Sherman Recommendation(s): book on Sherman's march ?

John Winn

Lt. Colonel
I posted this on the book review forum, too, but am duplicating here so as to reach the biggest audience (hope that's not against the rules).

I'm wondering what ya'll feel is the best all-around book on Sherman's march to the sea campaign. It's a somewhat controversial subject and I want to get as unbiased a history as I can (but an accurate one, too). There's a lot of books out there so I need some help in making a choice.

Recommendations ? Thanks ahead of time.

There is abook out written by Gen.Jacob D.Cox published in 1882 titled "The March To The Sea"-"Franklin and ASHVILLE".It was republished in 2002 on the "Cmpaigns of the Civil War"series.This book should be in the public domain so you should be able to download it at the "InternetArchive".You will also find 1000's of Civil War books and papers

I posted this on the book review forum, too, but am duplicating here so as to reach the biggest audience (hope that's not against the rules).

I'm wondering what ya'll feel is the best all-around book on Sherman's march to the sea campaign. It's a somewhat controversial subject and I want to get as unbiased a history as I can (but an accurate one, too). There's a lot of books out there so I need some help in making a choice.

Recommendations ? Thanks ahead of time.
"Shermans March to the Sea by Richard Wheeler ' who was a soldier or officer(I forgot which) in Shermans Army. It is a first hand account I don't know if it is public domain or not .
Leftyhunter

Back