Rebel, Louisiana

RebAl

Private
I always thought this was a sad story when I visited Rebel, Louisiana.

According to local legend, a young Rebel soldier became separated from his unit during a skirmish at Crump’s Corner, near present day Marthaville. Alone in the woods and confused about where he was the soldier began searching for other Confederates. It was at a spring where he stopped for a drink of water that the lad was spotted by three Union Cavalrymen and killed.
The Barnhill family, local residents who had spoken with the soldier shortly before he was shot, discovered the body and buried him beside the road where he died.
For nearly 100 years after the incident, each generation of the Barnhill family cared for the grave. After some newspaper articles about the grave appeared in 1961, local interest grew and in 1962 the people of the area placed a marker on the spot and began to hold annual memorial services in honor of the unknown Confederate. Rebel State Commemorative Area has been established at this soldiers final resting place.

Expired Image Removed

Rebal: Thanks for that great story and the photo. It's neat how the Barnhills have taken care of the area since the boys death, and the state has put up a monument in his honor...great story, thank you...Terry

Rebal,
Let me add my voice with those who have already answered. What a very chivilrous action to take with one of their own. I would gladly attend one of those memorial services if I were to live in the vacinity. It is just one sad incident in a world gone mad with anger and war. It is so sad to know, that we have learned so little since those dreadful days. Oh, if we could only abolish the mayhem and killing from our country as we did slavery. Sadly, will the world ever learn, that 'War is Hell'!

Great to read... I live in Louisiana, do you recall whereabouts this was? Was the town called "Rebel", or... Sorry if I'm just misunderstanding, but I'd appreciate your help finding this place.

Back