Recommended books and sources for learning about bullets/cartridges of the 1800s?

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Taylor Ratliff

Private
Hello everyone, I am looking for any good online sources or books that go into detail about the different bullets used in various firearms in the 1800s, especially with a focus on the American Civil War to the 1890s if possible. I have some round balls, Minie bullets, complete original .69 ( buck and ball) and .58 ( Minie) caliber cartridges in clear tubes, atleast one .44 Henry round, one or two Eley paper cartridges, and other rounds that I would like to learn up on. If yall have any suggestions on good books or online sources/websites on this subject, I am all ears. Here are a couple of pictures of what I currently have to learn up on. Thanks everyone!

20190528_191245.jpg

20190528_191311.jpg

Tin cup

Captain

Taylor Ratliff

Private
Thank you very much Tin cup for the recommendations! I love having reference material so if my budget allows, I would like to acquire these books this year. Luckily, these books are well priced so I might treat myself to one as a birthday present in a week or two.

FedericoFCavada

Corporal
Craig Barry... If you can find it...
Joseph B. Bilby, Civil War Firearms: Their Historical Background, Tactical Use, and Modern Collecting and Shooting (Combined Books, 1996).
Brigadier Silas Casey--edited and published by Col. Mark Silas Tackitt, 1863 Manual of Arms for the Rifle Musket from the Infantry Tactics, for the Instruction, Exercize and Manoevres of the Soldier www.zipcon.net~silas/links.htm
Earl J. Coates, An Inroduction to Civil War Small Arms. (Thomas Pubs., 1996).
William B. Edwards, Civil War Guns.
Øyvind Flatnes, From Musket to Metallic Cartridge: A Practical History (Crowood, 2013).
Claud E. Fuller, The Rifled Musket (Bonanza, 1958).
Earl J. Hess, The Rifle Musket in Civil War Combat: Reality and Myth (Kansas, 2008).
Maj. F. Myatt, MC, The Illustrated Encyclopedia of 19th-century Firearms (Salamander, 1979).
Graham Smith, Civil War Weapons (Chartwell, 2011).
Dean S. Thomas, Ready ... Aim ... Fire! Small Arms Ammunition in the Battle of Gettysburg (Thomas Pubs., 2007).

While dated, I still have a copy of Jack Coggins book on Arms of the Civil War too... childhood souvenir from Manassas.

ucvrelics

Major
Forum Host
As I stated M&M books are outdated but they do hold a lot of info on DUG bullets, plus you have to remember that in the early days of relic hunting we didin't know that much ( 3 ringer, enfield etc we would find) and they did help add a bunch of needed info. I dug over 200 yards of CS trenches at Blakley in 1972, to 3 foot depths and dug a ton of bullets and until this book come out didn't know they were Selma lube grooved and rose wood plug bullets made at the Selma Arsenal. Either way you Knowledge is King.

Taylor Ratliff

Private
Thank you very much FedericoFCavada for the book recommendations! I will definitely look into each of those books to see what all I can find and get my hands on.

Taylor Ratliff

Private
I understand that some older books become outdated as more and more information comes out until a new book needs to come out, but at this point in time, just a little information is better than no information (my current situation). Even though the book is currently $95 on Amazon, I will keep an eye out for it at the next CW show near me.

tbuckley

Sergeant
The books by Dean Thomas that Tin Cup listed are excellent. Jim and Dean Thomas also published A Handbook of Civil War Bullets and Cartridges a very good basic reference that is inexpensive and also available on Amazon.

Taylor Ratliff

Private
Thank you tbuckley and drm2m for the book recommendations. I will look into them and hopefully get them sometime this year.