Reconstruction: A Concise History by Allen C. Guelzo published by Oxford University Press (2018)

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
guelzo reconstruction.JPG

Reconstruction: A Concise History by Allen C. Guelzo published by Oxford University Press (2018) 188 pages $18.95 Hardcover $11.49 Kindle
This was not a book that I was intending to read. When Allen Guelzo's short history of Reconstruction came out in April I took a quick look at it and decided it had little that I did not already know between its covers. However, my experience in reviewing several recent books on Reconstruction forced me to give this slim volume a second look.

I have long recommended Eric Foner's Reconstruction to those of you who asked me what one book to read on the subject. Several of you wrote to me telling me that the book is just too long at 752 pages and too academic. In response, this year I read and reviewed three newer surveys of Reconstruction. I still got some messages from folks saying that these 500 page books were too great a time commitment for someone just beginning to explore the subject.

So, I bought Guelzo's new book, if not for me, then for you dear reader.

This review will appear in lots of installments.

Last edited:
Back