Rear guard for US V Corps after Weldon Raid?

Caswell Ranger

Corporal
Hello, Warren's V Corps returned to Federal lines by Dec 12, 1864, after destroying the Weldon Railroad in Sussex County VA. My Confederate Civil War ancestor was captured 12/12/64 near Sussex Courthouse, but federal troops had left the area by then, and there are no records of captured Confederates at this time. I would like to know what unit would have taken him prisoner.

Incidentally, Tom Chamberlain was a Provost Marshal in the V Corps at this time, so possible the two may have met. I presume my ancestor was taken pow by the troops covering Warren's withdrawal. He was in Barrenger's NC Brigade. The regiment sustained casualties as late as 12/12/64. Thanks for any help.

I think you should talk to Chris Calkins, The former historian at Petersburg battlefield park. If you get in touch with me I'll give you his email address

Bryce Suderow
Street stories at Juno.com

Are you familiar with Walter Clark's five volume series, North Carolina troops in the great war? Look up your regiment and see what they say about their experiences during the raid on the world and railroad.

Bryce

Back