Rebel Poems

Ed Hill

Cadet
GETTYSBURG
Me and brother Bobby had never spent a day apart, so when duty called we both answered, nearly broke mama’s heart.
We were just a couple of rough country boys with more than our share of nerve that followed General Lee into Pennsylvania to a place called Gettysburg.
For two days two great army’s battled to a draw, the third day was the cruelest fight I ever saw. I was carrying the colors with Bobby right behind, when General Pickett gave the order, “time to do or die.”
Gettysburg, cuts like a razor on my soul. Gettysburg carries more pain than I can hold. Back then we were restless and bold, me and Bobby never thought about growing old.
The Union boys were waiting on hill behind a wall of stone. Across half a mile of open ground we would have to make it on our own. I straightened the colors, we all squinted in the July sun, and then we fixed our eyes upon that wall and marched straight into their guns.
We were all moving forward with 100 yards to go, when thunder burst inside my chest and I went down real slow. If I was alive or dead Bobby couldn’t tell, but he picked up that Rebel flag and screamed the Rebel Yell.
Nobody knows how it ended because no one saw him fall, but they saw Bobby waving the Stars and Bars on top of the Union wall. When I recall that day my blood runs cold, you see my little brother Bobby was only 16 years old.
Gettysburg, cuts like a razor on my soul. Gettysburg carries more pain that I can hold. Back then we were restless and bold, now I’m the one, the one that’s growing old.
THE MARBLE MAN
In Lexington Virginia for all the world to see, there’s a marble statue of Robert E. Lee. Four old Rebel soldiers came from Alabam, to pay their last respects to the marble man.
They fought in Lee’s Army against the Union side and after 40 years they still stood with pride. As they reached out to touch him, with trembling hands, fierce love lived in their hearts for the Marble Man.
Sleep now General Virginia’s son, peace now General your duty’s done. But when the bugle sounds the call for the final stand, all the boys will raise the Rebel Yell, for the Marble man.
For a flashing moment they were young once more, their awe struck minds were filled with scenes of war, the mighty Rebel Yell was heard across the land, as four great warriors had come to salute that noble man. In Lexington Virginia for all the world to see, there’s a marble statue of Robert E. Lee.
NATHAN BEDFORD FORREST
Born south of Nashville with a pistol by his side, before he could walk he knew how to ride. Now he thunders through the country on moon drenched roads, Nathan Bedford Forrest gets there first with the most.
So you can come on down here Bluecoats, but you ain’t going to wanna stay, that devil Forrest is on the prowl and there will be Hell to pay. He’s the wizard of the saddle boys and rides a fiery steed, sure as God’s in Heaven, the Devil’s in Tennessee.
Gallant Colonel Stray and 1,800 Union men went on a raid to Georgia and didn’t come back again. Because Forrest and 600 troopers hung on them like a noose, and them worn out Yankees couldn’t shake them Devil’s loose.
So you can come on down here Bluecoats, but you ain’t going to wanna stay, that devil Forrest is on the prowl and there will be Hell to pay. He’s a demon with a saber boys and will hit you where you’re weak, sure as God’s in Heaven, the Devil’s in Tennessee.
Wounded at Shiloh still he wouldn’t yield, old Bedford was the last to leave the field. At bloody Chickamauga he fired the first shot; the Devil likes to be where the fire is hot.
So you can come on down here Bluecoats, but you ain’t going to wanna stay, that devil Forrest is on the prowl and there will be Hell to pay. He’ll put the scare right on you boys, you best believe, sure God’s in Heaven, the Devil’s in Tennessee.
IT’S A STONE GRAY DAY
As I look down from Lookout Mountain, November 1863, there’s 10,000 blue-clad soldiers in Chattanooga, Tennessee and they’re moving towards this mountain as strong as they can be, cause if Sherman wants to get to Georgia, he’s got to get by me.
It’s a stone gray day, darling and this is my last letter, give my love to little Tom, Lord I wish I could have known him better. Tell him that his Daddy was soldier who always earned his pay, oh darling it’s a stone gray day.
How pretty you were in your wedding dress that April Sunday when we married and the next year I went off to war, you were sad and worried. I would gladly trade my mortal soul just to see your face again, but battles have their own time and this one is fixing to begin.
It’s a stone gray day, darling and this is my last letter, give my love to little Tom, Lord I wish I could have known him better. Tell him that his Daddy was soldier who always earned his pay, oh darling it’s a stone gray day.
In the hazey light of early dawn and the air is thick and heavy, on Missionary Ridge the cannon fire is steady. Just above my head I can hear the bullets cry, the final charge is coming, I love you dear, goodbye.
It’s a stone gray day, darling and this is my last letter, give my love to little Tom, Lord I wish I could have known him better. Tell him that his Daddy was soldier who never ran away, oh darling it’s a stone gray day.
I SAW THAT LOOK IN YOUR EYE
We met in Richmond at an officer’s ball, you were so handsome in Gray, your blue eyes said I, I was the one, as we danced the night away.
I’ve seen the moon over Virginia and the stars in the great Southern sky, but nothing I’ve seen compares to night, I saw that look in your eye.
On the day we were wed Cold Harbor again, that night you went back to General Lee, you waved from the window as your train pulled away and looked at me so longingly.
I’ve seen the moon over Virginia and the stars in the great Southern sky, but nothing I’ve seen compares to night I saw that look in your eye.
In 68 our first daughter was born, you paced in hall the whole night and you cradled her softly in your arms as tears and wonder filled your eyes. I’ve seen the moon over Virginia and the stars in the great Southern sky, but nothing I’ve seen compares to night I saw that look in your eye.
STONEWALL JACKSON
Let us cross over the river and rest under the shade of the trees, oh Lord our souls are worn and weary and there we shall find our peace.
Stonewall Jackson was a fearless man; at Chancellorsville he met his end. The Army of Northern Virginia lost its right hand and the Southern Cause lost its best friend.
Let us cross over the river and rest under the shade of the trees, oh Lord our souls are worn and weary and there we shall find our peace.
His faith ran deep as the Shenandoah, he loved his Maker with all his might; they say glory shined in his eyes when Stonewall rode into a fight.
Now he rides across the face of Stone Mountain, high, in the sweet Georgia air, and if the South should rise again, Stonewall’s spirit will surely be there.

Back