Forrest Re: Jesse Anderson Forrest

Dorinda

Cadet
Hello,
I am the grand niece of Sarah Mabry, who was married to Jesse Anderson Forrest. My ggrandfather was Richard A. Mabry, brother to Sarah.

I saw some posts on here from Diane N. Smith @dnsmith00 in New Johnsonville, TN. She posted some pictures which were just like the ones in my ggrandmother's trunk!!! She also said that she had pictures of Richard. I am very interested in contacting her so that we can exchange information and photos. I have many photos of the Forrest family and a lot of info to share.

Does anyone know Diane or how I may contact her?

I have researched our families for the past 50 years. I have been to Elmwood Cemetery in Memphis many times and found that my ggrandfather, Richard, is buried in the Jesse A. Forrest plot. Richard worked for NBF and ran his plantation on President's Island. Richard contracted Yellow Fever in the great epidemic of 1878 and died. I have lots of Forrest info because I personally corresponded with Martha Finger (JAF's granddaughter) and Mrs. C.T. Bradley who had NBF's saber and was at the dedication of his monument in Memphis when they moved NBF and his wife from Elmwood to the city square. They are all dead now, but I saved the pictures and letters. I got to Ripley, MS. the week after Martha had passed away. She asked me to come many times, but I had to work and could not get there. I really regret not going before she passed away.

I ran ads in the Memphis newspapers for several years trying to locate any Forrest descendants so that I could share the pictures and all of my info, but never got one response. I made many a trip to Memphis researching libraries, collections and even hired a researcher once. I have been trying all of these years to find out who Richard and Sarah's parents are and prove who I think they are.

If anyone can help me find Diane N. Smith, I would appreciate it. I live in Grapevine, TX.

Thank you for your help.

Dorinda Mabry

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello! Welcome. I'm one of the hosts of the Nathan B Forrest forum - we have several family members who post there - you may be able to find Diane or others who can help you out as well. We have @DSessom from the Luxton side who is also in Texas. @dnsmith00 , hello! It's always delightful for us to see family here - lots of extra information! :D

Hmm! Doesn't look like her addy is right. @7th Mississippi Infantry , @Nathanb1 - yoohoo!

Welcome to the forum Dorinda, from South Florida
Hello, I do not know what an "addy" is ? If I did something wrong, I am sorry, I am old! Anyway, does anyone know who Sarah and Richard Mabry's parents were?

Also, I will soon post everything I know about the Forrest family. I am sure all of you know most of it, but, perhaps, there is something new in my material for you. I hope so.

Hello, I do not know what an "addy" is ? If I did something wrong, I am sorry, I am old! Anyway, does anyone know who Sarah and Richard Mabry's parents were?

Also, I will soon post everything I know about the Forrest family. I am sure all of you know most of it, but, perhaps, there is something new in my material for you. I hope so.
Also, I am interested in any pictures of Jesse, Sarah and Richard.

Here's a picture from Ancestry.

upload_2017-9-29_10-35-10.jpeg

An ancestry family tree says that Richard Alonzo Mabry's parents were George Washington Mabry and Susan Atkinson. He was married to Sarah Evalina Williams in Rusk TX.

Hello,
I am the grand niece of Sarah Mabry, who was married to Jesse Anderson Forrest. My ggrandfather was Richard A. Mabry, brother to Sarah.

I saw some posts on here from Diane N. Smith in New Johnsonville, TN. She posted some pictures which were just like the ones in my ggrandmother's trunk!!! She also said that she had pictures of Richard. I am very interested in contacting her so that we can exchange information and photos. I have many photos of the Forrest family and a lot of info to share.

Does anyone know Diane or how I may contact her?

I have researched our families for the past 50 years. I have been to Elmwood Cemetery in Memphis many times and found that my ggrandfather, Richard, is buried in the Jesse A. Forrest plot. Richard worked for NBF and ran his plantation on President's Island. Richard contracted Yellow Fever in the great epidemic of 1878 and died. I have lots of Forrest info because I personally corresponded with Martha Finger (JAF's granddaughter) and Mrs. C.T. Bradley who had NBF's saber and was at the dedication of his monument in Memphis when they moved NBF and his wife from Elmwood to the city square. They are all dead now, but I saved the pictures and letters. I got to Ripley, MS. the week after Martha had passed away. She asked me to come many times, but I had to work and could not get there. I really regret not going before she passed away.

I ran ads in the Memphis newspapers for several years trying to locate any Forrest descendants so that I could share the pictures and all of my info, but never got one response. I made many a trip to Memphis researching libraries, collections and even hired a researcher once. I have been trying all of these years to find out who Richard and Sarah's parents are and prove who I think they are.

If anyone can help me find Diane N. Smith, I would appreciate it. I live in Grapevine, TX.

Thank you for your help.

Dorinda Mabry
Hello, Dorinda. Welcome. I hope you get all the information you need.

Thank you, I have this one. We believe that G.W. Mabry and Susan Atkinson were the parents, but I woul dlike the lady from New Johnsonville, TN to let me know if she has any other info. Seems the picture she posted of Jesse A. Forrest is the same one I have as well as the picture of Sarah. Many years ago, I had sepia copies made of all of the pictures from Grandmother's trunk. These pictures were given to all of the Mabry's and their children as well as Don Collins, the webmaster for the Mabry website. I am hoping Diane has some different pictures and info for me! I also have pictures of NBF, one of which I sent to Mrs. Bradley because she had never seen that picture before mine.
Thank you for all of your help!!
Dorinda

Hello Dorinda!

I am the 2nd great grandson of James Madison (Matt) Luxton, who was half brother to Nathan Bedford and the Forrest brothers. I was born in Pecos, Texas but have lived in Lawton, Oklahoma most of my life. I enjoy history, mainly because of my family background, and recently became the Vice President of the Southwestern Oklahoma Historical Society.

Nice to meet you!

Dwayne

Back