Reconstruction Part II: Real-Time Discussion of Henry Louis Gates's New Documentary

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
Ida B. Wells exposed the corruption behind the lynchings. Her newspaper was mobbed and destroyed.

ida.JPG

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
The enforced amnesia, to the point of being willingly self-inflicted, continues into the 21st century.

Hard to believe.

Even harder to accept.

I have heard from folks who basically told me that since they did not think that the Gates documentary would confirm their beliefs they were not going to watch it. Unlike my grandfather, I have ready access to information on the Reconstruction Era and the documentary makes this easily accessibe to anyone.

James N.

Colonel
Forum Host
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Ida B. Wells challenged the refusal of a train line to allow black women to ride in the Ladies Car. She lost her battle, but she kept up the struggle.

View attachment 303036
This time I watched half of it; by then it had encroached so near 1900 that it was obviously no longer about Reconstruction and I was tired so I decided on a shower and off to bed. I thought the story about Miss Wells was very interesting; I was familiar with one of the photos of her but not the others, nor of her considerable importance as well. In my PBS viewing area this followed a repeat of one of Gates' most interesting Finding Your Roots episodes which featured a descendent of Clothilde slave ship captives as well as Dr. Phil McGraw who was shown to have had a slave-owing ancestor murdered by one of his slaves here in Texas in the 1850's and another who had been an indentured servant himself in Colonial Virginia around 1700.

E_just_E

Captain
Forum Host
Retired Moderator
Thread closed pending moderator review of post-reconstruction, 20th century, and modern politics material.

Posted as a moderator.

WJC

Major General
Judge Adv. Genl.
Thread Medic
Answered the Call for Reinforcements
***Posted as Moderator***
This thread is again open, with a reminder: 20th century social and political issues are beyond the scope of this Forum.

James N.

Colonel
Forum Host
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
***Posted as Moderator***
This thread is again open, with a reminder: 20th century social and political issues are beyond the scope of this Forum.
Of course as I complained about this series in the first place, although it's titled Reconstruction it's really about Jim Crow and everything else after Reconstruction, waving the bloody shirt well into the Twentieth Century, making it difficult if not outright impossible to "discuss" Part 2 without getting firmly onto verboten ground!

Reactions: Sbc

huskerblitz

Major
All in all I was disappointed in the series. A better name for the program would have been Slavery's Legacy, which in and of itself would have been good. But I was hoping for a robust history of Reconstruction, and this show just wasn't that. Not to say the show was not good, it was. Just not what I was hoping it would be.

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
All in all I was disappointed in the series. A better name for the program would have been Slavery's Legacy, which in and of itself would have been good. But I was hoping for a robust history of Reconstruction, and this show just wasn't that. Not to say the show was not good, it was. Just not what I was hoping it would be.
Fair enough.

Ida Wells is featured in our US History textbook. She wrote a book on lynching, her insight being it was often to destroy any emergent black middle class. There's a nice picture of her with her young son, she's got a little bit of a skeptical look on her face while she's looking at him.
1555937321252.png

He looks at the camera. "Who me?"

dlavin

Sergeant Major
I do think the title of the series is a misnomer. But whether you feel "dupped" by the title or not, there is still valuable information to be learned from the series.

Reactions: Sbc

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
Ida Wells is featured in our US History textbook. She wrote a book on lynching, her insight being it was often to destroy any emergent black middle class. There's a nice picture of her with her young son, she's got a little bit of a skeptical look on her face while she's looking at him.View attachment 303834
He looks at the camera. "Who me?"
I visited the site of her office in Memphis. There is a historic plaque.

John S. Carter

Sergeant Major
If you want the real first draft of history, you have to read the Black newspapers

View attachment 303052
[/QU b
Thank you for this information and pictures ,May I suggest a political history of the amendments which were passed by Congress in after the war? Just remember the time and reason given for these amendments.The author renders the cause of these amendments in the fear of a return to slavery or some form of servitude for the former slaves.He also writes of the condition of the free blacks and even the Chinese out West,The book deals with the issue of rights and what does equality mean in politics and in society.He deals with the Constitution from the origin as to what the founders may have meant to a radical new Constitution definition with these new amendments.Since their passage ,in some times certain courts have failed to read of the reasons for whom these were addressed,as in the case where it states that those who are born in this country are automatic citizens should read why this was essential and to whom it really protected.THE book is,"THE SECOND FOUNDING,how the Civil War and Reconstruction remade the CONSTITUTION" author Eric Foner.We can not place yesterday with today only learn the reason for remembering from those experiences.