Rattlesnake at the Vicksburg National Military Park

This is not a story, but when MrsMRB was younger, she went into the basement and saw a mouse perched up on its hind legs. She let out a heckuva scream and the mouse dropped over (probably from a heart attack), never to move again! True story she swears to but some have disbelief. I believe it.

Somewhere I read that Yankees at Vicksburg killed a rattler, and because the saps and trenches were so close, they threw it into the Rebel trenches yards away for laughes. Does anyone here remember where that story came from? It may have been from an unpublished diary, but I think it was in a published work about the Siege citing a diarist's account.

Somewhere I read that Yankees at Vicksburg killed a rattler, and because the saps and trenches were so close, they threw it into the Rebel trenches yards away for laughes. Does anyone here remember where that story came from? It may have been from an unpublished diary, but I think it was in a published work about the Siege citing a diarist's account.
That actually sounds quite believable, its the sort of thing I would do, a kind of snake grenade.lol

They're talking about the venom! The same sect believes in another verse that says you can drink poison and not be hurt if you have enough faith. This half-heathen don't! :cold:
I have seen these people holding snakes and shouting gibberish but I never realised that they would drink the venom, you have to have a strong belief to do something like that especially when the Pastor puts up a disclaimer. If I was at that church I would find every excuse under the sun to not drink that venom, I would be like, 'you go first, no you go first, oh that's a shame, I've only gone a spilt it on the floor, see you next time, Bye.'

I have seen these people holding snakes and shouting gibberish but I never realised that they would drink the venom, you have to have a strong belief to do something like that especially when the Pastor puts up a disclaimer. If I was at that church I would find every excuse under the sun to not drink that venom, I would be like, 'you go first, no you go first, oh that's a shame, I've only gone a spilt it on the floor, see you next time, Bye.'

I think this is a Pentecostal offshoot mainly in Appalachia. They believe it shows an anointing of the Holy Spirit and is in obedience to Jesus' commandments on faith. They're also very apt to refuse medical help as they believe in the next part of that verse about laying on of hands and healing a sick person. They're generally more concerned about the future life with Christ than with the life that is here, so if you're bit and die God meant for you to come home with him. It's a fascinating thing but...I'm with you!

I think this is a Pentecostal offshoot mainly in Appalachia. They believe it shows an anointing of the Holy Spirit and is in obedience to Jesus' commandments on faith. They're also very apt to refuse medical help as they believe in the next part of that verse about laying on of hands and healing a sick person. They're generally more concerned about the future life with Christ than with the life that is here, so if you're bit and die God meant for you to come home with him. It's a fascinating thing but...I'm with you!
While I am not judgmental on ones belief, My preference is to exclude reptiles from my religious services. However, I will defend to my death the right for ones choice of religion and belief. Maybe that is why I enlisted when I did.

While I am not judgmental on ones belief, My preference is to exclude reptiles from my religious services. However, I will defend to my death the right for ones choice of religion and belief. Maybe that is why I enlisted when I did.

Yes, I would not interfere with their right to practice their faith as they see fit. However, the state of Georgia did outlaw snake handling and I think there was some other legal action taken against the practice. That was in the 40s, don't know where it stands now.

Yes, I would not interfere with their right to practice their faith as they see fit. However, the state of Georgia did outlaw snake handling and I think there was some other legal action taken against the practice. That was in the 40s, don't know where it stands now.
You know, that sounds like a reason for secession in regards to states' rights.

The only Timber rattler I had a run in with, (or should I say "run over") was SW of Stillwater Oklahoma. I had just asked permission from a landowner to look on an adjacent property of his for Timber Rattlers, and he was thrilled I was willing to do so! Well, I got in my car, pulled out of his driveway, and ran over a perfect 3-footer lying in the middle of the road!

%#*@ it! I was so wanting to collect one for a friend of mine who collected such critters. Well, I cut off the head, a local Science Teacher gave me some formaldehyde to preserve it in. Kept it for several years, donated it to another Science Teacher for his classroom.

That same weekend, A friend (who often went snake collecting with me) went to Okeene, OK, captured a 4 foot long Western Diamondback Rattler, and subsequently got bit by it!

Kevin Dally
Timber Rattler.jpg

Last edited:
Back