Rarely Visited Stone in Gettysburg

wingatecivilwar5

Corporal
I would guess this Stone is rarely visited. Although located in the Gettysburg National Military Park it's hard to find. Made it a point to find it only hours after arriving!
IMG_20190813_194405.jpg

I would guess this Stone is rarely visited. Although located in the Gettysburg National Military Park it's hard to find. Made it a point to find it only hours after arriving! View attachment 320713

Yes, this is one of those markers not frequently visited. In the Rose Woods, off the old electric trolley path, with usually just the trace of a muddy path to it. There are a bunch of “off the beaten path” markers, and particular places like rocks with carvings, on the battlefield that many folks don’t know about, let alone visit.

Is he actually buried there or just the marker? Are there soldiers with markers buried in random places on the battlefield?

He had worked his way up the ranks from a private . A former employer said "Henry standing , walking or speaking exhibited the qualities of superior manhood." When he was first wounded a private Whipple stayed with him and tried to get him off the field . The captain was then mortally wounded and private Whipple stayed with him until the private was captured . I think that fact alone indicates he was well respected by his men .

Yes, this is one of those markers not frequently visited. In the Rose Woods, off the old electric trolley path, with usually just the trace of a muddy path to it. There are a bunch of “off the beaten path” markers, and particular places like rocks with carvings, on the battlefield that many folks don’t know about, let alone visit.
Any suggestions? I'm here until Sunday!!

I wish I had a $20 bill for every time I have almost fallen on that flat rock that lies just off the trolley line as I head back to the Fuller marker. I love it during the summer when every Weed is perfect (not tramped down) on the way back. That proves that it has been a while since anyone was back there,
We went down from behind the 64 NY monument and it had rained. Needless to say we didn't go back up had wife drive around to the 8th NJ to pick us up just before the sky opened again.

Back