Forrest Re: Jesse Anderson Forrest

Welcome to the forum, Dorinda :wavespin: from Alabama the beautiful state!

Thank you, everyone, for all of the welcomes! BTW, I was shocked to see that everything I wrote on this forum appeared on the internet! Has anyone had any problems with this?

Hello,
I am the grand niece of Sarah Mabry, who was married to Jesse Anderson Forrest. My ggrandfather was Richard A. Mabry, brother to Sarah.

I saw some posts on here from Diane N. Smith @dnsmith00 in New Johnsonville, TN. She posted some pictures which were just like the ones in my ggrandmother's trunk!!! She also said that she had pictures of Richard. I am very interested in contacting her so that we can exchange information and photos. I have many photos of the Forrest family and a lot of info to share.

Does anyone know Diane or how I may contact her?

I have researched our families for the past 50 years. I have been to Elmwood Cemetery in Memphis many times and found that my ggrandfather, Richard, is buried in the Jesse A. Forrest plot. Richard worked for NBF and ran his plantation on President's Island. Richard contracted Yellow Fever in the great epidemic of 1878 and died. I have lots of Forrest info because I personally corresponded with Martha Finger (JAF's granddaughter) and Mrs. C.T. Bradley who had NBF's saber and was at the dedication of his monument in Memphis when they moved NBF and his wife from Elmwood to the city square. They are all dead now, but I saved the pictures and letters. I got to Ripley, MS. the week after Martha had passed away. She asked me to come many times, but I had to work and could not get there. I really regret not going before she passed away.

I ran ads in the Memphis newspapers for several years trying to locate any Forrest descendants so that I could share the pictures and all of my info, but never got one response. I made many a trip to Memphis researching libraries, collections and even hired a researcher once. I have been trying all of these years to find out who Richard and Sarah's parents are and prove who I think they are.

If anyone can help me find Diane N. Smith, I would appreciate it. I live in Grapevine, TX.

Thank you for your help.

Dorinda Mabry
Hello Dorinda,
I am the General's wife's descendent, from the Montgomery family; I am a cousin to Kevin Bradley, the General's direct descendent on the Forrest side! I am starting a book of photos on the Forrest family photos, I have about 60 photos, of which I did a small album in 2002 with 24 of the best of my collection, and am now going to expand it to 200 photos and stories of the General's family life as well as his military life and after the war. I only have two photos of Jessie and his wife that were taken after the war and would be interested in having more for the book and any of the General and Mary Ann. I know Jessie and Sarah had 6 or 7 children and would love to add them to the book, any stories and or photos would be of great help. I know Jessie had a small farm outside of Memphis when they came back from Texas and a horse business and two houses in Memphis, one of which the General died in! My email address is : [email protected]

Hello,
I am the grand niece of Sarah Mabry, who was married to Jesse Anderson Forrest. My ggrandfather was Richard A. Mabry, brother to Sarah.

I saw some posts on here from Diane N. Smith @dnsmith00 in New Johnsonville, TN. She posted some pictures which were just like the ones in my ggrandmother's trunk!!! She also said that she had pictures of Richard. I am very interested in contacting her so that we can exchange information and photos. I have many photos of the Forrest family and a lot of info to share.

Does anyone know Diane or how I may contact her?

I have researched our families for the past 50 years. I have been to Elmwood Cemetery in Memphis many times and found that my ggrandfather, Richard, is buried in the Jesse A. Forrest plot. Richard worked for NBF and ran his plantation on President's Island. Richard contracted Yellow Fever in the great epidemic of 1878 and died. I have lots of Forrest info because I personally corresponded with Martha Finger (JAF's granddaughter) and Mrs. C.T. Bradley who had NBF's saber and was at the dedication of his monument in Memphis when they moved NBF and his wife from Elmwood to the city square. They are all dead now, but I saved the pictures and letters. I got to Ripley, MS. the week after Martha had passed away. She asked me to come many times, but I had to work and could not get there. I really regret not going before she passed away.

I ran ads in the Memphis newspapers for several years trying to locate any Forrest descendants so that I could share the pictures and all of my info, but never got one response. I made many a trip to Memphis researching libraries, collections and even hired a researcher once. I have been trying all of these years to find out who Richard and Sarah's parents are and prove who I think they are.

If anyone can help me find Diane N. Smith, I would appreciate it. I live in Grapevine, TX.

Thank you for your help.

Dorinda Mabry

Hello again Dorinda,
I am on so many web sites I lost this one and have been trying to find it again, I looked for a phone number in Grapevine for you, wanted to talk just between us, but was unsuccessful, so I will do it this way and hope you get it! You said you had a bunch of pictures of the family, I have about 65 photos of the Forrest family, I made up an 4 X 6 album of the best 24 of the collection, they are loose photos in acid free pages, I did 100 signed, and numbered for the 2002 Sons of Confederate Veterans Reunion at the Peabody Hotel in Memphis, I traded an album for signed, and numbered Civil War Prints from famous artist, like Dale Gallon, John Paul Strain, Dan Nance, and about 10 others, the artist got an extra photo that was the only profile ever done of the General, they have been pirated by others and now are on the internet! Over the years I have set up my display at the Memphis, and a few other Civil War shows and sold copies of the album, I made others on request and then sold them on eBay for $40.00 with free shipping, I just sold the last 2 yesterday, and I will make no more! I am good friends with Kevin Bradley, my cousin by marraige through the Montgomery side of the family, and Kevin is always finding stuff related to his GGGGrandfather, NBF, and has temped me when he sees me at the Memphis show, he knows I am to poor to pay what the items are worth, he usally sells for the first $1000.00 offered; in my album the first page was a woodcut of the wedding photo done for the news paper in 1845, it was used on an 1901 UCV Program as they didn't have the actual photo, Kevin brought a picture of the original Daguerreotype that the woodcut was made from, it is now the first photo in the album! This photo has been lost for over 100 years, and I have a copy now, Kevin sold it at the show and may never see the light of day again! If you are interested, if the photos you have are of the Forrest family members, and their children and kin, and identified I would trade you an album for copies of them, even the unidentified, as I may know who they are? I do have 1 album left I kept it hoping that sooner or later I would find you! I will not make anymore albums, unless I have enough pre-sold to make it worth the effort, I have only made a total of 200, so many of my pictures have been posted on the internet, the album was copyrighted, but it was too time consuming to try and fight these people! Let me know, my email address is [email protected], hope to hear from you soon! Gene

Back