Rear Admiral Franklin Hanford image?

He enlisted in the Naval academy in 1862, saw some minor blockade work during the Civil War and eventually became a Rear Admiral before retiring in 1902. I have searched high and low, national archives, local archives, and can find everything...but an image. Anyone able to work some magic? There has to be an image somewhere of a man that rose as high as Rear Admiral, right?

His papers are available at the University of Rochester River Campus Libraries. Looks like there are some photographs included in the collection https://rbscp.lib.rochester.edu/finding-aids/D143#contentlist
Collection Overview
Title: Franklin Hanford Papers
Creator: Hanford, Franklin, 1844-
Call Number: D.143
Dates: 1864-1936
Physical Description: 24 boxes
Language(s): Materials are in English
Repository: Department of Rare Books, Special Collections, and Preservation
Subject(s):
Correspondence
Photographs
Hanford, Franklin, 1844-

It just lists the contents of the boxes. You would phsyically have to sign them out to see them. When you scroll down it just says "Photographs taken while..." but there are no actual photographs in that online print :-/

I also feel there must be an image, but unfortunately that does not mean it will be available online.
I would start by contacting the naval academy archives. I have found the staff to be helpful and friendly.
From there, I would search the Library of Congress (which may have something online) and the Nat Archives.
Good luck in your search.

I also feel there must be an image, but unfortunately that does not mean it will be available online.
I would start by contacting the naval academy archives. I have found the staff to be helpful and friendly.
From there, I would search the Library of Congress (which may have something online) and the Nat Archives.
Good luck in your search.

You sir, thank you. I found a young image of him in 1866 from the Naval Acadamy digital archives. I apologize for my ignorance. As someone who didn't come from any kind of military back ground AT ALL, it's honestly just not on my mind to think to search the military branch archives. It was hiding in plain sight and I appreciate you ending my hours long search!

ACWC

Back