Rattlesnake at the Vicksburg National Military Park

That I don't remember those places, as my exercise (Devil's Strike) at Irwin was while enlisted in the Army. Was in "The Big Red One" at the time.
I have to ask even if it is slightly off topic, 'The Big Red One' very famous over here in the UK thanks to an old movie, is it true that the RED ONE was cut from a German uniform or is that a myth?

I have to ask even if it is slightly off topic, 'The Big Red One' very famous over here in the UK thanks to an old movie, is it true that the RED ONE was cut from a German uniform or is that a myth?
I am not certain of the story, fact, fiction or myth. No surprise as my brain has trouble regressing that many years, about some things.

I am not certain of the story, fact, fiction or myth. No surprise as my brain has trouble regressing that many years, about some things.
Its probably a myth, I think the 'Bloody First' were called the big red one after the 'Big Red One' on the shoulder patch, I could have sworn that the red one was removed from a German uniform during WW1 but I had probably just seen it in the movie.

Its probably a myth, I think the 'Bloody First' were called the big red one after the 'Big Red One' on the shoulder patch, I could have sworn that the red one was removed from a German uniform during WW1 but I had probably just seen it in the movie.
That movie was in my opinion one of Lee Marvin's best and since he had seen combat with the Marine Corps in WWII he knew what he was doing.

Several years ago, I sat down on the corner of a monument at Antietam for a break and a snake came out from under the monument and slithered across my foot. When I regained control, I headed to the Visitor's Center to regroup and when I told the Ranger about my encounter; he told me the snake's name and that it lived under the monument. He seemed more concerned about what I had done to the reptile more than what the reptile had done to me. Also, keep in mind that it is mating season and this makes them even more aggressive.

I was just at Antietam the first week of May and was walking all along the Cornfield and tried to check out as many monuments as I could, and down into the sunken lane, and oh, now I'm doing my anti-snake dance and have the willies.

I was just at Antietam the first week of May and was walking all along the Cornfield and tried to check out as many monuments as I could, and down into the sunken lane, and oh, now I'm doing my anti-snake dance and have the willies.
I did not know there were snakes around learned something new every day.

Rattlesnakes are actually quite beneficial since their primary diet is rodents, mainly mice (and for the bigger ones) rats and gophers. They generally avoid people; just watch where you're putting hands and feet.

However, I don't intend to import rattlers for the mice that recently invaded my house and yard while I was down in Calfornia. I might end up getting a cat, though!
Coming back to this thread a year later, I just want to say that, YES, venomous snakes are quite beneficial with one important proviso: THEY AND I DON'T CROSS PATHS! I understand your preference for a cat.

If I encountered a timber rattler out in its own habitat, I would try to give it a wide right of way. On the other hand, if I encountered one in my backyard, it would probably become a hatband. I know a few of you will object to that attitude, but a lot of you will understand perfectly.

Back