Raymond Battlefield Park Addition

Congratulations to all who have made this labor of respect and love! Looking forward to visiting the site next time I drive to Vicksburg(Now that I know how to get there!!)
Regards
David
Yeah, you should be thoroughly familiar with the area ALL around Raymond!! Ha! Let me know if you come down, would love to show you around!!

Just received this from General Hills. It is his latest writing for Blue and Gray Education Society. Very nice gift. I can’t wait to read it!!

7E0F0A57-4AC5-4A7E-B96E-D926C80E6EC5.jpeg

Thanks so much for all the time, labor and money to achieve all this.

I've been wanting to drag my wife along with me for a trip up to Vicksburg [from Hattiesburg, MS] and the related sites such as Raymond. We'll get there eventually and I look forward to enjoying the fruits of your effort.
Let me know when you come down, I’ll be glad to show you around the place.

Just received this from General Hills. It is his latest writing for Blue and Gray Education Society. Very nice gift. I can’t wait to read it!!

View attachment 381586
Are those available for purchase? Love to get my hands on one. This thread got bumped back to the top of the home page. I have not been back to Raymond since all the new stuff went up and I am itching for a return trip, in better weather than last time. "If it ain't raining, it ain't training." he said. :biggrin:

Are those available for purchase? Love to get my hands on one. This thread got bumped back to the top of the home page. I have not been back to Raymond since all the new stuff went up and I am itching for a return trip, in better weather than last time. "If it ain't raining, it ain't training." he said. :biggrin:
I will certainly find out!

Lemme know as soon as you find out so I can place my order posthaste.

Received this communication from General Hills:

“The book has not yet been officially released, and it is scheduled to be mailed out to approximately 475 members of the Blue and Gray Education Society early next week. Shortly thereafter it will be on sale on the Blue and Gray Education Society website (just Google Blue and Gray Education Society) by going to the site and clicking onto the bookstore. . . .”

He goes on to mention a few other things, but the next paragraph reflects the selflessness and dedication that General Hills and others have for Civil War preservation:

“I donated all of my work, to include research, writing, art, map work, and layout to Blue and Gray . . . . A friend of mine, . . . in Texas donated the funds to print the book. So, whatever Blue and Gray, Raymond, and Grand Gulf can make on book sales will be 100% profit for their preservation missions. I delivered a box of 40 books to Grand Gulf Military Park for the Visitor Center in the park to sell, and I left 30 copies at the Raymond Visitor Center for Friends of Raymond. I donated the books to both Grand Gulf and Raymond for them to sell to advance their interpretation missions. I do not think that Friends of Raymond has a sales outlet at this time. . . .”

“As of this very moment, the only place to buy the book is at GrandGulf Military Park. In the next week or so I am sure it will be available on the Blue and Gray Education Society website. In the future, I hope that it will be stocked at the NPS Military Park Visitor Centers in both Vicksburg and Corinth, and perhaps at the Two Museums bookstore in Jackson.”

“The book has not yet been officially released, and it is scheduled to be mailed out to approximately 475 members of the Blue and Gray Education Society early next week. Shortly thereafter it will be on sale on the Blue and Gray Education Society website (just Google Blue and Gray Education Society) by going to the site and clicking onto the bookstore. . . .”

He goes on to mention a few other things, but the next paragraph reflects the selflessness and dedication that General Hills and others have for Civil War preservation:

“I donated all of my work, to include research, writing, art, map work, and layout to Blue and Gray . . . . A friend of mine, . . . in Texas donated the funds to print the book. So, whatever Blue and Gray, Raymond, and Grand Gulf can make on book sales will be 100% profit for their preservation missions. I delivered a box of 40 books to Grand Gulf Military Park for the Visitor Center in the park to sell, and I left 30 copies at the Raymond Visitor Center for Friends of Raymond. I donated the books to both Grand Gulf and Raymond for them to sell to advance their interpretation missions. I do not think that Friends of Raymond has a sales outlet at this time. . . .”

“As of this very moment, the only place to buy the book is at GrandGulf Military Park. In the next week or so I am sure it will be available on the Blue and Gray Education Society website. In the future, I hope that it will be stocked at the NPS Military Park Visitor Centers in both Vicksburg and Corinth, and perhaps at the Two Museums bookstore in Jackson.”
Cool. I am on the email list of B&GES. I am sure I will get a notice about it. I am sure they won't last long at Grand Gulf.

Fyi. As of today,it is still not available for purchase on the B&GES website.

I have periodically checked the website since then and haven't seen the book available for purchase yet. Got any information on that?

I have periodically checked the website since then and haven't seen the book available for purchase yet. Got any information on that?

Just heard back from General Hills. He says BGES is behind on getting their web site updated — they told him it might not be until March of this year before it is ready.

However, he went on to add this, which might be a good place to order the book as it will help out a very good organization struggling to maintain historical preservation:

“I just contacted Susan McCaa, the manager at Grand Gulf Military Park. A large supply of the Grand Gulf to Raymond Driving Tour Guide has been donated to the park so that their bookstore may sell them to help keep that valuable park funded. After all, each year it is a battle to keep the legislative funding for that State Park, and I have been working with Blue and Gray to help them out, to include the restoration all 33 of the park's aluminum interpretive markers in 2018.

I was just advised that Grand Gulf will be happy to sell them to your folks, and the park will mail them out, preferably in bulk but individually if need be. Here is the contact information:

Grand Gulf Park
12006 Grand Gulf Road
Port Gibson, MS 39150
(601)437-5911
[email protected]

If you run into any more difficulties, please let me know, and I will make sure that your folks get the chance to order the book. I'm very pleased that they are interested.

Parker”

The reason for so much unfired ammunition in the Raymond area was because it was pouring down rain when the battle was going on.Where the Union troops camped following the battle of Raymond along Mississippi Springs and Snake Creek we found whole cartridge boxes ,up to 40 rounds, dumped out when fresh ammunition was issued. I found the Confederate burial trench along the creek near where the bridge crosses. The remains had been reburied at the Raymond city cemetery at the turn of the century. There were scant remains left in the trench.
Bill Wright ex historical -archeologist
Mississippi Department of Archives and History

Back