Questions on an ancestor's picture

rickvox79

First Sergeant
I posted this on the ancestry thread but thought I'd try the photography thread and see if anyone could help. My grandmother gave me a lot of family documents that were given to her by her sister with pictures and documents on the Scudder, Van Trees and O'Neall family. My 3rd generation grandfather John Scudder was a surgeon for the Indiana 65th regiment and so I'm wondering if this picture could be him. She had a picture of John Scudder's wife (originally Helen Van Trees) and her sister Lida Van Trees. She also had a picture of a man in Union uniform but there is no name and she was not 100% sure who it was.

My guess is that it could be John Scudder, but I wanted to see if some of you could look at the uniform and see if it is something a surgeon in the Union army would wear. Helen Scudder had two brothers from the Van Trees family that fought for the Union according to my research, so it could be one of them. Just not sure....any help would be appreciated! Either way it is exciting to finally see a picture of some of the family members I've been researching.

Rick2.jpg

It appears to be a Union officer's uniform frock coat. A surgeon was an officer. Were the two others listed as officers?

Yeah it looks like one was a Captain, Charles R Van Trees, and the other started the war in the same company as a Sgt and by the time it ended he was a 1st Lt. So I guess it could be either one. It does show two Charles R Van Trees in the 6th Indiana in separate company's but I would assume the one in E would be him since his brother was also in E and the other is listed in C. Hmmmm...so I guess that doesn't really narrow it down. Either way that picture is one of my relatives, just wish I knew for certain which one.

Rickvox79,

The Walter Reed Army Hospital historian, might have a photo of the surgeon who was a relative.

Try the State historian/archivist for Capt. VanTrees?

Sure would like Wilber to take a look, blow it up and see the rank better or any other details.

Just some thoughts.

M. E. Wolf

Rickvox79,

The Walter Reed Army Hospital historian, might have a photo of the surgeon who was a relative.

Try the State historian/archivist for Capt. VanTrees?

Sure would like Wilber to take a look, blow it up and see the rank better or any other details.

Just some thoughts.

M. E. Wolf

I can probably get a better scan of that photo to blow up. I scanned that one a few weeks ago but it didn't come out as well as I hoped so I may try again. It came from a piece of paper that was printed out, so it won't be the greatest quality either way. Is there an email address for the Walter Reed Army Hospital historian or a good way to contact them?

Dr. John Pierce is who you need to speak to.

Back