Question on Sharps Rifle

texaswildcat

Sergeant
Pennsylvania Bucktails carried the Sharps double trigger rifle, the same as Berdan's SharpsShooters. My question is, what exactly does that second trigger do? The rifle does not have an extra barrel like a double barrel shotgun....

THe Pa Bucktails Sharps were not all equipped w/ a set trigger. THe set trigger: after the hammer is pulled back the set trigger is pulled or set. THis creates a very light trigger pull aka hair trigger allowing for a very light squeeze to drop the hammer and fire the rifle thus increasing the accuracy.

THere is quite a bit of argument about how many of the Berdan Sharps had the set trigger. THe arguments range from only the NCO's to all. My own beliefe is a figure in the middle.

THe Sharps rifle was justifiably famous for its outstanding accuracy in the hands of an experianced shooter. And Berdans Men & the Pa Bucktails only enhanced that excellent reputation.

There are two good books IMO on sharpshooters.

Sharpshooter: Hiram Berdan, His Famous Sharpshooters and their Sharps Rifles by Wiley Sword

Sharpshooters of the American Civil War 1861-65 by Philip Katcher

Both are still available I believe.

The Sharps Rifle and Carbine were the favorite of most soldiers because they didn't need special ammo like the Spencer. They were slower to load but more accurate.

"The Sharps Rifle and Carbine were the favorite of most soldiers because they didn't need special ammo like the Spencer. They were slower to load but more accurate."

And they hit harder at a far greater range.

Where did I read that a unit -- I think Berdan's -- started with the single-trigger and gradually converted to the set-trigger model?

texaswildcat:

To elaborate only slightly on Shane's excellent post, the trigger travel (distance from start of pull to hammer release) was fairly long (1/2-inch?) and quite heavy (5-6 lbs. on the Sharps) because the movement had to slide the sear against a springloaded surface. Both the travel and pull detract from the gunner's ability to hold steady on a really small target (someone's head at 500 yards, for example),

In a double-trigger version, the first trigger takes up that distance and effort, leaving the final twitch for the set trigger which needs little more than a touch to drop the hammer. Modern target and sniper rifles are equipped either with a set trigger or mechanisms designed and worked by skilled hands to minimize the travel and pull.

Just a thought.
Ole

Thank goodness I have military experience to help me through your explination Ole. It was insightful and of great help by everyone, but an average person would just be baffled by all this

Wiley Sword's book (as well as Roy Marcot) states that most Sharps rifles issued to Berdan had double set triggers. California Joe's original Sharps had a single set trigger. Not all Berdan's Sharps were double trigger and some were single.

BTW, Katcher's book is OK for a starting point, but you won't be missing anything as he says nothing new or revealing. Better off with Fred Ray's new book.

I'll second Gary's suggestion on Ray's new book, I've heard nothing but praises for it though I've yet to get a chance to read it. I'm not a big fan of Katchers book as It seems to be too much of a gloss over leaving a lot out. Then again I'm not a fan of most of the Osprey series. I think Swords work on Berdan is quite well done and a far better buy for the money.

Back