Reconstruction: Discussion of Henry Louis Gates New Documentary

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
The role of the church in Reconstruction.

black church.JPG

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
I started watching last night and fell asleep half way through. :furious: I like Gates and it was excellent but I was simply beat. When are they going to replay it?
I crashed with 20 minutes left! Can't stay up that late anymore...

If you follow this link you can stream it on your computer. Usually they keep these links active for a week or two:

https://www.pbs.org/weta/reconstruction/

First impressions: Very much the most recent interpretations of Reconstruction.

Interesting widening of the usual focus on politics to include the religious institutions and cultural expression like the Fisk Jubilee singers(who offered a more positive image of African American culture than minstrel shows.

Quite effective and interesting presentation, Gates is TV savvy to be sure. Of course I was awake for the whole thing, so your mileage may vary!

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
The first half of the two part series concludes with the Republican Party less of an Emancipation Party and more of the party of big business. After a dozen years, Northern Republicans were ready to turn their attention away from the South in the face of unrelenting armed terror. As the nation's will faltered the rights of black people would be "sacrificed to political expediency."

end.JPG

Bruce Vail

1st Lieutenant
First impressions: Very much the most recent interpretations of Reconstruction.

Interesting widening of the usual focus on politics to include the religious institutions and cultural expression like the Fisk Jubilee singers(who offered a more positive image of African American culture than minstrel shows.

Quite effective and interesting presentation, Gates is TV savvy to be sure. Of course I was awake for the whole thing, so your mileage may vary!

The New Yorker magazine review of Gates' accompanying book makes clear how much Gates owes to DuBois' 1935 seminal Black Reconstruction in America. So the "most recent interpretations" dates back quite a ways!

Bruce Vail

1st Lieutenant
Ha, I'm glad I wasn't the only one who fell asleep watching. What I did catch was very informative. Of course I really like Henry Louis Gates, from Finding your Roots.

Didn't see the broadcast last night but I find Gates TV work sleep-inducing under the best of circumstances. I'm looking forward to seeing the documentary though (I'll probably make a pot of coffee before I start watching).

Reactions: Sbc

Bruce Vail

1st Lieutenant
In 1872 Grant was re-elected but splits were appearing in the Republican Party. Even Thomas Nast began indulging in racist images:

View attachment 301855

Nast's work is overflowing with racist images. As a student of Irish immigration you are probably more aware of that than most.

Unlike Nast's view of the Irish, his images of black people cover a wide spectrum, including some very positive representations.

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
Nast's work is overflowing with racist images. As a student of Irish immigration you are probably more aware of that than most.

Unlike Nast's view of the Irish, his images of black people cover a wide spectrum, including some very positive representations.
His images of African Americans tended to be very positive until the later part of Grant's presidency.