Quilts for Veterans

AshleyMel

Sergeant Major
Sorry to keep this going- nothing worse than the conversation that won't go away! The thing is, it was our church ladies who taught us sewing/quilting, how funny. Little older-back in the ( ouch ) 60's and early 70's. They had the knock-down, drag-out bees, without calling them that. Had no idea at the time we were being taught by such tradition- maybe why this project seems so delightful ?

I don't know. We ' ladies ' ( meaning us chicks ) tend to lose common threads ( 'scuse the pun ), tying all of us together. Seems pretty cool, a gigantic bee, getting shared, especially towards our vets. Can't sew on a machine, as in at all- blessed thing chases your fingers like an avaricious dragon but I can quilt. Plan on looking into this. We have an astonishing amount of browsers here, guessing your thread just did the same for people we'll never hear from.
It is delightful, isn't it?! I'm trying very hard to encourage the younger (!) girls I interact with to get involved. I so want to pass this skill on! My daughter (she's 26!) knows how but just finds herself too busy and only seems interested in doing little projects in spurts of creativity. I will continue to enjoy my "new" favorite thing. Thank you all for your encouraging posts!

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

AshleyMel

Sergeant Major
I really didn't want to start a whole new thread, so I just stuck this in here for any who might want a gander.
I was given two large bags of fleece scraps last week. What a mess! Have no idea what I will do with it all. Going through the stash tonight and our Baby Kitty decided to claim it as her own. She's such a brat!
19442138_10209697204854994_792513522200206173_o.jpg

AshleyMel

Sergeant Major
Ha! I knew I had a thread on the Veteran's quilts around here somewhere! LOL!
Wow, it's a year and a half old! I've worked on a few quilts since I first posted those beginning blocks so nervously pieced together by a brand new quilter!
I am happy to present a new addition. We will be giving the quilt to a 20+ year Veteran of both the U.S. Navy and Army reserves this Sunday! This one is very close to home as the receiver is a member of our church and it was I and two other ladies who worked on the quilt. Lots of love in this one!

IMG_20190225_091341.jpg
IMG_20190225_091359.jpg

captaindrew

Captain
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Ha! I knew I had a thread on the Veteran's quilts around here somewhere! LOL!
Wow, it's a year and a half old! I've worked on a few quilts since I first posted those beginning blocks so nervously pieced together by a brand new quilter!
I am happy to present a new addition. We will be giving the quilt to a 20+ year Veteran of both the U.S. Navy and Army reserves this Sunday! This one is very close to home as the receiver is a member of our church and it was I and two other ladies who worked on the quilt. Lots of love in this one!

View attachment 294516 View attachment 294517
Love it, great job!

AshleyMel

Sergeant Major
That's amazing. It really is! One of the reasons quilts are so astonishing is the sheer work put into them, beyond those designs. This is lovely, thanks for posting!! ( and waiting for the next one.... )
Thank you! I am cutting the fabric squares out for the next as I finish the binding on this one for Sunday. We have six more on our list!

christian soldier

2nd Lieutenant
Member of the Month
AshleyMel. You certainly have some beautiful looking quilts which our veterans would absolutely love and enjoy. I think it is wonderful that people like you take the time to honor those individuals of every military branch who have risked their lives to preserve our freedom and our way of life on the greatest country on earth. My family has always taken time to support our military anyway humanly possible. My family on both my parents side can trace their military participation back to the French and Indian War all the way to modern day Iraq. You have a lot to be proud of with your participation in this excellent project. Thank You. David.

AshleyMel

Sergeant Major
AshleyMel. You certainly have some beautiful looking quilts which our veterans would absolutely love and enjoy. I think it is wonderful that people like you take the time to honor those individuals of every military branch who have risked their lives to preserve our freedom and our way of life on the greatest country on earth. My family has always taken time to support our military anyway humanly possible. My family on both my parents side can trace their military participation back to the French and Indian War all the way to modern day Iraq. You have a lot to be proud of with your participation in this excellent project. Thank You. David.
What kind words from such a kind gentleman! Thank you David!

AshleyMel

Sergeant Major
@AshleyMel , is that the quilt you told us about? It's absolutely lovely! :smile: You have every right to be proud of that one. Stitching the pattern must have taken a lot of time and patience. I take my hat off to you.
Yes!
I was hoping to link it to everyone tonight once I got settled in! Thank you so much Honey!
Just got in from sewing as a matter of fact. I'm exhausted. The quilt is completely finished and ready for presentation! I also finished the cut out of the squares for the next one so we should start piecing next week!