Stonewall Question re: Stonewall Jackson, fact or fiction?

In re-reading an old book, the following quote struck me as interesting.
"Jackson kept his own counsel to such an extent that he once moved an army of about 25,000 men across complex terrain by instructing his generals to lead their troops from crossroad to crossroad - at each spot sending them further directions as to which road to take."

From The Civil War: Strange and Fascinating Facts. Burke Davis. 1982.

Fact or fiction?
If so, when and where?
If so, why might he have chosen to do this, at that time and place?

Thanks for any references, info, etc.

Tamara I don't know the answer but recommend Burke Davis's book "They Call Him Stonewall". Since Mr. Davis wrote the information you quoted, it could be in this book. I will check the book and see if I can find reference. I read it earlier this year but there is so much to remember from the different books read.

This may refer to the battle of Winchester during the Valley campaign. Jackson was often very secretive - he said he'd throw away his coat if it knew his plans!

ps
I think he had a lot fewer than 25000 - more like 15-17000.

Thanks, Donna, will look for Davis' book on Stonewall. Part of my concern, though, is that Davis' scholarship is 30 years past, and I'm wondering if new info has come to light since then.

James I Robertson's book on Stonewall was published in 1997, I think - that is an excellent biography. He used some letters and such that were not available to Davis, but Davis is still quite good.

That's why I still like Robert Selph Henry and Wyeth's bios of Forrest - some of the newer ones, with different interpretations are excellent but somehow these two old timers got a better feel of the man. Shelby Foote, too - he could remember talking to old men who were Confederate veterans when he was a kid in Mississippi.

I don't have my copy of Robertson's book handy, but I don't doubt it one bit. Captain Welles Hawkes, knowing Jackson's tendency to move on the spur of the moment, asked Jackson which direction on the pike to face the wagons so he'd be ready to move out after camp was broke. Jackson replied sternly, "I said towards the pike sir!" He rarely let his staff know anything except on a need to know basis.

I've always been amazed at how much civil war soldiers revealed about their units and their plans, to anyone who would ask. A civilian standing by the roadside could call out to passing units, ask them who they were and where they were going, and in response would get a pretty detailed reply. Of course, the civilian could well be a spy, scout, or simply one with Union sympaties. Under these circumstands, it probably was wise of Jackson to keep his plans to himself, especially when they relied upon stealth, secrecy, and deception.

I'm amazed at that, too! They were sure frank about some things, and sometimes wanted to brag or scare. However, occasionally that free tongue could be a trap. Rucker was captured at Nashville during the retreat, after a perfectly astounding and weird saber fight where he got his arm broken. As they showed him into his tent he said they'd better watch it, Forrest would pay them! Yeah, he's on the field? Is he? Rucker answered, "You'll see!" Forrest was a good long ways away and didn't return for some time, but it did have the effect of stopping the pursuit. Sherman always said his personal presence on a field was worth 10,000 men!

Jackson, though, carried it a wee mite too far and, in the end, got killed because of it. Maj. Barry could have used a heads-up the general might be in his front that night! And, when he had to turn command over to somebody else he had a hard time remembering and saying coherently what they should do - in the end he just said Stuart would know. He didn't but he did all right!

rhp6033 said:
I've always been amazed at how much civil war soldiers revealed about their units and their plans, to anyone who would ask. A civilian standing by the roadside could call out to passing units, ask them who they were and where they were going, and in response would get a pretty detailed reply. Of course, the civilian could well be a spy, scout, or simply one with Union sympaties. Under these circumstands, it probably was wise of Jackson to keep his plans to himself, especially when they relied upon stealth, secrecy, and deception.
Late in 1863 or early 1864, Stuart had to circulate an order telling his people to stop doing this. And also to stop giving out information if they were captured. It's hard to believe they would have to be told this, but such was the 19th century.

Confederate soldiers were also notorious for providing false information though. And Union generals, especially in the AoP, were notorious for gobbling it up.

James I Robertson's book on Stonewall was published in 1997, I think - that is an excellent biography. He used some letters and such that were not available to Davis, but Davis is still quite good.

I am currently re-reading Robertson's book--last time I read it was during a grad class, so this is more for pleasure. This afternoon I was reading footnotes regarding the Bee quote, and he noted that Freeman did a detailed analysis back when he wrote Lee's Lieutenants--and that as far as he could find, it was still valid. What I guess I'm trying to say is that good scholarship knows no age. At this point, the "rehashings" of every general, unless they have some new info, are just that, as far as I'm concerned. In fact, Vandiver's book was the first one I read on Stonewall, and other than Robertson, is the best, IMHO, at "getting" Jackson's personality. Robertson beats him all hollow on digging up new info, though, and being able to put it together with what was known and supposed :smile:

And here I've just been thinking Jackson was paranoid. This definitely puts things in perspective for me! Never thought about it that way before!

Henry Kyd Douglas in I Rode With Stonewall mentions a crazy march from the Valley to link up with Lee. My copy isn't handy, but it was over roads so muddy and terrain so forbidding that Douglas thought Jackson had lost it.

Henry Kyd Douglas in I Rode With Stonewall mentions a crazy march from the Valley to link up with Lee. My copy isn't handy, but it was over roads so muddy and terrain so forbidding that Douglas thought Jackson had lost it.

Well, he thought that several times. So did other folks. However, like Robertson says, generally when you get all the info, you find out he was absolutely spot on in his judgement. (And let's just say Douglas is one of my favorite writers, but as far as accurate.....not.)

Back