NF Raphael Semmes

Non-Fiction
I've noted elsewhere that the ever-shrewd Semmes made sure that his parole form given him listed his general's rank. Naval officers were supposed to be excluded from the general amnesty given military officers, but Semmes was able to use this as part of his defense when he was later arrested. (I don't recall if it was the deciding factor, and I think it was not, but it's an indicator of how Semmes always had an eye on the winds, metaphorically as well as literally.)

I've noted elsewhere that the ever-shrewd Semmes made sure that his parole form given him listed his general's rank. Naval officers were supposed to be excluded from the general amnesty given military officers, but Semmes was able to use this as part of his defense when he was later arrested. (I don't recall if it was the deciding factor, and I think it was not, but it's an indicator of how Semmes always had an eye on the winds, metaphorically as well as literally.)
I would have loved to been able to set and talk to the man. Just imagine the tales he would have been able to tell

He was certainly capable and impressive. But, as I've said lots of times, given the choice I'd choose to spend time with CSS Florida skipper and "prince of blockade runners" John Newland Maffitt. :D

In honor of Rear Admiral/General Raphael Semmes birthday, (I never realized my birthday was so close to his, no wonder he's always been a favorite of mine), @USS ALASKA pointing it out and linking this interesting old thread. I say let this thread be bumped!

As a note, I realize there might be some, lets call them mistakes, we'll call them mistakes, in Semmes' Memoirs of Service Afloat and as someone once pointed out in another thread the book is big enough to kill a badger, I will say it is one of my personal favorites when it comes to memoirs. The first eight chapters are a very interesting legal argument for the legality of secession, and there are two very interesting, if boring, chapters on meteorology offering a very interesting insight to a sailor's view of weather, I'd say its still a very good book. Semmes certainly tried to get it all out in that book, and as someone who enjoys reading people in everyday life, Semmes offers that chance in abundance with his memoirs unlike any other author I've read. It may surprise some folks, but I've made it through it twice and was on my third reading when I loaned my copy out. One must read that larger than the Bible book to soak it all in.

If I had been alive in his time and in need of a lawyer I would have hired them on the spot! If he couldn't get you off I bet the judge and jury would still rule in your favor just to get him to shut up!

Also his waxed mustache would make him fit into one of those "most interesting man in the world" beer commercials nowadays.

Back