1891 – 1897: Member of Texas State Railroad Commission​
1897 – 1903: Chairman of Texas State Railroad Commission​
Founder of Texas State Historical Association​

Died: March 6, 1905

Place of Death: Palestine, Texas

Age at time of Death: 86 years old

Cause of Death: Pneumonia

Burial Place: East Hill Cemetery, Palestine, Texas

Grave Location: Right 1/10th mile on first crossroad after Lacy St. entrance, then 35 feet to right

Last edited by a moderator:
It's funny as can be you've done his bio here because last night after coming up with a writing project, I decided I need to get a copy of his memoirs before doing it. His accounts of the Battle of the Neches in 1839 are interesting, where if I remember right, he was one of the negotiators with the Cherokee, and he tried to stop a war. I do remember the death of Chief Bowles and the militia's conduct sickened him.

Also the only Postmaster General to run the postal system to where it showed a profit.

It's funny as can be you've done his bio here because last night after coming up with a writing project, I decided I need to get a copy of his memoirs before doing it. His accounts of the Battle of the Neches in 1839 are interesting, where if I remember right, he was one of the negotiators with the Cherokee, and he tried to stop a war. I do remember the death of Chief Bowles and the militia's conduct sickened him.

Also the only Postmaster General to run the postal system to where it showed a profit.

His parents are buried on the hill behind Fanny Farckles arcade in Gatlinburg I have actually been to there grave I just haven't made it to Texas yet maybe one day. I have like over 200 all over the state to photograph the graves.

His parents are buried on the hill behind Fanny Farckles arcade in Gatlinburg I have actually been to there grave I just haven't made it to Texas yet maybe one day. I have like over 200 all over the state to photograph the graves.

Yeah and I bet they're spread out all over the place and Texas is a big place. I need to go see his grave myself.

Before going into politics before the war He was also a surveyor, justice of the peace and a farmer. At the very beginning of the war He got alot of important US Postal Workers to come over to the Confederate side. Most of the workers that did "come over" brought alot of information about how to run a postal service.

The bio accompying this thread about Reagan states that He was Confederate States Treasury Secretary. I've never heard this before.Memminger and Trenholm were the only two Treasury Secretarys that I'd ever heard of. Granted He did accompany the President with what was left of the Treasury on a flight from fallen Richmond but that alone doesn't make him the Secretary. He was still Postmaster General on this trip wasn't he?
I stand corrected Reagan did take over for Trenholm temporarily when the real secretary was left behind due to ill health.Was He sworn in?

Last edited:
This past Saturday,I attended the annual Hood's Texas Brigade Association Reactivated Symposium in Fort Worth, Texas. This year's theme was "Giants Of The Texas Confederacy". One of the speaker topics was "Frances R. Lubbock & John H. Reagan: To The Bitter End". Both were Texans and the only Cabinet members who fled Richmond with Pres. Davis and stayed with him until all were captured at Irwinville, Georgia. All 3 were sent to separate prisons. I believe Reagan was released in November 1865.

This past Saturday,I attended the annual Hood's Texas Brigade Association Reactivated Symposium in Fort Worth, Texas. This year's theme was "Giants Of The Texas Confederacy". One of the speaker topics was "Frances R. Lubbock & John H. Reagan: To The Bitter End". Both were Texans and the only Cabinet members who fled Richmond with Pres. Davis and stayed with him until all were captured at Irwinville, Georgia. All 3 were sent to separate prisons. I believe Reagan was released in November 1865.
Interestingly Lubbock did indeed accompany Jefferson Davis not as a Cabinet Member but as a member of Davis' staff.

Interestingly Lubbock did indeed accompany Jefferson Davis not as a Cabinet Member but as a member of Davis' staff.
Yep. That's right. I stand corrected. I wrote that down at the symposium but I didn't go back and check my notes before I posted. Reagan was the only Cabinet member there.

I just read where Reagan had 17 differant stamps printed for the Confederate Postal system. 11 of them had Jefferson Davis' likenesses on them.The Davis likeness was chosen to get the General population acquainted with their new president. Alot of them had no idea what he even looked like.

The bio accompying this thread about Reagan states that He was Confederate States Treasury Secretary. I've never heard this before.Memminger and Trenholm were the only two Treasury Secretarys that I'd ever heard of. Granted He did accompany the President with what was left of the Treasury on a flight from fallen Richmond but that alone doesn't make him the Secretary. He was still Postmaster General on this trip a wasn't he?
I stand corrected Reagan did take over for Trenholm temporarily when the real secretary was left behind due to ill health.Was He sworn in?
According to Wikipedia, Trenholm only served until April 27, 1865. It also states that Reagan was sworn in after Trenholm resigned and then served as acting Treasury Secretary until his capture on May 10th. Granted he never was confirmed by the Senate and this was supposedly temporary but did Trenholm really resign? Or was this staying behind meant to be just that "staying behind but still Treasury Secretary"?

The only CS cabinet member from West of the Mississippi,he was also the only cabinet member to oppose Lee's offensive into Pennsylvania. He supported a proposal that Lee detach his 1st Corps and come to the assistance and rescue of Vicksburg.

He didn't loose the next election as Senator,he resigned and took the position of chairman of the Railroad Commission when the offer was made by the Texas Governor Stephen "Jim"Hogg.

Back