Railroad Museum

Ma'am, that is a stylized rendering of this...

1647122064085.png

...I think there are some Streamliner Locos at the B & O Museum - https://www.borail.org/ and the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania - https://rrmuseumpa.org/

As far as active locos, I'm uncertain.

HTHs,
USS ALASKA

@USS ALASKA , thank you so much! Apparently, my love for this engine will be unrequited. It appears to be a J-3a Super Hudson streamliner. According to Wikipedia, the New York Central scrapped all of them when the line went to diesel. The Santa Fe also scrapped their "Blue Goose." :cry:

I do like the pictures of the Norfolk and Western J 611 that @captaindrew posted. That may be as close as I can get. At least it's still out and running about. I understand that Positive Train Control may be a problem for any steam engine and it would have to apply for a waver or have a present-day diesel engine with it (which kind of defeats the purpose of seeing a steam engine out doing its thing).

Can anyone tell me what kind of engine is in this poster? Are there any left? If yes, is there one doing steam excursions?

I just found out that the UP has again retired the Challenger because it needs a rebuild. From the sound of things, I'm not sure the Big Boy will be running again, either, so I'm looking for a new engine to love. The art deco posters for the 20th Century Limited have always intrigued me, so I thought I'd start with that engine.
This project will probably interest you https://prrt1steamlocomotivetrust.org/

This project will probably interest you https://prrt1steamlocomotivetrust.org/
Totally cool, @captaindrew ! Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention.

This all started because I was looking to add a railroad museum to this thread. My plan was the Cheyenne Depot Museum in Cheyenne, Wyoming, not so much for the museum itself, although the building is architecturally significant and might appeal to @carptrash , and I understand there is a very good model railroad layout upstairs, but because that is where you got tickets and a trolley ride to the UP steam shops. The UP steam shops were giving a few tours a year a couple years ago, but there are none scheduled now. Neither could I find a steam excursion schedule for this year. Unfortunately, I found that Challenger had been retired again and rumors that the whole UP steam program might be in trouble. The thought makes me very sad!

The video was interesting. I was wondering where they were going to put the engine together and, as of yet, they have no place. They also mentioned that they haven't spoken to any class I railroad yet about obtaining time/space on their tracks to run excursions (and I understand the reasons). In addition, they mentioned the safety requirements that class I's were likely to demand and stated a willingness to comply. I would love to see this engine come to Railroad Days in West Chicago when it's completed (and if the UP will allow it).

Totally cool, @captaindrew ! Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention.

the building is architecturally significant and might appeal to @carptrash ,
You are absolutely correct and it (the building) has led me on a merry goose chase since discovering your post. The website for the museum, and a few others, get me a "Your Browser Is No Longer Supported" flag when I try to go there. I discovered an article about the building on wikipedia, but for some reason I don't get to see pictures there. Howevr I learned that the architects were Van Brunt & Howe, a Boston firm I am marginally familiar with. I did find pictures elsewhere, so had to go back to wikipedia and make an edit about the style. I found some pictures of the interior and was surrprised to see it had a very art deco feel to it, until I learned that the interior had been redone in 1929. And more, but thanks for pointing the way. Some time I'll tell you about my train song adventure.

Last edited:
This is not yet a museum, but it sounds as if part of it might become one. Railroading Heritage of Midwest America bought the old Rock Island shops in Silvis, Illinois (over by the Quad Cities on the Mississippi). This was announced back in January 2022.

In April 2022, the Union Pacific donated a good part of its heritage fleet to Railroading Heritage of Midwest America. At the top of the list (as far as I'm concerned :smile:) is the Challenger. The plan is to rehab it at Silvis and once again make it operational for excursion runs. Silvis is a bit of a hike from where I live in suburban Chicago, but it sure beats going to Wyoming! I am thrilled, and I really hope this all works out.

This is not yet a museum, but it sounds as if part of it might become one. Railroading Heritage of Midwest America bought the old Rock Island shops in Silvis, Illinois (over by the Quad Cities on the Mississippi). This was announced back in January 2022.

In April 2022, the Union Pacific donated a good part of its heritage fleet to Railroading Heritage of Midwest America. At the top of the list (as far as I'm concerned :smile:) is the Challenger. The plan is to rehab it at Silvis and once again make it operational for excursion runs. Silvis is a bit of a hike from where I live in suburban Chicago, but it sure beats going to Wyoming! I am thrilled, and I really hope this all works out.

On the second link, in the second picture, the green and orange train; I had one of these for a Christmas gift from my Grandad, a Lionel Train that was identical, about 1956 or 1957. Thank you for the sweet memory.
Lubliner.

The Old Depot Museum
1010 Levee Street
Vicksburg, Mississippi 39180

A great part of the Old Depot Museum is dedicated to the railroad industry and features N, O, and HO layouts complete with buildings, scenery, and architecture. We also have hundreds of scale models of vessels, boats and ships dating from the Vikings to the present. The producers of the "Great Ships" on the History Channel not only filmed much of their program using our collections, but they also called them a "Gold Mine". A walk through the Old Depot Museum is a walk through military and maritime history. Ships and boats long forgotten come to life in exact replica. This museum features the only diorama of the Siege of Vicksburg, which provides a birds-eye view of the layout of the battlefield, manned by over 2000 miniature soldiers and is approximately 250 square feet. To fully understand the Siege of Vicksburg, you must grasp the terrain, the leaders, and their strategies, and the people who endured the horrendous 47-day Siege.

The displays of ships that once competed with trains at the Old Depot Museum on Levee Street have in the past year gone to a higher level — the building's second floor. "We started moving them off this floor to make room for the trains," museum Chairman of the Board Dave Benway said, adding the move began in November 2021. "We moved all model ships but the Civil War ships. The Civil War ships stayed on the ground floor." The move was quite a feat, considering the size of the museum's maritime collection of U.S. warships named for Mississippi and Vicksburg, steamers, towboats and Civil War gunboats and rams. "We have one of the largest collections of ships anywhere," Benway said. "Lamar Roberts believed that we had the largest collection of Civil War ships and steamboats. We have about 130 Civil War ships portrayed in models and we have about 160 models of steamboats and towboats and steamers and it keeps on going." A walk or elevator ride to the second floor of the Yazoo & Mississippi Valley Depot that houses the museum reveals a relatively open collection of display cases showing battleships, cruisers and submarines named for Vicksburg or Mississippi. The area that until 2016 held the offices of the Vicksburg Convention and Visitors Bureau now holds cases displaying towboats and steamships, a tribute to area veterans and a display devoted to the steamer Sprague, which was destroyed by fire. Another display was dedicated to Ensign Jesse Brown, the Navy's first African American aviator and a Vicksburg-area native who was shot down and killed in Korea providing cover for Marines withdrawing from the Chosin Reservoir during the Korean War. Brown received the Distinguished Flying Cross posthumously. Benway said future plans include building a 300 square-foot army base in HO railroad scale on the ground floor and a Mississippi room on the third floor with a Mississippians collection, five Mississippi ships and the deck of the World War I cruiser USS Vicksburg, which is presently in storage.

Full article with pics can be read here - https://www.vicksburgpost.com/2022/...-museum-sees-changes-second-floor-renovation/

Cheers,
USS ALASKA

Ma'am, that is a stylized rendering of this...

View attachment 434796

...I think there are some Streamliner Locos at the B & O Museum - https://www.borail.org/ and the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania - https://rrmuseumpa.org/

As far as active locos, I'm uncertain.

HTHs,
USS ALASKA
Its rather like a UK version:
West riding.jpg

and the reality:

A4 4496 Golden Shuttle Wakefield 1938.jpg

A4 4489 Dominion of Canada 1939 (West Riding Ltd) Leeds.jpg

Back