Breechldrs Questions on the 56-56 brass cartridge load

Booner

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
Thanks Booner for your reply correction. Yes indeed I have done a little more testing and have now a total of 35 test fires with 0 problems.
The Dixie made brass makes it all possible to shoot rim fire once again.
I must stress again. Do not do this unless you have a gunsmith check your gun out first.
I have more to post but not at this very moment. Just different results is all. Interest and input is always nice too hear and I'm sure you will understand if I don't see interest, I will only be posting for self gratification. I'm not in this for that purpose. Learn learn learn is what I see this site as. That means my shoulders are big and I like negative also.
Thanks again Booner for interest and support. All are welcome to join in. The Good Bad and Ugly.

I always like to see pictures of the groups a gun is capable of, especially one with modified cartridges like you've done.

lawer dagget

Private
I always like to see pictures of the groups a gun is capable of, especially one with modified cartridges like you've done.
I will try to give it my best shot! (pun intended)
First pic is my primer tests. 22 blanks compared to the troublesome labor induced 22 CB short rounds cut down for primers. All were at 35 yards and POA was at 6 o'clock below the 10" paper plate. These were also done with the short blade on the front sight.
The 22 short CB primers won out overall. This test also had a 35 grain load of ff German BP by volume with one card of .025
Compression for powder before card pretty much maxed out at 1/16" without over doing it. OAL on bullet seating is good on both ends.

Next pics will be of the taller sight change. My bad I know. But that is yet another page of do and don't do. It will need shaping and rounded, but it needed testing first. It did bring it into play at 50 yards which is next.

Last pic will be a 12" target with POA at center. This pic is with 50 yards. The taller blade did it's thing.
This test was done with 37 grains by volume and no card with the same powder. The spread on target is a wider group. I'm happy to say that my next tests will be 34 - 33 grains with two cards. The larger load seems to be on the negative side for grouping.
I started with 35 grains. 37 got wider. Less is better in my book for a direction.

testing for different primers 011.JPG

front sight 001.JPG

front sight 010.JPG

002.JPG

Racing

Private
Seeing the crown of that thing that muzzle is screaming for a fresh one.
Takes less time than you think on a lathe.

In turn that less powder will per definition make for a more accurate load is false. Most guns have more then one sweetspot,make no mistake.

lawer dagget

Private
Seeing the crown of that thing that muzzle is screaming for a fresh one.
Takes less time than you think on a lathe.

Thanks Racing. You do make a good point with the crown. Been so focused on other things and had not gave it much thought, but you are right. I think that could be a big help. I can feel the hair on my neck raise up from some thinking no way, no how, and never do that to a old gun of history.

In turn that less powder will per definition make for a more accurate load is false. Most guns have more then one sweetspot,make no mistake.

Thanks again on input. But I don't have anymore room to go up on charge. The 56-56 case is shorter than a 56-50 by .270
37 grains is max for the size case and the bullet with no real room to play with seating depth. 35 grains and 1 card had a better group than the 37 grains with no card. So I thought I'd go down a little. But I think before that, I will have the crown worked over, or at least give that a closer look. Have a good friend that trued up the crown on a old Winchester lever action. He was very pleased with the end results per grouping. Thanks again.

lawer dagget

Private
Update on the new crown.
I have yet to range test. Out of bullets and waiting. All are loaded with 37 grains and I want to also reload some with the 35 grains that I started with originally for the testing.
Private Racing mentioned the re-crown. I had to agree and did so.
I'm sure the results will be very positive when tested.
My forum friend from another site did a computer thing. Not sure the how, but the result speaks for itself. I hope to make it the first pic.
I do understand that some on this site will disagree with what I'm doing. There was one welcome post made in suggest that this is the reenactment forum. (not to me) but recent. If I by chance need to move this to a different forum, please suggest.
I do seem to have a few that find interest in my findings and project, but I'm new to the forum and do want to feel included and invited without stepping on toes or even being in the wrong site.
There has to be some shooters out there that have original CW era firearms.
I'm still at a complete loss finding records for the Sharps & Hankins Navy model. All say 52 cal. Yet mine is for sure a 54 cal. I did find a museum article that indeed said that different caliber and barrels were used, but no other info. If records are gone, then they are gone. But please help me in the search somewhat. I just need another direction per search than what I have been doing.
Happy Holiday's too all.

Muzzle Crown Comparison.JPG

before recrown 001.JPG

before recrown 003.JPG

recrown 002.JPG

recrown 004.JPG

final stage 003.JPG

lawer dagget

Private
Hi to all. It's been a while since I finally tested the re-crown. Cold weather was #1.
Went to the range today at 48 degrees with sunshine and a little breeze for chill factor.
I had tested prior in colder weather but results needed adjustment.
This was the outcome of corrections per load and re-crown.
35 grain FF by volume. 1 foul shot and 5 to follow. I was happy. 158 year old rifle at 45 yards. 4" spread vertical and 2" horizontal.
I suck at trigger pull so I would guess better results from a pro.
It's all good and old proud guns can indeed get back in the game if safe to shoot.
I used to do my foul shot into the berm. My good friend said record all. Glad I did as he suggested.
56-56 S&H   01-29-2020 006.JPG

toot

Corporal
I know that this thread is an old one. I just came across it and find it a rely interesting thread. I have a JOSLYN CARBINE that is also a rimfire weapon. I have purchased rim fire adapters from a vendor in TEXAS, that take blanks and am going to give the old war horse a go, all because of this thread I found. hope I have stayed in the message bounds that I posted? if not please delete it.

1860man

Private
Thanks Booner and Kirk for your input. I gave it the test firing today and all went awesome in my book. I had the 4 rounds and chose the 40gr ff load for the strength test and fouling shot. The other 3 had 35gr ff. Coward but smart, first shot was with a heavy towel over the breach area. No aim, just clear and fire. It hit the berm at the 100 yard mark and erupted in AZ sand. Next 3 were at 30 yards with a 10" paper plate as target. Got the edge of the plate 1" in with the 3rd shot. Shoots high which I expected.
All in all. The day went well. The Sharps & Hankins is once again re-born.
The primers showed no blow-back, the case took no damage from the firing pin. All fired and struck the 22 primer spot on. Nice work Dixie on your case making. Fouling was more than I wanted to see but expected with the rim-fire and primer case although trimmed, it still does stick out a tad into the case. You have no center fire or fire hole with this set-up. Ignition is far from perfect, but does indeed work. I think I might try the fff powder next. I understand it burns a little hotter and might give me a cleaner burn rate? I'm going to keep it simple and small at the 35gr per volume. Recoil is sweet and a pleasure to shoot. I was wishing I had loaded up more.

View attachment 330817

View attachment 330818

View attachment 330819
I have shot 56-56 Spencer for about 35 years. Get a center fire breechblock, cut down 50-70 brass, or 56-50 star line brass will work. You will spend some money but in the long run you will have a ton of fun