Quilts for Veterans

AshleyMel

Sergeant Major
19095548_10209612625540564_3789303719986786234_o.jpg
Not Civil War related but just thought I'd share. Moderators please remove if not allowed.
I belong to two quilting clubs that make and donate quilts to elderly or disabled veterans. The clubs ask for us to work on the blocks and then turn them in to be put together and presented when completed. This is my first year volunteering to help. Half square triangles are featured in the design! Still have to finish the block design but I think I'm off to a good start!
19143310_10209612625580565_1465596967312342831_o.jpg

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
Wonderful! Beautiful work. :smile:

We've been on the receiving end of similar kindness, and I can tell you that your efforts are greatly appreciated. Every time I handle our blanket (a crocheted one received 18 years ago), I think about the unknown person who decided to stitch up this bit of comfort for people he/she would likely never meet. I remember wrapping my sick baby girl in it and being overwhelmed by the gesture of love. I doubled checked with the nurse because I was confused, and when she smiled and said, "Yes, it's yours. You keep it." I started tearing up.

(That blanket has been loved by all four humans in our house, and two puppies.)

If I ever break into my quilting cotton stash and start piecing blocks again, I will remember this organization.

AshleyMel

Sergeant Major
Wonderful! Beautiful work. :smile:

We've been on the receiving end of similar kindness, and I can tell you that your efforts are greatly appreciated. Every time I handle our blanket (a crocheted one received 18 years ago), I think about the unknown person who decided to stitch up this bit of comfort for people he/she would likely never meet. I remember wrapping my sick baby girl in it and being overwhelmed by the gesture of love. I doubled checked with the nurse because I was confused, and when she smiled and said, "Yes, it's yours. You keep it." I started tearing up.

(That blanket has been loved by all four humans in our house, and two puppies.)

If I ever break into my quilting cotton stash and start piecing blocks again, I will remember this organization
What a wonderful and touching story LoriAnn! It adds even more weight to my efforts! I'm working on the squares tonight as Hubby has started taking college classes again and I have a little more on my hands (not including my list of UFOs). Being only 3 and a half inches, they are tedious but knowing they will go to a good cause makes them something I do not mind as much.
My UDC Chapter also sponsors a veteran and we donate food and pantry items and the ladies get together weekly and knit hats and scarves for the homeless veterans locally (I crochet when I can, instead). I am blessed to be able to give a little back.
I'll try to post the finished piece. I take picture with my tablet thingie and they are just terrible! Need to invest in a decent camera.

AshleyMel

Sergeant Major
I'm finished! I can't believe how quickly this came together! I have one more to do for the project and I plan on getting to it after lunch. I think it is absolutely beautiful! I'm so excited to be able to turn it in to the club tomorrow!
19400364_10209668008165095_8503585234961677730_o.jpg

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Thank you LoriAnn!!!

Your camera is just fine! I see no difference in your square and the gazillion we have around here, where women have been stitching quilts since needles were invented ( just made that up, sorry ). May as well have been.

What an amazing cause- I'm not sure @donna has seen this- she belongs to a UDC chapter which seems to do endless, cheerful projects like this. Quilting seems to be a common language women have used across time, for positive goals. It's lovely to see yours added to the long line- thanks so much for sharing.

AshleyMel

Sergeant Major
Your camera is just fine! I see no difference in your square and the gazillion we have around here, where women have been stitching quilts since needles were invented ( just made that up, sorry ). May as well have been.

What an amazing cause- I'm not sure @donna has seen this- she belongs to a UDC chapter which seems to do endless, cheerful projects like this. Quilting seems to be a common language women have used across time, for positive goals. It's lovely to see yours added to the long line- thanks so much for sharing.
Being so new to quilting I never thought I would be able to complete anything that would hold together. My Nanny taught me how to sew - a little. It has been the ladies in my church that have encouraged me to challenge myself with this new skill at this stage in my life and being able to do so charitably is very rewarding. Thank you for you kind words!

Being so new to quilting I never thought I would be able to complete anything that would hold together. My Nanny taught me how to sew - a little. It has been the ladies in my church that have encouraged me to challenge myself with this new skill at this stage in my life and being able to do so charitably is very rewarding. Thank you for you kind words!
And now, you are hooked. :smug: You are going to go on and make so many more beautiful things. I look forward to more photos! And projects! And skills!

Did I share Fabric.com with you? Perhaps you're already aware. Perhaps we've had this conversation before. But just in case, and because I'm a good pusher...er...friend, I'll just mention it again. :angel: Sometimes, when it's late at night, and I can't sleep but can't trust myself to work on anything either, I just window shop. And dream.

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Sorry to keep this going- nothing worse than the conversation that won't go away! The thing is, it was our church ladies who taught us sewing/quilting, how funny. Little older-back in the ( ouch ) 60's and early 70's. They had the knock-down, drag-out bees, without calling them that. Had no idea at the time we were being taught by such tradition- maybe why this project seems so delightful ?

I don't know. We ' ladies ' ( meaning us chicks ) tend to lose common threads ( 'scuse the pun ), tying all of us together. Seems pretty cool, a gigantic bee, getting shared, especially towards our vets. Can't sew on a machine, as in at all- blessed thing chases your fingers like an avaricious dragon but I can quilt. Plan on looking into this. We have an astonishing amount of browsers here, guessing your thread just did the same for people we'll never hear from.