RARE Gen Nathan Bedford Forrest Signed CDV Sold Over $11000

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

diane

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
I thought it was just a note written on the photo - Forrest let a series of bumps stand for his signature!

connecticut yankee

First Sergeant
A very RARE signed CDV of Gen Forrest recently sold at auction for over $11000. And who said CS stuff was on the down side these days.

Courtesy of Heritage auctions
View attachment 332378
View attachment 332377
This cdv was auctioned off by Heritage Auctions about a week ago. The auction house described the cdv as being very rare and one-of-a-kind, hence the high final bid. Here's the complete story:

ucvrelics

Major
Forum Host
This cdv was auctioned off by Heritage Auctions about a week ago. The auction house described the cdv as being very rare and one-of-a-kind, hence the high final bid. Here's the complete story:

I know all that as I had to stop bidding at 4K. Back when it went in the catalog and I posted it we had a discussion on what it would go for. I wasn't even close at 3k

Last edited:

Forrest

Sergeant
Is that actually signed, or just his name written on the card? It doesn't look like his known signature.

View attachment 332483
I thought the same thing. I've seen many examples of his signature, and just looking at the 'r' and 'F' alone, nothing is correct. Also, looks like only one 'r' in his last name, which would be a common mistake for someone just writing an i.d. on the photo.