Reconstruction Book Reviews-Books on the Reconstruction Era Reviewed on CWT

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!
Dixie’s Daughters: The United Daughters of the Confederacy and the Preservation of Confederate Culture by Karen Cox published by Florida University Press (2003). Hardcover $55.00, Paperback $24.99.

A modern classic on the construction of the memory of the Reconstruction Era and the women who were the construction crew.
I loved this book. It was borrowed, so I can't go back to check, but I think it would be particularly interesting during this time of so much.attention to the Confederate monuments/

Berwanger, Eugene H. (1981) The West and Reconstruction. (U. of Illinois Press).

OK, Pat, here's a blurb.

Though old, this is the only book on the subject per-se (although one can find many journal articles on particulars). It's well-written (i.e. not painfully academic) and researched; footnotes are at the bottom of the page, too, which is always nice. It is an overview and covers all the western states and territories so doesn't go into real detail about any one place but I thought it a good summary of Reconstruction politics in the west and how people 'way out here' felt about what was happening 'back there.' At 255 pages it doesn't take too long to digest and one can skim those sections not of particular interest. As I've now read quite a bit about Oregon - and to a somewhat lesser extent California - during the CW era I can say that the author's summary statements regarding those two states were right on so that leads me to believe he did his homework regarding the other states and the territories.

Many don't seem to think the west existed before, during, or after the war but I assure you it did and some of the politics and people actually affected things in the east. I was able to get a used library copy for next to nothing so, if you have any interest in the politics of the post-war west and how that affected national politics, you can likely indulge for very little. I don't keep all the books I read (has to be a useful reference or a memorable read) but I'm keeping this one. It's a good addition to my PNW shelf.

index.jpg

Last edited:

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
Berwanger, Eugene H. (1981) The West and Reconstruction. (U. of Illinois Press).

OK, Pat, here's a blurb.

Though old, this is the only book on the subject per-se (although one can find many journal articles on particulars). It's well-written (i.e. not painfully academic) and researched; footnotes are at the bottom of the page, too, which is always nice. It is an overview and covers all the western states and territories so doesn't go into real detail about any one place but I thought it a good summary of Reconstruction politics in the west and how people 'way out here' felt about what was happening 'back there.' At 255 pages it doesn't take too long to digest and one can skim those sections not of particular interest. As I've now read quite a bit about Oregon - and to a somewhat lesser extent California - during the CW era I can say that the author's summary statements regarding those two states were right on so that leads me to believe he did his homework regarding the other states and the territories.

Many don't seem to think the west existed before, during, or after the war but I assure you it did and some of the politics and people actually affected things in the east. I was able to get a used library copy for next to nothing so, if you have any interest in the politics of the post-war west and how that affected national politics, you can likely indulge for very little. I don't keep all the books I read (has to be a useful reference or a memorable read) but I'm keeping this one. It's a good addition to my PNW shelf.

View attachment 226192
Good blurb. You should post it as a thread with the book's title as the title of the thread. Also, use the pull down in the Book and Movie Forum for "Book Review."

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!