Rarely Seen Image of Fallen Confederate Soldier in Slaughter Pen

Gettysburg Greg

First Sergeant
sr stret.jpg

Within one of the Gardner/O'Sullivan Little Round Top panoramas taken on July 6, 1863, William Frassanito discovered a dead Confederate soldier lying next to a distinctive rock that is only visible under very high magnification. The soldier lying on his back with his bent knee in the air is seen next to a large boulder that can easily be found today in front of the Plum Run foot bridge. The rock has been dubbed Smirking Rock by author/historian Garry Adelman because some see a smile or smirk in the unique crack facing the camera. Of the 97 known Civil War images that contain dead soldiers, 37 including this one were photographed at Gettysburg. Below is the magnified 1863 image along with my similar modern view.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the background, just behind the soldier is what looks like a second rock. Does Plum Run flow between the two rocks ?
Thanks for he interest in this post. Some of you might be interested in seeing the uncropped version of the 1863 shot. The unmagnified version needs the arrow to point out the rock in my OP. Check it out if interested, might answer your question regarding Plum Run.
with man.jpg

Here is another view showing a little more of the surrounding area and comparing it to the period photo. It was taken from on top of Devil's Den so it is from a higher angle than the original, but you can still see it a little better. Particularly looking at the rocks to the right forefront of where the dead soldier was. You can also easily see how many rocks were destroyed by construction of the road and trolley lines.

sr mu.jpg

That's probably one of the most interesting then and now pictures that I have seen in a long time, absolutely fascinating, I found myself scrolling between the two pictures, in my mind I was thinking, a man died there, right on that spot there..unbelievable.
Thank you for sharing.
I agree so much. Just touching these rocks gives me a charge.Thumbs up Gettysburg Greg.

It is amazing how they changed the landscape at certain spots. i almost wish they would get rid of the foot bridge. There's not much use to it now that the bathroom isn't back there. On a side note, my wife and sister walked back that path, while I was doing something else, came back and said "wheres the bathroom at??" I said "You're about ten years too late to use the bathroom back there !"

View attachment 116795
Within one of the Gardner/O'Sullivan Little Round Top panoramas taken on July 6, 1863, William Frassanito discovered a dead Confederate soldier lying next to a distinctive rock that is only visible under very high magnification. The soldier lying on his back with his bent knee in the air is seen next to a large boulder that can easily be found today in front of the Plum Run foot bridge. The rock has been dubbed Smirking Rock by author/historian Garry Adelman because some see a smile or smirk in the unique crack facing the camera. Of the 97 known Civil War images that contain dead soldiers, 37 including this one were photographed at Gettysburg. Below is the magnified 1863 image along with my similar modern view.
So amazing, wow!

Back