Question regarding Ayres' Regulars at the Wilderness

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Luke Freet

Corporal
I have been reading Gordon Rhea's book on the Wilderness, and when he talks of the actions of Ayres' brigade at Saunder's Field on the 5th May, he refers to the Regular units being a singular formation, like a singular regiment/battalion. Was this the case? The order of battle doesn't make note of a provisional battalion being formed of the Regular units involved.

Sorah_45thVA

Private
I have been reading Gordon Rhea's book on the Wilderness, and when he talks of the actions of Ayres' brigade at Saunder's Field on the 5th May, he refers to the Regular units being a singular formation, like a singular regiment/battalion. Was this the case? The order of battle doesn't make note of a provisional battalion being formed of the Regular units involved.
I recently read this book and his book on Spotsylvania, I also wondered this question when I read the book. Sorry I cant enlighten you to this particular issue, I would be interested in hearing some of your opinions as you read this book. Lol

rpkennedy

Major
Member of the Month
The Regulars were not under a unified command but they did tend to fight with and alongside one another as a unit. At the Wilderness, all of the Regular units under Ayres would have numbered between 1300-1400 soldiers.

Ryan

Luke Freet

Corporal
The Regulars were not under a unified command but they did tend to fight with and alongside one another as a unit. At the Wilderness, all of the Regular units under Ayres would have numbered between 1300-1400 soldiers.

Ryan
Thank you. That 1400 does not include the Pennsylvania and New York Zouaves in the Brigade (according to Rhea, 140th and 146th New York numbered 529 and 556 men respectively).

Luke Freet

Corporal
Correct. That figure was only counting the regulars and not the New York and Pennsylvania regiments in the brigade.

Ryan
Do tell, where did you get those figures? I'm starting to do research on the campaign for a project, want to make sure I can make citations.

Lindahs1

Private
I’ve been following this thread because my ancestor was in the 146th NY. Could you tell me what you mean by the “April returns?” Thank you. Linda

rpkennedy

Major
Member of the Month
I’ve been following this thread because my ancestor was in the 146th NY. Could you tell me what you mean by the “April returns?” Thank you. Linda
The returns are monthly reports which show how many men were present for duty and their equipment. It was just a general idea so the generals know what they have to work with and for the quartermasters to be able to appropriately supply the troops. I believe that these returns can be found in the ORs but I haven't had a chance to go looking for them.

Ryan

Lindahs1

Private
The returns are monthly reports which show how many men were present for duty and their equipment. It was just a general idea so the generals know what they have to work with and for the quartermasters to be able to appropriately supply the troops. I believe that these returns can be found in the ORs but I haven't had a chance to go looking for them.

Ryan

Lindahs1

Private
Hi Ryan, Thanks for your explanation of April orders. I didn’t expect you to look them up. Your explanation leads me to two more questions, sorry about that! I hope you don’t mind answering when you have time.
What is OR?
Where could I look them up or might you have a link?
Thanks so much again. Linda

rpkennedy

Major
Member of the Month
Hi Ryan, Thanks for your explanation of April orders. I didn’t expect you to look them up. Your explanation leads me to two more questions, sorry about that! I hope you don’t mind answering when you have time.
What is OR?
Where could I look them up or might you have a link?
Thanks so much again. Linda
The term "ORs" refers to The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, or Official Records (ORs) for short. These volumes were published beginning in 1880 and contain much of the documented paperwork for the war. Of course, many Confederate records were lost, destroyed, or never compiled so some of their records are pretty thin. Many of the monthly returns for the Union armies are contained within the ORs.

I know that there are free searchable sites online that have the ORs but I don't have any available because I have my own searchable digital copy.

Ryan