Quilts for Veterans

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

AshleyMel

Sergeant Major
Awe, y'all are all so sweet!
Ellie! :hug: Glad you are back from your trip!

Tomorrow is the day we get to give it to our Veteran!

AshleyMel

Sergeant Major
Working blocks with another sewing group. Made 40 of them for two Quilts to be put together for presentation at the county fair in September. I sewed for eight hours yesterday!

AshleyMel

Sergeant Major
Blocks for two quilts to be made for presentation to Vets at the county fair in September. The ladies and I sewed 40 blocks yesterday! This was a full 8 hour work day of sewing (well, we did break for lunch)!
53165259_10214090575486514_7642087631064399872_o.jpg

Northern Light

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Believe it or not, all the fabrics came from one ladie's personal stash! We didn't have to buy any at all! Enough for 40, 12 inch blocks and still more left over! These ladies are hard core!
I used to be like that, with bins and bins of fabric that were just taking up space. I gave them to a friend who was just starting out. She was glad to have them and it lifted a burden of guilt from my shoulders. Win-win! I still like to look at (and touch) fabric, but don't buy unless I know what I am making with it. Sigh....

AshleyMel

Sergeant Major
I used to be like that, with bins and bins of fabric that were just taking up space. I gave them to a friend who was just starting out. She was glad to have them and it lifted a burden of guilt from my shoulders. Win-win! I still like to look at (and touch) fabric, but don't buy unless I know what I am making with it. Sigh....
I love your self discipline! :wub:

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
You fabric lovers are wonderful! Mom was one so I'm recognizing the devotion. She had tubs and tubs and trunks and cardboard boxes- hers finally went to the church women who met weekly to sew quilts for families who could use the warmth.

Funniest morning of my life ( still makes me laugh ), Mom was away dealing with family stuff, Dad home alone. I drove to their house just to say hi, maybe see how he was doing. Got there around 8 a.m. to find Dad as excited as I'd ever seen him, the old SAAB hatchback open. Fabric everywhere, boxes on all the seats, an entire bolt sticking out a window, one on the ground, so much the hatchback wouldn't close. I said " ????? ". He was on his way to give Mom's hoard to Goodwill on the grounds she wouldn't miss it and would never use all of it anyway and he wasn't allowed to touch it if she was there. She wasn't so... . Spent a good hour bargaining him down to a few boxes, for the sake of his marriage.

View attachment 144124 Not Civil War related but just thought I'd share. Moderators please remove if not allowed.
I belong to two quilting clubs that make and donate quilts to elderly or disabled veterans. The clubs ask for us to work on the blocks and then turn them in to be put together and presented when completed. This is my first year volunteering to help. Half square triangles are featured in the design! Still have to finish the block design but I think I'm off to a good start! View attachment 144123
Wonderful idea to remember those veterans. I wish I could sew. Keep up the good work. God Bless.

AshleyMel

Sergeant Major
You fabric lovers are wonderful! Mom was one so I'm recognizing the devotion. She had tubs and tubs and trunks and cardboard boxes- hers finally went to the church women who met weekly to sew quilts for families who could use the warmth.

Funniest morning of my life ( still makes me laugh ), Mom was away dealing with family stuff, Dad home alone. I drove to their house just to say hi, maybe see how he was doing. Got there around 8 a.m. to find Dad as excited as I'd ever seen him, the old SAAB hatchback open. Fabric everywhere, boxes on all the seats, an entire bolt sticking out a window, one on the ground, so much the hatchback wouldn't close. I said " ????? ". He was on his way to give Mom's hoard to Goodwill on the grounds she wouldn't miss it and would never use all of it anyway and he wasn't allowed to touch it if she was there. She wasn't so... . Spent a good hour bargaining him down to a few boxes, for the sake of his marriage.
What a wonderful story! Thanks for sharing Annie! The bolt sticking through the car window is priceless! Thank goodness you stopped by that day!
:rofl: