Racial tension between white soldiers and USCT

gary

Captain
I'm reading Echoes from the Boys of Company 'H'. It is a collection of letters from the 100th New York.

Anyway, some men get drunk and out of control. The USCT are serving as the provost and they arrest one man. His comrades rush to liberate him and more provosts appear as reinforcement. The men grab bricks and sticks with which they pelt the provost. It would not do to have a black man place his hands on a white. As another regiment join the rowdies, the USCZT provosts fire into them, injuring one man (who lost his leg). Engraged, the whites retreat to retrieve their arms. Their officers draw their swords and hold the men back.

To solve it, the provost is told by the officers to order the USCT back to their quarters and use only white soldiers as provosts. He does.

Anybody know of any other incidents like this among Union soldiers? I'm aware of USCT as guards for prisoners and that the Confederates resented them but had no say in the matter.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

19thGeorgia

2nd Lieutenant
I'm reading Echoes from the Boys of Company 'H'. It is a collection of letters from the 100th New York.

Anyway, some men get drunk and out of control. The USCT are serving as the provost and they arrest one man. His comrades rush to liberate him and more provosts appear as reinforcement. The men grab bricks and sticks with which they pelt the provost. It would not do to have a black man place his hands on a white. As another regiment join the rowdies, the USCZT provosts fire into them, injuring one man (who lost his leg). Engraged, the whites retreat to retrieve their arms. Their officers draw their swords and hold the men back.

To solve it, the provost is told by the officers to order the USCT back to their quarters and use only white soldiers as provosts. He does.

Anybody know of any other incidents like this among Union soldiers? I'm aware of USCT as guards for prisoners and that the Confederates resented them but had no say in the matter.
Where did this happen? Memphis? I've read of a confrontation between white and black troops at Memphis and a mutiny of sorts at Fort Jackson, La.

leftyhunter

Colonel

In the book " War behind ever door Partisan Politics and warfare 1861-1865 Noel Fisher University of North Carolina Press there was some similar hostile contact between the 13th Tennessee Cavalry Union and USCT troops. I am not home now so I can't look it up right now.
In the book " A Southern Boy in Blue the Memoirs of Marcus Woodcock 6th Kentucky Volunteers " Woodcock decries the fact that his comrades would throw rocks at black Civilians if they came close to them.
On the other hand the 2nd Florida Cavalry Union who's men were mostly composed of Confederate Army defectors was assigned to fight alongside a USCT regiment and they got along OK.
Let's keep in mind that racial tensions between US black and white soldiers did not end after the ACW.
Leftyhunter

gary

Captain
Where did this happen? Memphis? I've read of a confrontation between white and black troops at Memphis and a mutiny of sorts at Fort Jackson, La.
Gloucester Point (right across the York River from Yorktown), Virginia. April 19, 1864. Got it from Echoes from the Boys of Company H by Neal Wixson, pages 322-4. It's about the 100th NY Volunteer Infantry.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!