Question ref Reproduction Kepi, cartridge box, etc

jcs266

Cadet
Hello all, I'd like opinions on repro CW equipment items available today... I'd like to have a Union Kepi, cartridge box and cap box to go with my 1861 Springfield. I guess I'm looking for a "ranking" of the best quality of these makers or sources that are currently available today. I seem some price variations and assume perhaps the higher priced ones may be of the better quality or materials, but that's not always the case, so I ask here.

If you prefer to answer in a PM that's fine, send me a message with your opinions on it.

I prefer to go with best quality within reason, rather than get something shoddy and then wish I'd just paid the little extra the first time and gotten what I want.

Thanks in advance

Just for display and will use them when shooting my Springfield. I'm not a reenactor. I think it would be nice to have these items to go along with my rifle.

I've been checking out Missouri Boot and Shoe website per the suggestions above.

Generally there are 2 standards of gear.

The mainstream gear that look somewhat like the real items and was typically made in India or Pakistan.
The actual work can be ok, but the makers clearly based their work on photos and the materials are not the best quality.
(My gear is this quality, and to be honest Iam not actually 100% sure it is even real lather and not some sort of fake... it sure don't react the same way my homemade leather gear do to leather grease)

The high quality items. Usually based on original items the maker have had access to.
And made with high quality materials in the US.

And the price is reflected in this.

Cap punch from blockaderunner.com - 17$
US cap punch from Missouri Boot & Shoe - 50$

I don't have personal experience with Missouri Boot & Shoe, but as the others have said they have a very good reputation, and are usually mentioned when ever someone ask this question in campaigner groups on Facebook.

If you buy from them you get the best. And if you maintain the leather properly I will expect you back here in 25 years still owing the item... If you have not worn it out by then.

---
If you want authentic "ammo" and don't want to spend the time casing bullets and making paper cartridges yourself I will suggest
https://gimcrackandbunkum.com/products/ols/products/58-minie-ball-cartridges

I ordered things from him earlier this year. Both display items (that he don't normally sell) and cartridges for blank firing.
It was quick and effective service. Despite it being his first European order and including items he don't normally sell.

I think the nail's been hit on the head a lot of times on where to go. But....

As for my advise, for leather I'd say Cary Davisson here in in Texas is a GREAT place for quality leather at decent prices, (mycartridgeboxes.com), and Missouri Boot & Shoe is equally great, but back log and wait time is a big thing with them right now I hear, which will be a thing for quality anyway.

For a Union Kepi, I'd stay away from the mainstream $20 Pakistan made ones. The shape, brim, and everything is all wrong compared to an original, and you'll get a sunburnt face on a cloudy day. Heck Jarnagin would be a a way better option at the $50 they charge for they're mainstream Union forage cap. Best place right now, hands down, for any kind of headwear new in the box, is on FB at "Goober Grabber Headwear" who makes awesome Confederate caps and any kind of CW to 20th Century slouch hats for great prices, (but I really don't want to know where the name came from...), and he'll make a Union kepi if asked I'm sure. I can't quote prices, but I ain't heard no balking at them, plus Union stuff will be more expensive than Confederate simply because the materials and construction are more expensive.

You could also on places like FB keep an eye on pages like "Campaigner Quality Trade Blanket" for good deals on used items. Regular "trade blankets" on FB will get you used up farby stuff at a higher than its worth price a lot of times.

You all are awesome, thank you for the input! I’m looking into your suggestions. I sure do appreciate the help, it will save me disappointments compared to going into it blind.

Not to muddy the waters from my earlier post about MB&S (they are awesome) but if you can find some older Jarnagin leathers, thay’ll suite your purposes as well. I had a complete set of US accoutrements from them that I purchased new circa 1990 and they lasted over 25 years, were US made and looked good enough to fool many of the purists. I’m not sure what their goods are like now but there must be used sets out there. I sold mine about 2 years ago and had people jumping at them.

Missouri Boot and Shoe is an excellent recommendation, all my CS leather came from there. For Federal leather also take a look at LD Hanning. Robert Saye and Cary Davidson are also very good. For a kepi or forage cap look at Greg Starbuck's stuff at kepi nation on Facebook.

If you aren't planning to use them in the field, and aren't a complete stickler for accuracy, Regimental Quartermaster makes good leathers. Most of my N-SSA team uses them.

Back