NF Recollections and Letters of General Robert E. Lee by Robert E. Lee Jr.

Non-Fiction

War Horse

Captain
Member of the Year
Regtl. Quartermaster Gettysburg 2017
I'll have to admit, this took me a little off guard. Do we have any feedback from our members? I almost impluse purchased this book without researching it. I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks

image.png

@War Horse , don't get it wrong, the author is not the General himself, but his youngest son. I have downloaded the volume a while ago, but did not find time to read it yet (the old problem ...). Amazon has a printed edition for $6.99, btw (as you don't like ebooks), the Kindle edition is free also.
It is definitely worth reading, I think. Here are two reviews (highlights by me):

Adored by his soldiers and respected by his adversaries, Robert E. Lee achieved worldwide admiration for his military triumphs against a vastly more powerful army. The idol of the Confederacy proved gracious in defeat, and he encouraged other Southerners to follow his example and accept reconciliation with the Union. Revered in his lifetime, Lee achieved legendary status after his death. This extraordinary memoir by his son offers rare glimpses of the man behind the uniform, with scenes from family life and touching letters from a loving husband and father.Lee's youngest son, Robert, published this unique volume in 1904. A celebration of the general's life as well as a priceless contribution to the historical record, it combines correspondence and personal reminiscences dating from the Mexican-American War in the 1840s until the general's death in 1870. In addition to their firsthand reports from Civil War battlefields, Lee's letters offer comfort to the family members at home and express concern for his sons, who served in the Confederate army. His post-war correspondence reflects his devotion to duty in the difficult era of Reconstruction, when he declined more lucrative offers to profit from his fame and assumed the presidency of Washington College, known today as Washington and Lee University. Any study of Robert E. Lee, the South, the Civil War, or American history is incomplete without this remarkable book and its intimate portrait of a towering historical figure. -
See more at: http://store.doverpublications.com/0486461823.html#sthash.OsK9mhWl.dpuf

Robert Edward "Rob" Lee, Jr. (October 27, 1843 – October 19, 1914) was the youngest of three sons of Confederate General Robert Edward Lee, Sr. and Mary Anna Randolph Custis, and the sixth of their seven children. He became a soldier during the American Civil War, and later was a planter, businessman, and author. Rob Lee was born and raised at Arlington House across the Potomac River from Washington, D.C. He attended boarding schools during much of the 1850s, while his father, a career U.S. Army officer, was serving in the Mexican-American War and as Superintendent of the United States Military Academy at West Point, New York. Unlike his father and two older brothers, Rob apparently never envisioned a military career, never serving in the United States Army. In 1860, he enrolled at the University of Virginia. Rob Lee was born and raised at Arlington House across the Potomac River from Washington, D.C. He attended boarding schools during much of the 1850s, while his father, a career U.S. Army officer, was serving in the Mexican-American War and as Superintendent of the United States Military Academy at West Point, New York. Unlike his father and two older brothers, Rob apparently never envisioned a military career, never serving in the United States Army. In 1860, he enrolled at the University of Virginia.All four Lees survived the Civil War. After the war, Rob lived and farmed Romancoke Plantation on the north bank of the Pamunkey River in King William County, which he inherited from his maternal grandfather George Washington Parke Custis. Romancoke was located approximately four miles from the Town of West Point. Rob also became a writer, gathering his memories of his family and life in Recollections and Letters of General Robert E. Lee (1904). The first-hand account provides a valuable source of information on day-to-day life at Arlington House during his youth, and includes many items of interest regarding his father's entire life. (see link for online portion of this book below) However, some are now offended by racial views expressed therein. Robert E. Lee, Jr. died in 1914. He was interred with his parents and siblings in the Lee Chapel in Lexington, Virginia, where his father and brother Custis each had served as a president of the college now known as Washington and Lee University.
https://www.amazon.de/Recollections...lections+and+Letters+of+General+Robert+E.+Lee

Last edited:
@War Horse , don't get it wrong, the author is not the General himself, but his youngest son. I have downloaded the volume a while ago, but did not find time to read it yet (the old problem ...). Amazon has a printed edition for $6.99, btw (as you don't like ebooks), the Kindle edition is free also.
It is definitely worth reading, I think. Here are two reviews (highlights by me):

Adored by his soldiers and respected by his adversaries, Robert E. Lee achieved worldwide admiration for his military triumphs against a vastly more powerful army. The idol of the Confederacy proved gracious in defeat, and he encouraged other Southerners to follow his example and accept reconciliation with the Union. Revered in his lifetime, Lee achieved legendary status after his death. This extraordinary memoir by his son offers rare glimpses of the man behind the uniform, with scenes from family life and touching letters from a loving husband and father.Lee's youngest son, Robert, published this unique volume in 1904. A celebration of the general's life as well as a priceless contribution to the historical record, it combines correspondence and personal reminiscences dating from the Mexican-American War in the 1840s until the general's death in 1870. In addition to their firsthand reports from Civil War battlefields, Lee's letters offer comfort to the family members at home and express concern for his sons, who served in the Confederate army. His post-war correspondence reflects his devotion to duty in the difficult era of Reconstruction, when he declined more lucrative offers to profit from his fame and assumed the presidency of Washington College, known today as Washington and Lee University. Any study of Robert E. Lee, the South, the Civil War, or American history is incomplete without this remarkable book and its intimate portrait of a towering historical figure. -
See more at: http://store.doverpublications.com/0486461823.html#sthash.OsK9mhWl.dpuf

Robert Edward "Rob" Lee, Jr. (October 27, 1843 – October 19, 1914) was the youngest of three sons of Confederate General Robert Edward Lee, Sr. and Mary Anna Randolph Custis, and the sixth of their seven children. He became a soldier during the American Civil War, and later was a planter, businessman, and author. Rob Lee was born and raised at Arlington House across the Potomac River from Washington, D.C. He attended boarding schools during much of the 1850s, while his father, a career U.S. Army officer, was serving in the Mexican-American War and as Superintendent of the United States Military Academy at West Point, New York. Unlike his father and two older brothers, Rob apparently never envisioned a military career, never serving in the United States Army. In 1860, he enrolled at the University of Virginia. Rob Lee was born and raised at Arlington House across the Potomac River from Washington, D.C. He attended boarding schools during much of the 1850s, while his father, a career U.S. Army officer, was serving in the Mexican-American War and as Superintendent of the United States Military Academy at West Point, New York. Unlike his father and two older brothers, Rob apparently never envisioned a military career, never serving in the United States Army. In 1860, he enrolled at the University of Virginia.All four Lees survived the Civil War. After the war, Rob lived and farmed Romancoke Plantation on the north bank of the Pamunkey River in King William County, which he inherited from his maternal grandfather George Washington Parke Custis. Romancoke was located approximately four miles from the Town of West Point. Rob also became a writer, gathering his memories of his family and life in Recollections and Letters of General Robert E. Lee (1904). The first-hand account provides a valuable source of information on day-to-day life at Arlington House during his youth, and includes many items of interest regarding his father's entire life. (see link for online portion of this book below) However, some are now offended by racial views expressed therein. Robert E. Lee, Jr. died in 1914. He was interred with his parents and siblings in the Lee Chapel in Lexington, Virginia, where his father and brother Custis each had served as a president of the college now known as Washington and Lee University.
https://www.amazon.de/Recollections...lections+and+Letters+of+General+Robert+E.+Lee
Thank you FF.

I have a facsimile of the original edition, and it's well worth reading. Plenty of Robert E. Lee in between comments and context by his son.

As others have said, I also think it's worth a look.

A few years ago, I picked up an edition on the Barnes & Noble discount table for less than $10.00. It was actually one of those "two for one" publications that included Grant's Memoirs.

A bonus included a very pretty fake leather cover, as seen here:

unnamed-1.jpg

:smoke:

Back