Reading Union pension military service reports by recorded time line-Example included

If anyone here is familiar with or interested in reading reports of an individual soldiers military service as it would be reported to the pension office, here is one for you to check out. This is for John Wilson Larrish of the Pennsylvania 50th Company E. He served for almost entire war. It would appear that he did it all and seen it all.

I am a little confused when I read this report in my ancestors pension records because there appear more dates on the time line than events recorded for muster and medical. Its seems to me that there are some dates that may be non-events, but I am not completely sure. Please let me know what you think.

Attachments

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

lelliott19

Captain
Forum Host
Silver Patron
there appear more dates on the time line than events recorded for muster and medical. Its seems to me that there are some dates that may be non-events,
Hello David and welcome to Civil War Talk. Happy to help with interpretation of the pension records of your ancestor. All the dates seem to correspond to recorded events to me. Ive transcribed the record in a timeline format for ease of interpretation.

John W Larrish, Capt. Diehl's Company, E, 50th Pennsylvania Infantry. Enlisted August 29, 1861; Mustered out August 7, 1865.

Company Muster Rolls show him present except for the following:
August 31, 1862 - recorded as: Absent without leave, having left the company while in action near Bull Run, Va. August 29, 1862. Reduced to ranks.
June 25, 1863 - recorded as: Present with remark Absent without leave from June 8 to June 21 inclusive.
October 31, 1863 - recorded as: Detailed as brigade wheelright Sept 27, 1863.
June 30, 1864 - recorded as: Deserted at Ny River, Va. May 9, 1864.
February 28, 1865 - recorded as: In convalescent camp at Annapolis MD. Same to June 30, 1865.

Prisoner of War Records:
June 13, 1864 - Captured at Old Church, Va.
June 14, 1864 - Confined at Richmond, Va.
June 21, 1864 - Sent to Andersonville, Ga.
November 26, 1864 - Paroled at Savannah, Ga.
December 14, 1864 - Furloughed for 30 days; returned January 18, 1865.

Medical Records show him treated as follows:
January 27 to May 21, 1865 - As "John W. Larrish" Pvt Co E 50th Pa for "debilitas" <weakness or feebleness.>
May 25 to June 28, 1865 - As "J. W. Larrish" &c <meaning Pvt Co E 50th Pa> Convt pow <convalescent POW> Typhoid fever.
June 29 to August 9, 1865 - As "John Larrish" &c Typhoid fever
August 9, 1865 - discharged from service GO 77, AGO <meaning General Orders #77 Adjutant Generals Office>
Nothing additional found.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!