Rabbi Maximilian Michelbacher's "Confederate Soldier's Prayer"

rebbe.tice

Cadet
rabbi-m-j-michelbacher-confederate-prayer.jpg

Rabbi Maximilian J. Michelbacher, Richmond, composed and circulated this vitriolic prayer among Jewish Confederate soldiers. I understand that the Union side had Jewish prayer tracts floating around as well... but have been unable to locate any. Does anyone have any leads on that? Thanks.

Last edited:
Expired Image Removed
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=pv&GRid=11314308&PIpi=127545257

Rabbi Maximilian J. Michelbacher, Richmond, composed and circulated this vitriolic prayer among Jewish Confederate soldiers. I understand that the Union side had Jewish prayer tracts floating around as well... but have been unable to locate any. Does anyone have any leads on that? Thanks.
Here is a link to the rabbi ' s sermon which is much easier to read.
www.jewish-history.com/illoway/sermon.html

It should be noted that this sermon is from Jan.1861 in Baltimore and it became extremely popular throughout the Confederacy.

I haven't seen many full Jewish prayer tractates from the Union side, but from what quotes I have seen from such things, they were far less imprecatory. A prayer tract composed by Rabbi Sabato Morais (1823-1897) of Mikveh Israel in Philadelphia, for example:

sabato-morais-prayer-tract.jpg

Author of all good!

We implore thy almighty protection on behalf of the American republic of the north. Let thine eyes, which never slumber; be open upon her, that she may not be erased from among the family of nations. Be with her in this struggle for life, that she may survive it. and wax greater and happier. Speak to the hearts of her disaffected children, and let them again throb with undying affection. Let both the weapon of aggression and that of defense be buried into the bottomless ocean, and cast Thou with it the spirit of acrimony that has sharpened its edge.

Bless the President. Direct the hands into which the temporal welfare of this people is entrusted. Sustain them that their strength may never lag:. Bless the President of the United States: bless him for his sterling honesty. Bless him for his firmness and moderation. Rekindle with joy his domestic hearth; pour on him the balm of divine consolation. Grant that the issues of his momentous obligations be a united and prosperous country. Grant that the end of his career be the maintenance of this government, unimpaired and unsullied as bequeathed by our illustrious ancestors.

So may it be. Amen.​

Last edited:
Back