Railroad Links

I have spent HOURS on this site - much to the detriment of other pressing matters...

http://www.railfanguides.us/

"Note: Most railfans I know are interested in more than just trains. So, I have made an effort to put other things of possible interest to the railfan when visiting the areas the guides cover. These include things like Fire and Police Stations, Museums other than train or transit, bridges, Signals, or just plain old interesting stuff. I am always looking for help, pictures, additional information or corrections, so please do not hesitate to shoot me an email. If you wonder how I make my make my maps, click here. My contact info is here

Both
Google Maps and Bing's Maps now have things like restaurants, KMarts, Walmarts, auto stores, and gas stations on their maps. I prefer Bing maps and their Birds Eye view to look for things before I go out, for it is better than the typical satellite view available on both sights. I sometimes use Google's street level views to augment the birds eye view. If you use Mapquest for directions, just keep in mind that they can sometimes be misleading or take you way out of your way."

Cheers,
USS ALASKA

http://www.abandonedrails.com/

Another 'lose yourself for hours...' website.

Cheers,
USS ALASKA
I see they have listed an abandoned line that I have seen the remains of and explored but knew nothing about.it found some rail beds and a couple of very small trestle bridges along the way on the stretch between Hampton and Tnerasa.the state has been using the old rail bed to make a hiking or exercise path (route) from Palatka to Lake City,a distance of about 80 miles.when you travel through some of the swamps (wetlands)you wonder how this ever got there in the first place.

https://www.american-rails.com/

"This website's purpose is take you, the casual visitor, on a journey back in time to experience what our great nation's railroads once were, where they operated, the high quality passenger trains they once possessed, and the classic equipment they utilized. The American railroads were once the crown jewel of the world with passenger trains capable of speeds in excess of 100 mph via four-track main lines, terminating at fabulous stations while long, heavy freights moved everything from merchandise to coal in powering the country's mighty industrial complex. There were many reasons for the industry's decline but it largely all began with the passage of several Congressional acts at the turn of the 20th century. These new pieces of legislation (specifically the Elkins Act of 1903, Hepburn Act of 1906, and Mann-Elkins Act of 1910) brought increased regulation and significantly expanded the Interstate Commerce Commission's (ICC) power. This regulatory body lasted for over a century and its new role placed a considerable burden on railroads. However, the industry, itself, could be partially blamed for the stricter government oversight due to its longstanding careless and arrogant attitude towards the general public."

Cheers,
USS ALASKA

They can also show you track configurations and train operations that can't be seen without trespassing on private land. Their airplane views are typically shot on business days, so they represent a snapshot of a railroad's operations on a random day, showing yard operations and locals at work, busy sidings in use, stored surplus cars and diesels, etc. Studying track alignments at junctions can often reveal significant clues as to what the configuration was before modernization, and abandoned routes still reveal themselves sometimes through grades, shadows of grades, clearings in the trees, road alignments, and country road names like Old Railroad Grade Road.

The Standard Railroad of the World

MISSION STATEMENT

"The Society's mission is to further scholarly learning and interest in the Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR) and its predecessor companies by stimulating and encouraging the collecting, researching, recording and preserving of all technical, historical and practical information concerning the PRR and to make this information available to interested persons. And to further the accurate modeling of the PRR so that future generations may better appreciate and understand the company. "

http://www.prrths.com/index.html

Cheers,
USS ALASKA

http://railroads.unl.edu/

Railroads and the Making of Modern America collects and makes available a wide array of materials documenting the social effects of the railroad and the transformation of the United States to modern ideas, institutions, and practices in the nineteenth century. The project utilizes the digital medium to investigate, represent, and analyze this social change and document episodes of the railroad's social consequences. Here you will find interpretive visualizations exploring and representing the ways railroads changed understandings of space and time, the development of slavery around railroad growth in the South, the migration and settlement of railroad lands, and the political opposition to railroads around rates. Railroads is meant to act as a research and teaching platform to test hypotheses, to create visualizations of complex processes, and to inspire scholarship.

Cheers,
USS ALASKA

I have spent HOURS on this site - much to the detriment of other pressing matters...

"Note: Most railfans I know are interested in more than just trains. So, I have made an effort to put other things of possible interest to the railfan when visiting the areas the guides cover. These include things like Fire and Police Stations, Museums other than train or transit, bridges, Signals, or just plain old interesting stuff. I am always looking for help, pictures, additional information or corrections, so please do not hesitate to shoot me an email. If you wonder how I make my make my maps, click here. My contact info is here

Both
Google Maps and Bing's Maps now have things like restaurants, KMarts, Walmarts, auto stores, and gas stations on their maps. I prefer Bing maps and their Birds Eye view to look for things before I go out, for it is better than the typical satellite view available on both sights. I sometimes use Google's street level views to augment the birds eye view. If you use Mapquest for directions, just keep in mind that they can sometimes be misleading or take you way out of your way."

Cheers,
USS ALASKA
Wow, what a great site, so much information, I can see that I will be spending some time on there. Thanks for posting.

Both

Cheers,
USS ALASKA
Just a quick question about the signaling used on the Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis & Omaha Rwy. Their telegraph block signaling system is identical to British block signaling, it was instantly familiar to me, same design, same colours. Was that particular railway designed or built by the British?

http://railga.com/

Georgia's rail history began in the 1830s as America was just beginning to build a network of tracks. By the end of 1850 Georgia had the most rail miles of any southern state. More than a century and a half later, it continues to be a railroad leader.

This website traces the growth of the state's rail system from its earliest days to the present. It also looks at the fascinating heritage that Georgia's railroad builders have left us and attempts to serve as a comprehensive guide to that heritage.

Cheers,
USS ALASKA

http://usmrr.blogspot.com/

A journal following the history, design, construction and operation of Bernard Kempinski's 1/48th - (O) Scale model railroad depicting the U. S. Military Railroad (USMRR) Aquia-Fredericksburg line in 1863, and other model railroad projects.

Cheers,
USS ALASKA

http://www.railpictures.net/

RailPictures.Net was born in December of 2002, and in the time since has grown to be the most visited railroad interest website on the internet, with over 50,000 visitors and 300,000 pages served daily.

Our
Railroad Photo Database, among the largest in existence, contains 622,830 photos which have been contributed by 7,564 photographers worldwide. Approximately 307 countries are represented in the database, and the large versions of our photos have been viewed 1,415,002,061 times.

We offer the only quality-controlled rail photo database online. Each photo submission is carefully reviewed by a photo screener to ensure that the image meets the quality requirements for which RailPictures.Net has become known. Our standards are strict; only about 30% of the images contributed to us are accepted for publication in the database. This helps to ensure a quality viewing experience for each of our daily visitors.

Other features that you'll find only at RailPictures.Net include our bi-monthly
Photo Articles, where some of the biggest names in railroad photography tell the "stories behind the photographs," our unique E-mail Photo Notification service, where your favorite images are sent directly to your e-mail inbox as they're added to the database, and our lively Discussion Forums, where topics of conversation covering railroad photography, operations, and other interests are ongoing.

The features outlined above are of no use, however, unless people can enjoy them, so that's why our number one priority at RailPictures.Net is you, the visitor. We will endeavor to answer any questions, concerns, suggestions, or compliments you may have for us as quickly as we can. Simply
contact us and we'll get back to you before you know it.

So take a look around. Get acclimated. Let us know if you have any questions. And most of all, enjoy the wonderful world of railroading that's available right at your fingertips, here at RailPictures.Net!

Welcome to our website! We genuinely hope you enjoy your visit!

Cheers,
USS ALASKA

http://www.railpictures.net/

RailPictures.Net was born in December of 2002, and in the time since has grown to be the most visited railroad interest website on the internet, with over 50,000 visitors and 300,000 pages served daily.

Our
Railroad Photo Database, among the largest in existence, contains 622,830 photos which have been contributed by 7,564 photographers worldwide. Approximately 307 countries are represented in the database, and the large versions of our photos have been viewed 1,415,002,061 times.

We offer the only quality-controlled rail photo database online. Each photo submission is carefully reviewed by a photo screener to ensure that the image meets the quality requirements for which RailPictures.Net has become known. Our standards are strict; only about 30% of the images contributed to us are accepted for publication in the database. This helps to ensure a quality viewing experience for each of our daily visitors.

Other features that you'll find only at RailPictures.Net include our bi-monthly
Photo Articles, where some of the biggest names in railroad photography tell the "stories behind the photographs," our unique E-mail Photo Notification service, where your favorite images are sent directly to your e-mail inbox as they're added to the database, and our lively Discussion Forums, where topics of conversation covering railroad photography, operations, and other interests are ongoing.

The features outlined above are of no use, however, unless people can enjoy them, so that's why our number one priority at RailPictures.Net is you, the visitor. We will endeavor to answer any questions, concerns, suggestions, or compliments you may have for us as quickly as we can. Simply
contact us and we'll get back to you before you know it.

So take a look around. Get acclimated. Let us know if you have any questions. And most of all, enjoy the wonderful world of railroading that's available right at your fingertips, here at RailPictures.Net!

Welcome to our website! We genuinely hope you enjoy your visit!

Cheers,
USS ALASKA
Looks like a site to kill some time on.

Back