis Pearl Blair

Mary Louise Blair (1869 - 1923) Wythe Co., Va.
Daughter of James William "Squire" Blair
  • great-grandmother of husband whose son moved to Bristol, Va.

My husband's mother was born in Bristol Va. The genealogist from the SCV said if you "shake his mamma's tree a whole LOT more Confederates will fall out!" They sure are! :smug:

Last edited:
Possibly. I'm not guaranteeing 100% accuracy but I traced that line to:

Richard I. Shockley (1650 - 1716) Wales, England
6th great-grandfather of husband of 1st cousin 2x removed of husband

Richard Charles Shockley (1677 - 1741)
Son of Richard I. Shockley

Richard Esau Shockley Jr (1732 - 1798)
Son of Richard Charles Shockley

Meredith Shockley (1770 - 1860)
Son of Richard Esau Shockley Jr

Esau Shockley (1797 - 1850)
Son of Meredith Shockley

Michael Shockley (1835 - 1864)
Son of Esau Shockley

Crocket Shockley (1855 - 1931)
Son of Michael Shockley

John M Shockley (1891 - 1977)
Son of Crocket Shockley

Martin John Shockley (1927 - 2006)
Son of John M Shockley

Avis Pearl Blair (1931 - )
Wife of Martin John Shockley

Frank Blair (1880 - 1958)
Father of Avis Pearl Blair

Mary Louise Blair (1869 - 1923) Wythe Co., Va.
Daughter of James William "Squire" Blair

• great-grandmother of husband whose son moved to Bristol, Va.

My husband's mother was born in Bristol Va. The genealogist from the SCV said if you "shake his mamma's tree a whole LOT more Confederates will fall out!" They sure are! :smug:
I sent an invitation through Ancestry to my tree. Let me know if you do not get it. I am still learning how this works.

I got it! Thank you...we both have Richard Esau Shockley b 1732 Marion in our tree-4th great-grandfather of husband of 1st cousin 2x removed of husband
I am in the process of trying to correct some errors through duplications that are in my tree. This could take a while. To bad I did not read all the instructions when I first started my tree in Ancestry.

I am in the process of trying to correct some errors through duplications that are in my tree. This could take a while. To bad I did not read all the instructions when I first started my tree in Ancestry.
Don't fret ... I've been on it for 20 years making many changes and the farther one goes back the more errors are made because of less documentation and repetitive names of different families. Did you see mine? When I "save from tree" from other trees I try to pull from trees that seem to make the most sense and that's all one can do. I believe even the most seasoned genealogists sometime have to make their best educated guess regarding dates of birth and location.

Back