Lincoln Read That Every Northern State Except NJ Voted For Lincoln in 1860

It was, but it was also non-Republican. Pennsylvania was, as well, but I understand the Lincoln people made a few promises about steel tariffs and distribution of spoils.

ole

muzzleloader said:
Why would NJ not? I would expect them to be very pro Union.

In New Jersey Lincoln did lose the popular vote, but Lincoln won 4 of 7 electoral college votes in the state since Lincoln won a majority of New Jersey's districts.

Besides, I think northerners have to vote based on who they want without listening to threats of secession if Lincoln wins.

muzzleloader said:

NJ was traditionally aligned with the South on most issues. Although slavery had been outlawed their, it took over 40 years to emancipate their slaves and there were in factct some 36 "slaves" not still in the state, almost all in one county in the center of the state.

The major issue the state differed from the South on was the Tariff, largely because of the Newark-to-Patterson industrial area.

Southern planters traditionally sent far more sons to Princeton than Yale or Harvard. NJ was the only Northern state to see more people emigrate South of the Mason-Dixon Line before the war instead of North of it.

But in 1860, NJ Democrats were fractured into Breckinridge, Bell, and Douglass supporters. Lincoln lost the districts where there was a "fusion" ticket of Breckinridge, Bell, and Douglass people. He won where the Douglass people refused to join with the rest, it seems.

Regards,
Tim

Whether New Jersey should be considered the only Northern state not to have voted for Lincoln depends on what you consider a Northern state.

All the electoral votes of both Maryland and Delaware went to John Breckinridge in 1860. You could argue that Maryland, generally considered a border state, was not really a Northern state, but I would think that Delaware, which does not share a border with any of the states that actually joined the Confederacy, should be counted as a Northern state.

New Jersey sucked then, and it sucks even more now!

Yes I am a transplanted Pennsy gilr living in northern jersey!

arrrg! I hate it here... wiat, what were we talking about?

California vote in 1860

California did vote for Lincoln but only in the North . Los Angeles area Lincoln came in Third . Many former southerners lives in this area .

Thank, Susan.

The total votes in California for Douglas plus Breckinridge totalled about 72,000 vs. about 39,000 for Lincoln (or maybe 48,000 for Lincoln plus Bell). I find this quite remarkable, as Lincoln got all 4 of the Electoral votes!

Many Californians believed in states rights. Not slavery per say but States Rights. We were to be two states north and south . It has passed the state legislature but US legislature put an end to it as the balance would have been off in Senate . So many people supported the south here for that reason .

Funny thing is I know many Northern Californians today would still love to see the state divided in half Of course no one wants Bakersfield so it will never happen.
Susan

Lincoln's 43,000 votes was probably the highest any of the four. Therefore he won all the electoral votes.

Don't know how Jersey managed to split electoral votes; I had understood that a winner-take-all rule was in effect.

Ole

Susan Sweet said:
Funny thing is I know many Northern Californians today would still love to see the state divided in half Of course no one wants Bakersfield so it will never happen.
Susan

What! Do you all disown Buck Owens and the Buckaroos?

I corrected an numbers error I made last night (late).

In California, Lincoln beat Douglas by a mere 734 votes.
(38,773-37,999)

-

muzzleloader said:

Douglas won more votes in NJ than Lincoln, and Douglas and his supporters were very pro-Union.

Regards,
Cash

michiganmoon said:
In New Jersey Lincoln did lose the popular vote, but Lincoln won 4 of 7 electoral college votes in the state since Lincoln won a majority of New Jersey's districts.

Lincoln won 3 of the 4 electoral votes in NJ. Douglas won the other 4.

Regards,
Cash

trice said:
NJ was traditionally aligned with the South on most issues. Although slavery had been outlawed their, it took over 40 years to emancipate their slaves and there were in factct some 36 "slaves" not still in the state, almost all in one county in the center of the state.

18 slaves, known as "apprentices for life," and they were distributed among six counties in North-Central New Jersey.

There was 1 male slave between the ages of 60 and 70 and 3 female slaves between 70 and 80 in Hunterdon County; 1 female slave between 60 and 70 in Middlesex County; 1 female slave between 60 and 70 in Morris County; 1 female slave between 30 and 40 and 1 female slave between 70 and 80 in Passaic County; 2 male slaves between 60 and 70, 2 male slaves and 2 female slaves between 70 and 80, 1 male slave and 1 female slave between 80 and 90, and 1 female slave over 100 in Somerset County; and 1 female slave between 70 and 80 in Warren County.

This is from the 1860 US Census.

Location of the counties:

http://tinyurl.com/yuvyut

Lincoln received 58,346 votes in New Jersey, and Douglas received 62,869 votes. Neither Breckenridge nor Bell received any votes in New Jersey as far as I can tell.

Regards,
Cash

Regards,
Cash

hoosier said:
Whether New Jersey should be considered the only Northern state not to have voted for Lincoln depends on what you consider a Northern state.

All the electoral votes of both Maryland and Delaware went to John Breckinridge in 1860. You could argue that Maryland, generally considered a border state, was not really a Northern state, but I would think that Delaware, which does not share a border with any of the states that actually joined the Confederacy, should be counted as a Northern state.

The Mason-Dixon line is normally considered the boundary between North and South. Maryland is below the Mason-Dixon line, since it is the boundary between Maryland and Pennsylvania. Most of Delaware falls below the line if it were to be extended east in a straight line. Additionally, Delaware was a slave state.

Regards,
Cash

cash said:
Lincoln won 3 of the 4 electoral votes in NJ. Douglas won the other 4.

Regards,
Cash

Are you sure? I was able to find a few sources that say that Lincoln did in fact win 4 of 7 electoral votes in New Jersey.

http://www.mtholyoke.edu/~ewdow/Politics%20116/electionof1860-2.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_1860
http://www.etymonline.com/cw/1860.htm
http://teachpol.tcnj.edu/amer_pol_hist/fi/000000bd.htm
http://www.dbappdev.com/Acs/elec1860/elecmap.htm

samgrant said:
Thank, Susan.

The total votes in California for Douglas plus Breckinridge totalled about 72,000 vs. about 43,500 for Lincoln (or maybe 55,000 for Lincoln plus Bell). I find this quite remarkable, as Lincoln got all 4 of the Electoral votes!

I show Lincoln received 38,733 votes in California while Douglas received 37,999 votes, Breckenridge 33,969 votes, and Bell 9,111 votes, for a total of 81,079 opposition votes. California was winner-take-all for its electoral votes, so Lincoln received all 4.

Regards,
Cash

Susan Sweet said:
Many Californians believed in states rights. Not slavery per say but States Rights. We were to be two states north and south . It has passed the state legislature but US legislature put an end to it as the balance would have been off in Senate . So many people supported the south here for that reason .

State rights wasn't an issue in the 1860 election except that southerners were against northerners exercising their state rights to pass personal liberty laws and they were against northern citizen exercising state rights to oppose the fugitive slave law.

The big issue in the 1860 election was slavery--specifically the expansion of slavery into the territories.

Regards,
Cash

michiganmoon said:

You might be right. The info I have shows Lincoln receiving 3 electoral votes and Douglas receiving 4, but unfortunately I didn't write down where I got it.

Regards,
Cash

Back