Reading an Appomattox Court House Paroled Prisoner's Pass

JohnOrtegae

Private
Found this in a book during a recent antiques appraisal and pick. I am trying to identify the regiment information and the names. The unfortunate thing about finding this document is the thought of how many books I left behind, and did not flip through. Hopefully I can get back in before the dumpster comes!!

20200620_121010 (1).jpg

Usually the two signatures are the actual person signing on the upper line (most likely a junior officer acting as an aide) and the real officer in charge in the line below (whose name is written in by the person on the upper line). Would Grant have been the one to authorize the passes?

1592931252439.png

… And now I see a typo on the pass, it reads "prisonor" instead of "prisoner" - do you think it's a fake, then?
These passes were printed inside the Clover Hill Tavern in the village of Appomattox Courthouse which still stands and is set up inside as a display replicating its use as an improvised print shop using traveling army presses used by headquarters for various purposes. Since they were typeset and printed in such an offhand manner there's no reason typos wouldn't be pretty common!

1592931178217.png

A display case contains a nice selection of surviving original passes like this one.
1592931208320.png

View attachment 363534

These passes were printed inside the Clover Hill Tavern in the village of Appomattox Courthouse which still stands and is set up inside as a display replicating its use as an improvised print shop using traveling army presses used by headquarters for various purposes. Since they were typeset and printed in such an offhand manner there's no reason typos wouldn't be pretty common!

View attachment 363532

A display case contains a nice selection of surviving original passes like this one.
View attachment 363533
James, great minds ... maybe the replicas where also printed there!

Back