Reconstruction Book Reviews-Books on the Reconstruction Era Reviewed on CWT

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
I realize I'm a little late in replying, but thank you! That timeline is nothing short of impressive! The bibliography was daunting in scope. The links are fantastic--super helpful having those all there. I really appreciate the effort you put into it!
Thank you. It is still growing. I have added 15 new entries so far in 2018 alone. I am adding as my research moves along. I also need to edit it.

Last edited:

DRW

Sergeant
Maybe we can start a lending club for those who want to read these books but aren’t eager to plunk down $40 + shipping/tax for university press books? Having been on the other side of the high price wall, I can assure you these authors aren’t counting on the royalties: they would rather have readers.

That's a great idea. As someone who is independent and no longer in grad school, it's hard to justify expensive book purchases in any great number. My wife will start to ask questions! There are plenty of books worth spreading around and I think most writers are cool with the whole idea of library lending. This idea would be the same thing.

Thomas Nast: The Father of Modern Political Cartoons by Fiona Deans Halloran published by University of North Carolina Press (2013) 380 pages Hardcover $29.95 Kindle $17.49.

Nast's cartooning career began before the Civil War, but he only gained a national following during the war and Reconstruction. This volume offers evidence that for more than a decade he was an influential voice for black suffrage and against white terrorism.
Wasn't Nast a German guy?

Like many of those whose images of the war illustrate our memories, he was an immigrant.
Villard, Nast, Schurz, three pretty important people.
Schurz had a huge impact when this report came out in December of 1865 and Grant in particular realized he needed to read all the reports that were coming in.
Then later, when Schurz maintained that the United States had reached the limit of what the federal government could do with militarizing the country, that also had an impact.
Lieber's various proposed constitutional amendments were a good starting point for Trumbull.
In those decades, 1850-1890, the German immigrant community, including people like the Seligman family, had a huge influence.
We did end up with a state capital named after the German chancellor.
All of that was hard to admit in 1960 in the American Heritage era of American History. But now it might be OK to write about.

I am going to see if I can track down this guy's book, David Haward Bain, Empire Express, about the transcontinental railroad.
It was a great achievement, way over subsidized, well beyond the audit capabilities of the government at the time, but it did put young men to work building something positive.

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
I am going to see if I can track down this guy's book, David Haward Bain, Empire Express, about the transcontinental railroad.
It was a great achievement, way over subsidized, well beyond the audit capabilities of the government at the time, but it did put young men to work building something positive.
Write a review when you finish it. I have the book, but have not yet read it.

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!