Re-enactments this year..

Anyone going to Gettysburg during the first week of July? Thinking about ditching the snow here in Nova Scotia.....and it should be melted by then...I think....

i think i saw somewhere that there is a reenactment going on at the end of june on part of the original battlefield that is privately owned. i think its around the seminary somewhere. unfortunately i don't remember if i saw it on here or on facebook, but you might want to look into that opportunity. have fun!!!

Turns out if I get there, it's the end of July. That's what happens when your dog is nut and your dogsitter is in demand!!

We go to Gettysburg frequently. If you plan a trip in July and want to meet-up during your trip, post or PM in advance. We'll see if our schedule will coordinate with your itinerary.
MRB; you are soooo lucky! Gettysburg, or Hanover maybe, or York are among the first on my list of where I'm finally going to move to be in the midst of the history I so love. Do you have any "advice" on the surrounding towns? (I don't like crowds)...

MRB; you are soooo lucky! Gettysburg, or Hanover maybe, or York are among the first on my list of where I'm finally going to move to be in the midst of the history I so love. Do you have any "advice" on the surrounding towns? (I don't like crowds)...
Rhett,
There are some really neat small towns near Gettysburg worth looking into. Google map some and take a virtual drive through them by using their street view cam. Try East Berlin, Dillsburg, Franklintown, York Springs, Biglerville, New Oxford (an antique center), Abbottstown, Boiling Springs and some of the outlying areas with a country atmosphere as there are many suburban "neighborhoods" all through this region of the state. Many are convenient to shopping, hospitals, etc. but are away from the maddening crowd. York and Hanover are more highly populated and may seem crowded to you. Both Hanover and York do have suburban sprawl and outlying areas that are not as densely populated. We lived in rural Franklin Township which lies between Dillsburg and York Springs. It's a beautiful area that is also rich in history. Have done much research on some of the early settlers and founding families in that area. Some of the homes still have a blacksmith shop, out-kitchen or other period structure on the property. Interesting and may suit your fancy. Feel comfortable to PM if any queries you wish not to post to the public forum.

And if you move to Dillsburg, you get to watch the dill pickle drop on New Year's Eve! I had a roommate in college (Penn State) whose boyfriend was from Dillsburg who talked about the Dill Pickle drop.:smile:

This Labor Day weekend I saw a Civil War Re-enactment at Museum Village in Monroe, NY. Excellent cannon firing, great representations of CSA and Union troops, authentic camp sites and loved the black powder gun fire and troop skirmishes. Had a blast!

The organization which has been responsible for coordinating the annual reenactments at Gettysburg for the last quarter century or so has announced that it will no longer be doing so as of 2020. A decline in the numbers of both re-enactors and spectators was cited as the reason.

There is some talk that some other organization may pick up the torch and arrange for a continuation of reenactments. Nothing definite yet. At least they have another 10 months to pull it together.

Back