Period Rabbit the other white meat.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

major bill

Colonel
Forum Host
Were domesticated rabbits raised for food before the Civil War? I am having problems verifying that they were or were not raised as a food item. Were they raised for their 'wool' in America in the Civil War era?

I know wild American hare species were hunted and it would seem to make sense for people to raise domesticated rabbits (European type rabbits). We must have some bunny folk here.

major bill

Colonel
Forum Host
Some German immigrants would have known how to make hasenpfeffer which I understand to be jugged hare. But to the best of me I do not understand how they get the hare to get in to the jug and thus become jugged hare. Perhaps it is best I do not understand such things.

major bill

Colonel
Forum Host
From Laverne and Shirley 'Schlemiel! Sclimazel! Hasenpfeffer Incorporated!"
I don't know if you've ever hunted rabbits in the wild, but they are actually one of the most challenging small game one can "hunt".

They are very smart, fast and crafty animals.

Think Bugs .

View attachment 180974

:smoke:
Well I grew up in the city and we mostly had squirrels or rats but my dad grew up on a farm. According to him the best way to hunt rabbits is you and your friends take several jugs of hard cider to the woods. When I asked if the hard cider didn't keep you from shooting straight my dad said "Of course it does, but I never much cared for the taste of rabbit."

mofederal

Captain
I used to hunt rabbits. I always enjoyed them. My mom knew how to cook them. I saw it as more of a sport than other game. I think rabbits were probably raised as food by the time of the Civil War. We used to raise rabbits. New Zealand Whites.

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
To answer your question, actually no.

"Although the European rabbit arrived in America with European settlers, and established a large wild population, rabbits were mostly hunted in the wild until the late 19th century. Domestic rabbitery did not become popular in the United States until around the turn of the century, when many European breeds began to be imported and breeders also developed some American breeds."

http://www.bunnyhugga.com/a-to-z/general/history-rabbits.html

Last edited:

major bill

Colonel
Forum Host
Last edited by a moderator: