Red River Campaign

As for the French, they had their hands full just trying to control Mexico, especially northern Mexico were the nationalist forces were strongest. If Stewart had better information about what was going on in Mexico he wouldn't have worried about French intervention.

I don't see any reason to doubt the quality of Seward's information about Mexico. There were US diplomats there feeding him information. In mid 1863 the French had captured Mexico City and defeated the national forces in battle. Confederate representatives had found an ally in Santiago Vidaurri, the governor of Nuevo Leon and Emperor Maximilian was though to be pro-CSA.

I don't see any reason to doubt the quality of Seward's information about Mexico. There were US diplomats there feeding him information. In mid 1863 the French had captured Mexico City and defeated the national forces in battle. Confederate representatives had found an ally in Santiago Vidaurri, the governor of Nuevo Leon and Emperor Maximilian was though to be pro-CSA.

Perhaps they fell into the common mistake made by many countries when they rely on diplomats and intelligence sources tied to the government when they really need information from outside the government. The British fell into this trap in the 1770's when it relied upon royal governors and tories to give them feedback on events in the Americas - they all reported that the rebels were merely a small minority who used force and intimidation to keep the majority of the colonists from showing their support for the Crown. Give them more redcoats to provide the loyalists more protection, they claimed, and the majority of Americans would flock to the crown! It didn't quite work out that way, of course.

The U.S. faced a similar problem in S. Vietnam - much of it's intelligence was based on reporting which originated through the S. Vietnamese government, which said pretty much the same think the royalist governors of America were saying in the 1770's. The U.S. tried to provide more troops and more firepower, but despite quite a few friendly Vietnamese - especially among Catholics and the Hmung - the countryside was dominated by Vietnamese who distrusted Saigon and the Americans.

When I originally read this on THC I was reading Shelby Footes Civil War series. It was a coincidence that I was just reading his account of the Red River campaign. I thought your series was extremely well done and very helpful.
Reading it a second time through I can't believe how much I missed the first time through. It's either that or I'm having some serious senior moments.
I hope to see more.

When I originally read this on THC I was reading Shelby Footes Civil War series. It was a coincidence that I was just reading his account of the Red River campaign. I thought your series was extremely well done and very helpful.
Reading it a second time through I can't believe how much I missed the first time through. It's either that or I'm having some serious senior moments.
I hope to see more.

Actually, it was Shelby Foot's series that got me interested in the Red River campaign. It didn't go into that much detail, and I was curious to find out more. I was surprised that there weren't more resources out there on this campaign. Except for Johnson's book it's more of a matter of picking up pieces here and there of specific events within the campaign, and trying to tie it all together.

Eyewitness to Mansfield.
Account of BATTLE OF MANSFIELD given
The Shreveport Journal, Thursday April 8, 1937.
(click here to view accompanying map)

Submitted by Jeanne Bannerman Alexander
See also Reminiscences of the First Commencement of Mansfield Female College

Sarah (Sally) Gardner Moss Bannerman
An interesting description of the battle of Mansfield, whose seventy-third anniversary is being observed today, written by the late Mrs. S. G. M. Bannerman, mother of the late Dr. M. M. Bannerman of Grand Cane, and daughter of Henry Moss who owned the plantation on which the famous battle was fought, is given in the following article. The article was loaned to The Shreveport Journal by Mrs. M. M. Bannerman, widow of the late Dr. Bannerman, who is now a resident of Shreveport.
When the battle of Mansfield was fought, the author of the story was Miss Sarah Gardner Moss and she had left her father's plantation a short while before the battle. She was in Mansfield at the time. Lieut. C. T. Bannerman was wounded in the battle of Mansfield and after he recovered from his wounds he and Miss Moss were married. Mrs. Bannerman, who wrote the following article passed away in 1907.
On the morning of April 8, 1864, Walker's division moved from their camp four miles north of town, to meet the enemy who were advancing in heavy force from the direction of Pleasant Hill.
Arriving near town General Walker formed his division in line of battle and awaited the advance of the enemy. They remained in this position until 11 a.m. when General Taylor ordered General Walker to advance his division to meet the enemy who were reported about half way between Mansfield and Pleasant Hill, and advancing cautiously, the head of the column soon moved off in the direction of Mansfield, the bands playing the favorite tune of "Dixie."
The inhabitants of Mansfield were astonished when they beheld Walker's division marching proudly back to meet the enemy before whom they had so lately retreated. As the troops marched through the town, the sidewalks were thronged with ladies, misses and matrons who threw their bright garlands at the feet of the brave Texas boys, beseeching them in God's name to drive back the enemy and save their cherished homes, assuring them that they looked for protection.
A young wounded soldier said to me afterward that on hearing these patriotic words he felt that we were thrice armed, and although greatly outnumbered would in the end be victorious. Alas, I was not among the crowd of patriotic girls and women, having driven to the plantation that morning to get butter, eggs, milk and chickens for the hospital.
I met Walker's division about 1 1/2 miles from town, just beyond the old McElroy gin house on the Natchitoches road and drove into the woods to let King George and his army pass by. How long I sat there watching Walker's division tramp by I have no idea, but as soon as the way was clear, I drove on to the college. Wounded and sick soldiers had been coming in for several days and that building was vacated by the president's family and hastily converted into a hospital. I drove up and stopped between the old conservatory and North portico; a crowd of girls and ladies came towards the buggy, one girl, Mary Terrell, exclaiming "Sallie Moss did you know the Yankees are coming and our men are forming a line of battle at your father's (Henry Moss) plantation?" I said "No such thing - I am just from there and there wasn't a soldier on the place that I could see," and she answered, "Well, a courier just came in with the news." I did not think of the time I had lost on the roadside waiting for those men to pass.
In those days there were no telegraphs; the news had to be carried from post to post by young boys under 18 years of age - far too young to go into active service, but anxious to serve their country as news carriers, called courtiers, a noble band of boys they.
After Walker's division had marched about three miles from Mansfield on the Pleasant Hill road, Mouton's division formed in line of battle on the left of the road. Immediately on the approach of Walker's division several batteries of light artillery took position on an eminence at the left of the road in advance of Mouton's division. Waul's brigade in front, then Randall's brigade and then Scurry's brigade which brought up the rear. The balance of the troops of Walker's division after marching, counter-marching and maneuvering was formed in the line of battle about 2 p.m. behind a rail fence enclosing the Moss plantation, the left of the division rested on the line of the Pleasant Hill road, Scurry's brigade on the right, Waul's in the center and Randall's on the left. After the line of battle was formed the command was given to stack arms, the fence was pulled down and the soldiers remained inactive about an hour, awaiting the approach of the enemy who were reported about one mile in front.
The firing of our cavalry skirmishers became each minute more distinct. The work of destruction had begun. Infantry skirmishers were pushed forward to feel the position of the enemy. News flashed along the line that the division of General Mouton had attacked a superior force of the enemy in a strong position. For half an hour the echo of their guns swelled upon the evening breeze and during that period an awful feeling of intense anxiety and suspense filled the minds of the troops not engaged in the conflict. The conflict ceases, alas! The melancholy tidings that the brave General Mouton was killed just as he had borne the banner of the Stars and Bars to victory. When the gallant Louisiana soldiers learned of their idolized chieftain's death, it is said that many of these lionhearted men threw themselves in wild grief upon the ground, weeping scalding tears in their sorrow.
It is a fearful spectacle to see strong-hearted men thus give way to their feelings. It demonstrated the devotion felt for their gallant chieftain, and showed how deeply he was enshrined in these brave hearts.
Presently General Walker and staff are in their saddles - he orders his brigade commanders to prepare for action, all being in readiness he gives the command. "By the right of companies to the front, forward! March!" Every man moved off quietly, with a confident and determined step. The line of march was through a large field in front, then through a skirt of timber into another field. Resting a few minutes in the skirt of timber the command was given "By companies into line." After the line was formed orders were given to fix bayonets. In the meantime the enemy continued firing from their batteries. Soon the command was given to "double quick." Our troops commenced advancing toward the enemy who were securely posted behind the rail fence and were greeted with a slower of leaden ball. Our men shouted at the top of their voices at each iron messenger, and it is said indulged in jokes and witticisms such as "This kind of ball music is fine for dancing." "Here comes another iron pill - dodge boys, but don't tremble."
The fire of the enemy increases. It is terrible; shells, canister and bullets are falling around like a hailstorm. Our brigade commanders ride along their lines encouraging them. There is no faltering but wild cheers as on they press - at last the fence is gained, over it our troops go like an avalanche of fire. A loud and profound Texas yell deafens the ear; their cheers rise in one great range of sound over the noise of the battle. Nothing could withstand the impetuosity of that charge - with loud huzzahs they rushed upon the Yankees before they could reload - a discharge of rifle balls was poured into their very bosoms, afterwards bayonets were used, ere they could recover from their astonishment.
Their prostrate column was trampled in the mire - Oh! Now comes the tug of war. The enemy is panic stricken - they abandon their artillery. They can not stand the bayonet charge and retreat. They sadly feel the loss of their artillery. Cheer after cheer bursts forth from our lines as the enemy is seen fleeing, casting away their knapsacks and arms. Our cavalry now charges down on their flanks, making the very ground quake and the enemy tremble.
Urged on by the excitement of victory the confederates pursue the flying foe, killing where they dare resist and capturing them by hundreds. At last their wagon train numbering over 200 wagons, falls into our hands, the flight had become universal. The enemy left on the ground dying and dead, where the battle began, about one half of their forces, and through the woods and along the road our cavalry and artillery completely slaughtered them. Horses and men by hundreds rolled down together - the road was red with their blood. After pursuing them four miles they finally made a stand at a peach orchard where they were reinforced. Entirely unconscious of the arrival of fresh troops, our men passed half way through the field before they heard of re-enforcements - then came the terrible shock - volley after volley and shower after shower of bullets came whizzing down upon them, the very air seemed hot and dark with balls; the thunders of the artillery guns resounded through the heavens and seemed to shake the earth to its very center, and on every side was heard their crushing sound as they struck the swaying mass tearing through flesh, bone and sinew. The position of our line could have been traced by our fallen dead. Within a few short moments many a gallant spirit went to its long home. The sun was now declining. General Walker with his generals was engaged in encouraging the troops while sharing with them every peril.
Hark! There peals forth the signal gun! A wild shout bursts forth from the Texas ranks as they rushed in full career upon the enemy's lines.
The sun went down and the struggle still continued - twilight darkness is over the battlefield, but a blaze of intense light from Confederate bayonets gleamed over the contending hosts.
One by one the stars came out calmly in the sky, and the moon in silent beauty rose serenely in the east and looked down with her mild reproof upon the hideous carnage and still the struggling squadrons with unintermitted fury dashed against each other; men and horses rapidly fell, the clangor of the strife grew fainter and fainter. Still in the gloom of the night as the eye gazed upon the mass swaying to and fro, it was impossible to judge who had gained the victory.
The spectacle was so sublime, so awful, so sure to be followed by decisive results that each army suspended its fire to await the issue. The roar of musketry and the heavy booming of artillery ceased; the soldiers rested upon their muskets; the exhausted cannoniers leaned upon their guns awaiting daylight to come to renew the battle. The morning of the ninth tinged the eastern horizon with the grayish dawn, when it was discovered there was no enemy in sight. The reason for the withdrawal of the enemy from the battlefield has been furnished by an officer who was seriously wounded and fell into the enemy's hands. He was carried to a log cabin in the rear of their lines, which was used as their hospital. In this cabin or hospital a council of war was held by the federal generals. The attention of General Banks, the commander of the federal forces, was attracted by the heavy moaning of the rebel officer. After questioning him as to the nature of his wounds, he asked the officer the number of confederate forces engaged in the day's battle. The officer replied that he was not aware of our forces, but he knew the main body of our forces was still behind and that only the advance of our army was engaged in today's battle, but on the morrow our entire army would be engaged. General Banks believing the supposed dying officer's words, immediately ordered a retreat of his army to Pleasant Hill.
It is impossible to make individual mention of those who on that day sacrificed their lives upon the alter of our country, but many a once-happy home mourned the loss of some dear one, who on that night slept in death upon the sanguinary battle field of Mansfield.
Our loss in the division amounted to 600 in killed, wounded and missing; while the loss of the enemy amounted to 1500 killed and wounded, 2000 prisoners, 20 pieces of artillery, including Nims Battery, the veteran battery of 17 engagements, Chicago Mercantile Battery, and the First Indiana Battery, besides 200 wagons and thousands of small arms.
A dearly bought victory.

Thanks for the account of the Battle, of Mansfied, Proud Texan. Although these accounts can be rather one-sided, they provide great perspective of how the contemporaries viewed that battle.

I just want to let you know....I asked the 7th graders (who are just starting their Civil War unit) where they would invade Texas if they were the Union. (I was hinting at either Sabine Pass or Galveston....for chronological reasons). Darned if they all didn't want to come in across the Sabine to Shelby County! At least somewhere on the Red River or Sabine for most of 'em! Can you beat it?

Mansfield was my first battlefield. We lived right down the road when I was four....too young to appreciate it!

Feel free to choose whichever method you desire to discuss the claim regarding potential French intervention as a cause of the campaign - it's certainly within the topic of this thread,

Quite a few items are worthy of discussion of their own, as well. Part of this began with my own fascination of how so many elements, from various angles, fit together in the creation of this campaign, and it's effect on the lifes and careers of those involved. I expected more dispute over the issue of the burning of Lousianna towns and homes by the retreating Union army, but so far I haven't seen any.

As for the potential for French intervention - it's been long enough since I wrote this that I'll have to dig out my books once again to consider the sources. But that being said, it seems that there seemed to be just about every justification thrown in to support this campaign - including the kitchen sink - so dealing with one of them might be hard to pin down. It reminds me a bit of trying to go through Lee's reasoning for the invasion of Pennsylvania in the summer of 1863 - lots of reasons were given by Lee as well as others, it's hard to figure out which ones were important and which ones were thrown in just to pacify some special interests.

As for whether or not Banks got good press for the seizure of Ft. Hudson - I'm sure he did receive some, but the national attention seemed to be focused on Vicksburg. I was just taking the info from my sources, so I didn't investigate this claim closely. But I usually find that most generals in the ACW needed influential press on their side, as well as influential politicians. Grant's alliance with Sherman pretty much supplied the politicians (at least one of them), and the press seemed to be handled reasonably well by him and his staff. The result were huge victory celebrations and bell-ringing on two consecutive days, as the victories at Gettysburg and Vicksburg were reported. But the later victory at Ft. Hudson seemed to pale in comparison, having been won without a daring amphibious operation (as Grant did at Vicksburt) or a major battle (as Meade handled at Gettysburg).

Banks was an accomplished politician, and he certainly had cultivated the press to report in his favor, especially those with correspondents enjoying the saloons and parlours of New Orleans. But the real question is - how did Banks think of this effort? Perhaps I'm guilty of making (or repeating) and assumption about Banks' state of mind which may not be justified. Again, I might have to check my books (and their footnotes) to see if I was right.

Fort Hudson wasn't a great victory for Banks. Gardner surrendered after seeing proof of Vicksburg falling. So, IMO, Banks wasn't really entitled to any great press. For his part, Banks handled the Ft. Hudson siege poorly.

The Red River campaign was in part due to the 1864 election. Lincoln, ever the politician, wanted to "test" his idea of reconstruction by taking those parts of Arkansas, Louisiana, and whatever part of Texas could be taken by Banks. After the poor showing of the republicans in the 1862 mid-terms, there was an idea put forth that the Union Party could maybe sneak the Electoral College votes in from those 3 states.

Last edited:
Porters_Fleet_on_Red_River.jpg

View the MARC Record for this item.

The Red River campaign was in part due to the 1864 election. Lincoln, ever the politician, wanted to "test" his idea of reconstruction by taking those parts of Arkansas, Louisiana, and whatever part of Texas could be taken by Banks.
No. No. No.
Lincoln did develop a reconstruction policy in 1863 and Banks did implement it in Louisiana,
But the Red River campaign was not in any way due to this policy.

The Administration had been under considerable pressure for quite some time to move into Texas. Freesoilers and the textile industry were driving it.

The Administration had been under considerable pressure for quite some time to move into Texas. Freesoilers and the textile industry were driving it.
And so Banks moved into Texas along the coast in November 1863. Banks gave up his Texas operations for the red river campaign because it was what Halleck wanted.

One thing that occurred to me when I was reading Donald S. Frazier's Thunder Across the Swamp was that the "Red River Campaign" was hardly a first for Banks; he'd been some ways up the Red already in 1863. Instead of viewing the 1864 campaign in isolation as a stand-alone, I thought of it as Banks going back to "unfinished business," as he'd been pressured to go after Port Hudson in tandem with Grant's operations against Vicksburg (and it looked for a time that the two might be actually joined together... though, as that would have put Banks in overall command, it was not high on Grant's list of favored options). I'll be interested to see how much of that Frazier will bring out in the next installment of the "Louisiana Quadrille."

Back