1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!

Question on Cavalry, Mounted Rifles, Mounted Infantry, Please?

Discussion in 'Civil War History - General Discussion' started by JPK Huson 1863, Jun 24, 2013.

  1. M E Wolf

    M E Wolf Colonel Retired Moderator

    Feb 9, 2008
    Dyer's Compendium, Pt. 3 (Regimental Histories)
    Organized at Philadelphia as an independent Regiment, "Harlan's Light Cavalry," under authority of the Secretary of War, August to October, 1861. Moved to Washington, D.C., October 14, 1861. At Camp Palmer, near Ball's Cross Roads, October 16-November 17. Designation of Regiment changed to 11th Cavalry November 13, 1861. Ordered to Fortress Monroe, Va., November 17. Attached to Dept. of Virginia to July, 1862. Unattached, Division at Suffolk, 7th Army Corps, Dept. of Virginia, to July, 1863. U.S. Forces, Norfolk and Portsmouth, Va.. Dept. Virginia and North Carolina, to October, 1863. Cavalry Brigade, Portsmouth, Va., Dept. Virginia and North Carolina, to April, 1864. 2nd Brigade, Cavalry Division, Dept. Virginia and North Carolina, to January, 1865. 2nd Brigade, Cavalry Division, Dept. of Virginia, to August, 1865.

    SERVICE.--Duty at Camp Hamilton, Va., till May, 1862. Reconnoissance to Big Bethel January 3. Moved to Portsmouth May 15. (Cos. "C" and "M" at Newport News March to May.) Action at Blackwater, near Zuni, May 30, 1862. Companies "A," "E," "G," "H" and "L" ordered to Suffolk, Va., June, 1862, and picket and outpost duty there and toward the Blackwater till June, 1863. Company "M" to Portsmouth, Va., and duty there till March 20, 1863. Companies "B," "C," "D," "F," "I" and "K" ordered to Join Army Potomac at White House, participating in operations against Stuart June 13-15, and picket duty at White House and in rear of army till July 2. Operations about New Kent C. H. June 23, and about White House June 26-July 2. Evacuation of White House July 2, and moved to Williamsburg, rejoining other Companies at Suffolk August 20, 1862. Action at Franklin August 31. Reconnoissance from Franklin to Blackwater October 3. Suffolk October 15. Reconnoissance from Suffolk December 1-3. Beaver Dam Creek December 1. Near Franklin and Blackwater December 2. Suffolk December 12. Expedition toward Blackwater January 8-10, 1863. Action at Deserted House January 30. Norfolk February 10 (Co. "M"). Franklin and Blackwater March 17. Siege of Suffolk April 12-May 4. Somerton Road April 15. Edenton Road April 24. Reconnoissance through Gates County, N. C., and down Chowan River June 5-7. Near Suffolk June 11 (Detachment). Expedition to South Anna Bridge June 23-28 (Detachment). Dix's Peninsula Campaign June 24-July 8. South Anna Bridge June 26. Hanover C. H. June 26. Capture of Gen. W. H. F. Lee. Expedition from White House to South Anna River July 1-7. South Anna Bridge July 4. Moved to Portsmouth, Va., and duty there till January, 1864. Expedition from Portsmouth to Jackson, N. C., July 25-August 3. 1864. Jackson July 28. Expedition to Camden and Currituck Counties, N. C., August 5-12. Expedition to Edenton, N. C., August 11-19 (Cos. "G," "I" and "K"). Near Pasquotank August 18. South Mills September 12. Reconnoissance to Blackwater River September 14-17. Expedition from Yorktown to Matthews County October 4-9 (Detachment). Expedition to South Mills and Camden, N. C., December 5-24. Moved to Williamsburg, Va., January 23, 1864, and duty there till April. Wistar's Expedition against Richmond February 6-8. Scout in Gloucester County February 28. Expedition in support of Kilpatrick March 1-4. Expedition into King and Queen County March 9-12. Carlton's Store March 10. Expedition into Matthews and Middlesex Counties March 17-21. Reconnoissance to Blackwater April 13-15. Butler's operations on south side of the James and against Petersburg and Richmond May 4-28. Kautz's Raid on Petersburg & Weldon Railroad and to City Point, Va., May 5-11. Birch Island Bridges May 5. Bird Island Bridges, Blackwater River, May 6. Stony Creek Station, Weldon Railroad, May 7. White's Bridge, Nottaway Creek, May 8. Jarrett's Station and White's Bridge May 9. (Cos. "B" and "H" to Headquarters 18th Corps May 4; Co. "H" there till September 28.) Kautz's Raid on Richmond & Danville Railroad May 12-17. Flat Creek Bridge, near Chula Depot, May 14. Belcher's Mills May 16. Bermuda Hundred June 2 (Detachment). Petersburg June 9. Before Petersburg June 15-18. Siege operations against Petersburg and Richmond June 16, 1864, to April 2, 1865. (Co. "B" rejoined Regiment June 20.) Wilson's Raid on South Side & Danville Railroad June 22-30, 1864. Staunton River Bridge and Roanoke Station June 25. Sappony Church or Stony Creek June 28-29. Ream's Station June 29. Demonstration on north side of the James at Deep Bottom July 27-29. Deep Bottom July 27-28. Ream's Station August 18-21. Vaughan Road August 22. Dinwiddie Road, near Ream's Station, August 23. Near Ream's Station August 24. Ream's Station August 25. Jerusalem Plank Road September 15. Sycamore Church September 16. Chaffin's Farm, New Market Heights, September 28-30. Darbytown Road October 7 and 13. Fair Oaks October 27-28. Johnson's Farm October 29. Darbytown Road December 10. Expedition to Fearnsville and Smithfield February 11-15. 1865. Appomattox Campaign March 28-April 9. Five Forks April 1. Gravelly Ford, Hatcher's Run, April 2. Deep Creek April 4. Amelia C. H. April 4-5. Prince Edward C. H. April 7. Appomattox Station April 8. Appomattox C. H. April 9. Surrender of Lee and his army. March to Lynchburg, Va., April 12-16, thence to Richmond April 16-24. Expedition to Staunton May 5-11. Duty in the Sub-District of Albemarle till July. Mustered out at Richmond August 13, 1865. (Co. "L" detached on eastern shore of Virginia from 1863.)

    Dyer's Compendium, Pt. 3 (Regimental Histories)
    (See 11th Cavalry.)

    Dyer's Compendium, Pt. 3 (Regimental Histories)
    Organized at Camp Chase, Ohio, August 31, 1861. Moved to Philadelphia and attached to 11th Pennsylvania Cavalry as Company "M." (See 11th Pennsylvania Cavalry.)
    O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME 5 [S# 5]
    No. 1. -- Extract, embracing the "First Period," from Maj. Gen. George B. McClellan's report of the operations of the Army of the Potomac from July 27, 1861, to November 9, 1862.
    By October the new levies had arrived in sufficient numbers, and the process of organization so far carried on that the construction of divisions had been effected.
    The following statement exhibits the composition of the Army, October 15, 1861:
    Organization of the Army of the Potomac, October 15, 1861.
    1. Brig. Gen. George Stokeman's cavalry command.--Fifth U.S. Cavalry., Fourth Pennsylvania Cavalry, Oneida Cavalry (first company), Eleventh Pennsylvania Cavalry (Harlan's), and Barker's Illinois Cavalry (one company).
    2. Col. H. J. Hunt's artillery reserve.--Batteries L, A, and B, Second U.S. Artillery; Batteries K and F, Third U.S. Artillery; Battery K, Fourth U.S. Artillery; Battery H, First U.S. Artillery, and Battery A, Fifth U.S. Artillery.

  2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. M E Wolf

    M E Wolf Colonel Retired Moderator

    Feb 9, 2008
    O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME 9 [S# 9]
    Abstract from return of the Department of Virginia, Maj. Gen. John E. Wool, U.S. Army, commanding, for January, 1862.
    O Officers. B Aggregate present and absent
    M Men. C Heavy
    P Present for duty D Field
    A Aggregate present E Pieces of artillery

    ------P---- --------E------
    Commands. O M A B C D
    Department staff 16 .... 16 17 .... ....
    Fort Monroe 48 1,280 1,534 1,614 223 23
    Camp Hamilton 164 4,365 5,159 5,941 .... ....
    Camp Butler 150 3,301 4,134 4,376 .... ....
    Fort Calhoun 7 150 165 184 .... ....
    Total 385 9,096 11,008 12,132 223 23

    Organizations in the Department of Virginia, January 31, 1862.
    Col. MAX WEBER, 20th New York.
    1st Delaware.
    20th Indiana.
    16th Massachusetts.
    20th New York.
    99th New York (6 companies).
    11th Pennsylvania Cavalry.
    Mounted Rifles (4 companies).

    O.R.--SERIES I--VOLUME XL/1 [S# 80]
    JUNE 13-JULY 31, 1864.--The Richmond (Virginia) Campaign.
    No. 7.--Return of Casualties in the Union Forces.
    [Compiled from nominal list of casualties, returns, &c.]
    JUNE 15-30, 1864.

    [With exceptions noted in particular cases, the roster of organizations is given as it stood June 30. As far as shown by the records (which are more or leas confused and incomplete) the succession of brigade and superior commanders is given for the whole period represented.]

    O Officers. A Aggregate
    M Men. C Captured or missing

    --Killed-- -Wounded- -----C-----
    Commands. O M O M O M A


    Lieut. Gen. ULYSSESS. GRANT.

    5th U.S. Cavalry, Companies B, F, and K. .... .... .... .... .... .... ....
    4th U.S. Infantry(*) .... .... .... .... .... .... ....
    [extensive excerpt]

    General summary of Casualties in the Union Forces operating against Richmond, Va., July 1-31, 1864, including Deep Bottom (27th-29th), "The Crater" (30th), and along the lines.


    Maj. Gen. WILLIAM F. SMITH
    Brig. Gen. JOHN H. MARTINDALE.(+)
    Maj. Gen. EDWARD O. C. ORD.(++)


    Lieut. Col. JOAB N. PATTERSON.



    4th Massachusetts Cavalry, Companies E and H .... .... .... .... .... .... ....
    1st New York Engineers, Companies B, K, and M .... .... .... .... .... .... ....
    1st New York Mounted Rifles, Companies D and H. .... .... .... .... .... .... ....
    5th Pennsylvania Cavalry, Companies H and I .... .... .... .... .... .... ....
    11th Pennsylvania Cavalry, Company H .... .... .... .... .... .... ....
    Total unattached .... .... .... 1 .... .... 1

    Total Eighteenth Army Corps 3 132 14 598 2 36 785

    Chapter X.—11th Pennsylvania Cavalry (108th Pa. Vols.)
    Spear's Brigade--Kautz's Division--Cavalry Corps.
    (1) Col. JOSIAH HARLAN.

    O Officers K Killed and died of wounds.
    M Men D Died of disease, accidents, in prison, &c.
    T Total E Total Enrollment

    --------K-------- --------D-------
    Companies O M T O M T E
    Field and Staff · · · · · · · · · · · · 23
    Company A 1 8 9 · · 17 17 181
    B 2 8 10 · · 12 12 175
    C 1 3 4 · · 13 13 192
    D · · 7 7 · · 18 18 161
    E 3 19 22 · · 13 13 177
    F 1 7 8 · · 23 23 180
    G · · 8 8 · · 13 13 176
    H · · 10 10 · · 13 13 168
    I 1 9 10 · · 13 13 175
    K · · 9 9 · · 18 18 184
    L 1 11 12 · · 15 15 149
    M 1 9 10 · · 12 12 182
    Totals 11 108 119 · · 180 180 2,123
    Died in Confederate prisons (previously included), 64.

    Suffolk, Va.. May 30, 1862 1 Suffolk, Va., June 4, 1863 3
    Franklin, Va., Aug. 31, 1862 1 South Anna, Va. June 26, 1863 2
    Cassville, Va., Oct. 15. 1862 1 Guerrillas, Va., Sept. 12, 1863 1
    Beaver Dam, Va. Dec. 2, 1862 1 Blackwater, Va.. Nov. 10, 1863 1
    Deserted House, Jan. 30, 1863 2 Jarrett's Station, May 7. 1864 4
    Norfolk, Va., Feb. 10, 1863 1 Flat Creek Bridge, May 14, 1864 . 5
    Suffolk. Va. March 12, 1863 1 City Point, Va., May 17, 1864 3
    Franklin, Va., March 17, 1863 3 Petersburg, Va., June 9, 1864 5
    Suffolk, Va.. April 13, 1863 1 Petersburg, Va., June 15. 1864 1
    Suffolk, Va.. April 15, 1863 2 Staunton Bridge, June 27, 1864 1
    Carrsville, Va., May 17, 1863 1 Fair Oaks, Va., Sept. 29, 1864 1
    Ream's Station, June 29, 1864 27 Guerrillas, Va., Feb. 15, 1865 1
    Ream's Station. Aug. 25, 1864 11 Five Forks, Va., April 1, 1865 7
    James River, Va., Oct. 3, 1864 1 Deep Creek, Va., April 3, 1863 41
    Darbytown Road, Oct. 7, 1864 14 Andersonville Prison 1
    Richmond, Va., Oct. 30, 1864 1 Place unknown 9
    New Market Heights, Dec. 10, 1864 2

    NOTES.--The Eleventh was raised originally as an independent regiment under special authority from the War Department, but was afterwards placed in the Pennsylvania line. Some of the companies were raised in other states; two came from New York, one from Iowa, one from Ohio, and one from New Jersey. It organized at Philadelphia, October 5, 1861, and the same month went to Virginia, 1130 strong. After a month's stay in a camp of instruction it proceeded to Fort Monroe, where it spent six months or more in drill and light duty. Active service commenced in May, 1862, some of the companies doing duty near Suffolk, while five companies served with General McClellan's Army on the Peninsula. In 1863, the regiment was employed on scouting and outpost duty in the vicinity of Suffolk and the Blackwater, during which several minor affairs or skirmishes occurred, with considerable loss in wounded and killed. Over 400 of the men reenlisted in the fall of 1863, which, with the recruits, preserved the organization of the regiment after its term had expired. In 1864, it fought in Kautz's Cavalry Division (afterwards Mackenzie's), and at Ream's Station lost over one hundred in killed and wounded, including three officers killed. At Five Forks another sharp contest occurred, in which Major Monroe and two officers were killed, together with several of their men.
  4. M E Wolf

    M E Wolf Colonel Retired Moderator

    Feb 9, 2008
    Medical/Surgical History--Part I, Volume II
    Chapter V.--Wounds And Injuries Of The Chest.
    Section I.--Incised Wounds, Contusions, And Miscellaneous Injuries.
    SQUIRES, T. G., Private, Co. L, 11th Pennsylvania Cavalry. Bayonet wound of left side, and gunshot wound of shoulder. Stoney Creek, June 29th, 1864. Treated in 1st division hospital, Annapolis. Returned to duty on November 16th, 1865. Examining Surgeon Martin Rizer, of Brookville, Pa., reported, May 1st, 1866, that there was "nearly entire loss of motion in right arm from gunshot wound of right shoulder, entering just below the articulation, fracturing the spine of the scapula, passing out near the spine. Bayonet wound of right side, fracturing eighth rib. Reams's Station, June 20th, 1864. Disability one-half and permanent."

    Medical/Surgical History--Part II, Volume II
    Chapter VII.--Injuries Of The Pelvis.
    Section II.--Flesh Wounds Of The Back.
    Sometimes, on the contrary, the reparative process was very slow after such lacerations, as would be anticipated from the nature of the vascular supply in this region.
    (1) Of the thirteen reported cases of sabre wounds of the back, twelve were received in action, as follows: Pt. T. O'Rourke, K, 6th Pennsylvania Cavalry, Brandy Station, August lst; duty, August 18, 1863. G. Radebaugh, H, 13th Pennsylvania Cavalry, Winchester, June 15, 1863; duty. Pt. J. Barber, K, 1st Colored Troops, September 30, 1864; duty. Pt. J. Jones, H, 11th Pennsylvania Cavalry, near Richmond, October 17, 1864; discharged. Pt. W. H. Cheeny, H, 5th Connecticut, Savannah, December 10, 1864; duty. Corporal H. H. Brownsmiller, H, 1st Pennsylvania Cavalry, Jeffersville, April 5, 1864; discharged. Lieut. J. M. Corns, E, 2d West Virginia Cavalry, Five Forks, April 1st; duty, April 22, 1865. Pt. T. Gray, F, 2d West Virginia Cavalry, Five Forks, April lst; duty, April 18, 1865. Pt. P Gallagher, I, 9th Massachusetts, Gettysburg, July 2d; duty, September 8, 1863. Serg't. T. Taylor, B, 10th New York Cavalry, Brandy Station, June 9th; duty, August 16, 1863. Pt. T. Dewyer, 4th Michigan, Fort Donelson; duty. Pt. C. A. Woods, A, 1st Pennsylvania Artillery, Petersburg, July 1, 1864; discharged. The bayonet stabs appear to have been inflicted, for the most part, by sentries or provost's guards, or in brawls, or through accident. One example only is specified as a wound received in action, and in this single case it does not clearly appear that the wound was inflicted by the enemy.

    (2) Sabre wounds of the back are seldom referred to. BILGUER (Chir. Wahrnehmungen, 1763, S. 493) gives an instance in the Seven Years War (1756-63) : A cavalryman, J. R-----, retreating and leaning over his horse's neck, received two severe sword-cuts in the lumbar region. MORGAGNI (De sed. et caus., 1765, Ep. LIII, p. 270) records an autopsy in a case of sabre-thrust in the back. A report by Surgeon S. W. GROSS. U. S. V. (Am. Med. Times, 1864, Vol. VII, p. 136), of a sword-stab in the left flank, penetrating the descending colon, has already been alluded to on page 76 ante.

    (3) STROMEYER (Maximen der Kriegsheilkunst, 1855, S. 670) observes: "Shot wounds of the soft parts of the back have not an especial tendency to suppuration. But in long seton wounds it frequently occurs that they heal, and reopen after months and form a fluctuating tumor, which must be opened, as the thick skin of the back is only slowly perforated by the serous substance. Many surgeons err in trying to relieve the ailment by several small incisions or even punctures parallel to the spine; these afford no relief, and it is absolutely necessary to make an incision of several inches in length at a right angle to the spine."

    Medical/Surgical History--Part II, Volume II
    Chapter IX.--Wounds And Injuries Of The Upper Extremities.
    Section II.--Fractures Of The Clavicle And Scapula.
    The following case is interesting in several points of view, but particularly as demon-strafing that the lumbar ecchymosis, regarded by Valentin and Larrey as of diagnostic value, and even as pathognomonic of penetration of the thoracic cavity, may attend wounds external to it--a much disputed point, to some extent discussed in a note on page 575 of the First Surgical Volume:

    CASE 1435.--Private C. Ely, Co. K, 11th Pennsylvania Cavalry, aged 19 years, was wounded in a skirmish near Suffolk, Virginia, March 19, 1863. Surgeon G. C. Harlan, of this regiment, described the case as follows: "Fie was shot with a minié ball in the right shoulder, while mounted, March 17th, at Franklin. Wound of entrance in the anterior fold of axilla. Ball extracted below the spine of the scapula, having passed between the bone and its vessels, ploughing a deep groove in the neck of the former, and passing through the body of the scapula. There was not much external haemorrhage, but enormous effusion between the muscular planes, extending to the spine behind, and dissecting up, and distending, the pectoral muscles in front, inducing a great tumefaction about the shoulder joint. The head of the humerus was apparently uninjured. Cold-water dressings were applied. March 19th, swelling about the same; warm-water dressings substituted for the cold. April 9th, patient up and walking about with his arm in a sling. Wound has discharged very little. The extravasated blood is for the most part absorbed. As the swelling subsided, a displaced piece of bone could be felt under the skin on the outside of the arm, just below the head of the humerus. April 15th, the patient was sent to hospital at Fort Monroe. He had slight motion of the arm, but free motion of the forearm and hand." This soldier was discharged June 15, 1863, and pensioned. Examiner H. Roberts, of Providence, reported, July 3, 1871: "The ball entered in front, fracturing the acromion process, which is now drawn downward. The bal lcame out, apparently through the scapula just below the spine. At present Mr. Ely is unable to raise his arm up to a level with the shoulder, or put it behind him; neither can he put it up to his head except in front. Rotation of the arm not equal to half of the natural limits. The powers of the arm and shoulder are greatly reduced, and the muscles in the region of injury are tender, contracted, and shrunken." Ely was examined by the Scranton Board, Drs. A. Davis and R. A. Squires, September 5, 1873, and September 2, 1874; no material change was reported. He was paid June 4, 1874.

    Medical/Surgical History--Part II, Volume II
    Chapter IX.--Wounds And Injuries Of The Upper Extremities.
    Section V.--Wounds And Injuries Of The Elbow Joint.
    224 Titus, S. N., Major, 11th Pennsylvania Cavalry, age 36. Oct. 7, 1864. Minié ball gunshot fracture of lower part of right humerus, involving elbow joint. Oct. 7, 1864. Excision of two or three inches lower end of humerus, by a Confederate surgeon. Partial anchylosis. Disch'd Mar. 11, 1865; pens'd. Forearm and hand paralyzed; limb useless.

    Medical/Surgical History--Part II, Volume II
    Chapter IX.--Wounds And Injuries Of The Upper Extremities.
    Section III.--Excisions Of The Head And Portions Of The Shaft Of The Humerus

    17 Brink, J. H., Pt. K, 11th Pennsylvania Cavalry, age 19. May 21, 1863. Shot fracture of upper third of right humerus. May 21, 1863. Excision of head and neck of right humerus, by Surgeon G. C. Harlan, 11th Pennsylvania Cavalry. Disch'd Sept. 22, 1863; pensioned. Sept., 1866, arm hangs powerless at his side. Photo. 208, Surgical Series.

    Medical/Surgical History--Part II, Volume II
    Chapter IX.--Wounds And Injuries Of The Upper Extremities.
    Section III.--Excisions Of The Head And Portions Of The Shaft Of The Humerus

    Detailed abstracts of fourteen of the two hundred and thirteen reported successful primary excisions of the head and portions of the shaft of the humerus for shot injury precede the foregoing tabular statement; but the subject is of such interest and importance that some further examples from this group will be selected.

    Surgeon George C. Harlan, 11th Pennsylvania Cavalry, adopted, in the following instance, an ingenious plan of counter-extension and of maintenance of the limb at rest:

    CASE 1534.--Private J. Brink, Co. K, 11th Pennsylvania Cavalry, aged 19 years, was shot, as the regimental surgeon reports: "At short range, while mounted, by guerillas concealed in bushes by the way-side, May 22, 1863, near Windsor, about twelve miles from Suffolk, Virginia. He was taken immediately to the regimental hospital at Suffolk in an ambulance wagon. He was a good deal exhausted by haemorrhage, which had been only partially checked, by a surgeon near at hand, with lint and bandage. The wound of entrance was in the median line of the right side of the chest two inches below the axilla. The wound of exit was in front of the shoulder, two inches and a half below the acromial end of the clavicle. The joint was not opened, but the humerus was terribly shattered below its head. He was etherized, and five inches of the bone. including the head, were removed by means of a free straight incision through the deltoid, the periosteum being carefully dissected from the fragments, and the sharp end of the bone sawed off squarely below the fracture by an ordinary amputating saw. Only one ligature was needed, and the wound was brought together by lead-wire sutures, except a space at the lower end, left as a drain, in which a piece of lint was inserted. A straight splint was applied to the back of the arm, which was loosely bandaged to the side by a roller. Morphia was administered freely, and water dressings applied to the wound. On May 22d, the patient was doing well; there was slight febrile action, yet a good deal of pain. The splint and bandages were removed, and extension was made from the lower end of the arm, and counter-extension by means of adhesive strips applied to the front and back of the chest and passing over a block above the shoulder, as suggested by Dr. H. Lenox Hedge in the treatment of fractured thigh.(1) These points were connected by an iron bar extending from several inches below the elbow to the back above the shoulder and bent at both ends (FIG. 431). This kept the limb in a favorable and comfortable position and maintained its length, and left the wound free for the application of dressings. He could now be moved in bed, or raised to the sitting posture, without pain. June 3d, doing well. The discharge has been profuse, but is diminishing.

    The wound gaped when the sutures were removed, on the fourth day, leaving a healthy granulating surface. He is taking punch and quinia, and full diet. June 8th, doing well; edges of the wound cicatrizing. June 9th, had a chill this morning; his tongue is coated, and he has dizziness and sick stomach. June 10th, the dizziness and nausea continue; the granulations have become pale and flabby, and the discharge dark and thin and sanious; pulse feeble, and expression anxious. These symptoms, in connection with the fact that a patient died of pyaemia in the same ward, on the 8th, left very little hope of recovery. Under active stimulation and most careful nursing, however, he gradually improved; and when the regiment received marching orders, was sent to general hospital, June 24th, still very feeble. March 13, 1868, Brink called at my office to-day. He has been employed for some time as a telegraph operator, always using the right hand at his work. He has perfect use of the forearm and hand, and partial use of the arm. He can place the hand on the opposite shoulder and carry it readily to the mouth in eating, when he always uses it by preference. The wounded arm is about an inch shorter than the sound one. Two inches and a half of new bone have been formed--its rounded extremity reaching to within an inch and a half of the acromion. It is flattened on its posterior surface and rounded anteriorly, and nearly equals the rest of the shaft in thickness. The pectoralis major, deltoid, and scapula muscles seem to be entirely wasted away, but the action of the coracobrachialis, biceps, and triceps is unimpaired, except, of course, by the want of support at The shoulder joint. He states that he was discharged from the Chesapeake Hospital on September 23, 1863; that the wound continued to discharge slightly for some time afterward; that he carried the arm in a sling for two months after ]caving the hospital, and then commenced to use it; that he noticed the new bone harden rapidly after that time, but that it was not perfectly firm for a year and a half after the time when he was wounded." Dr. Harlan contributed a photograph of the patient (FIG. 432), taken some five years after the operation. The records of the Chesapeake Hospital confirm the patient's account. He entered there June 23d, and was discharged September 23, 1863. He was pensioned. Examiners C. Mart', of Scranton, and G. Urquahart, of Wilkesbarre, describe the injury and operation, and the last pension report states that the pensioner was paid March 4, 1874.
    Medical/Surgical History--Part II, Volume II
    Chapter IX.--Wounds And Injuries Of The Upper Extremities.
    Wounds And Operations In The Forearm.
    27 Fitchett, C., Pt., A, 11th Pennsylvania Cavalry, age 18. Aug. 26, Sept. 17, 1864. Five and a half, upper, right ulna; by A. A. Surg. W. P. Moon (necrosis). Disch'd Jan. 20, 1865. Not a pensioner.

    Medical/Surgical History--Part II, Volume II
    Chapter IX.--Wounds And Injuries Of The Upper Extremities.
    Section III.--Wounds attended by Fracture of the Bones composing the Shoulder Joint
    CASE 1481.--Private D. M. Moore, Co. I, 11th Pennsylvania Cavalry, aged 25 years, was wounded at Franklin, March 17, 1863, and was treated in the regimental hospital until August 13, 1865, when he was discharged the service and pensioned. Surgeon G. C. Harlan, 11th Pennsylvania Cavalry, made the following special report: "Wounded, while charging the enemy's pickets, on horseback. Gunshot wound by minié ball in right shoulder. Examined a few hours afterward at the regimental hospital in .Suffolk. Compound comminuted fracture just below the neck of the right humerus. Bone much shattered, but vessels uninjured. Head of humerus entirely separated from shaft, and several small fragments lying loose between them. Shaft of humerus fissured below the wound, and head apparently split into several pieces. Ether was administered, and the injury carefully and thoroughly examined in consultation with Surgeons Hand, Humphreys, and Kneeland. After some hesitation it was decided not to resect for the following reasons: It could not be determined that the joint was actually opened, as the fracture did not appear to extend through the cartilage. The injury extended so low that at least four inches of the bone would hare been lost by an operation; the patient was young and healthy and in a favorable condition for treatment, and should a secondary operation be necessary there would be a better chance of preserving the periosteum, loosened by suppuration, and reproducing bone. Cold-water applications were accordingly made. The next day there were constant oozing of blood, a good deal of tumefaction, and great pain at the slightest motion. To secure perfect rest and favorable position I applied a long narrow splint to the outside of the arm, extending from a point four or five inches below the elbow to the wound, and continued by an iron bracket to a point four or five inches above the shoulder, making extension from the first point by means of strips of adhesive plaster applied to the lower third of the erda, and counter-extension from the second by strips applied to the chest and back obliquely, and passing over a block above the acromion. A bandage was lightly applied over the arm and a splint from the elbow to the wound, which was left open for the application of cold-water dressings. This was frequently removed without disturbing the position of the limb. March 19th, oozing of blood much diminished; no increase of swelling; pulse a little accelerated; very slight febrile action. Scarcely any increase of temperature locally; no pain. 20th, scarcely any change; ordered sulphate of magnesia in small and repeated doses. 21st, skin and pulse natural; bowels freely moved; a good deal of sanious discharge from the lower wound; applied poultice to this, and continued cold-water dressing to arm and shoulder. April 1st, suppuration well established, moderate, and healthy; several small pieces of bone extracted from the lower opening to-day; he has had little or no pain, and sleeps well without anodyne. April 9th, more bone extracted with forceps; to have ale at dinner. 18th, sitting up; discharge decreasing; some union of fracture. A few days after this date he was sent to his home in Pennsylvania on thirty days' furlough, and on his return was detailed as mail carrier. He continued upon this duty until the regiment was mustered out, after the war. There was almost constantly a slight discharge from the wound, and occasionally small pieces of bone were removed, only one requiring an excision. November 9, 1867, called at my office to-day; says his arm has given him very little trouble since he left the army; is now milling, but has been employed in farming, ploughing, etc. The last piece of bone came away about a year ago; can raise the arm to a right angle with the body, but not higher, from want of sufficient power in the deltoid; perfect motion inevery other direction. On superficial inspection no signs of the injury but four small scars, and a slight atrophy of the deltoid. -No shortening of the arm was detected by careful measurement. A piece of lead the size of a split pea just underneath the skin about the insertion of the deltoid, and another lower down a little deeper. No tenderness produced by either." Examiner P. S. Clinger reported, April 28, 1836: "Was struck in the right arm, the ball penetrating near the shoulder joint and fracturing the os humeri Anchylosis of shoulder joint; muscles agglutinated; wound open." A Board, convened at Lancaster, composed of Drs. W. Blackford and W. R. Grove; September 3, 1873, reported: "Wound open; arm emaciated." This pensioner was paid June 4, 1874.

    NOTE: Major Titus is listed as 11th Pennsylvania in the Medical Records however, he is listed with the 12th Pennsylvania Cavalry.

    M. E. Wolf
  5. M E Wolf

    M E Wolf Colonel Retired Moderator

    Feb 9, 2008
    SUFFOLK, VA., February 16, 1863.
    Major-General DIX:
    Major Stratton made a general reconnaissance in the direction of Black water, driving in the pickets about Carrsville, capturing 4 sabers, 1 Sharps' carbine, several blankets, and provisions. He examined contrabands who stated Pryor's force about Franklin at 11,000, and that 7,000 were at Black Creek Church with cavalry and right smart artillery," making 18,000. These agree very nearly with the reports made some ten days since. Major [Stratton] and Captain Loomis credit the report as to the 7,000 and place Pryor's at 7,000 or 8,000 also. Captain Loomis made the captures.
    SUFFOLK, VA., May 18, 1863.
    General DIX:
    A contraband from Franklin says General Jenkins states that we are fortifying at Carrsville and relaying the road from this end with the rail from that end with the view of advancing. The mail-boats are at or below Franklin. Stratton reports Lieutenant Titus with 47 men having a skirmish near Newby's Bridge with 150 guerrillas. An ambuscade was prepared to capture all his party, but he cut his way through; Lieutenant Beatty and 2 privates severely and 1 sergeant slightly wounded; I rebel killed, 2 prisoners, several wounded.No loss of horses, some having been taken by us. Stratton approves the conduct of Lieutenant Titus.
    DECEMBER 2, 1862.---Skirmish on the Blackwater, near Franklin, Va.
    No. 1.--Reports of Maj. Gen. John A. Dix, U.S. Army, commanding the Department of Virginia.
    Fort Monroe, Va., December 4, 1862.
    GENERAL: I sent you a message the day before yesterday, by telegraph, in regard to an action near the Blackwater between a party of the enemy and a portion of the Eleventh Pennsylvania Cavalry, sent out from Suffolk by Major-General Peck the previous day. Colonel Spear, of that regiment, who commanded the expedition, returned last night, bringing back his entire force, consisting, in addition to a part of his own regiment, of portions of the Thirty-ninth Illinois, Colonel Osborn; Sixty second Ohio, Colonel Pond; One hundred and thirtieth New York, Colonel Gibbs; Sixth Massachusetts, Colonel Follansbee; One hundred and third Pennsylvania, Lieutenant-Colonel Maxwell; two sections of Davis' Massachusetts Light Battery and one section of Howard's battery, Fourth U.S. Artillery; in all, about 3,100 men. The expedition was sent out in pursuance of the object, heretofore explained to you, of keeping a part of my force in constant motion, and also to ascertain the truth of information reported to Major-General Peck in regard to the movement of the enemy in the vicinity of Franklin. While Colonel Spear's force was breakfasting his pickets were driven in, and a charge was made by about 500 of the enemy's cavalry, with a section of a rocket battery. It was gallantly met by Colonel Spear, at the head of 300 of his regiment, and the enemy, thrown into confusion by his impetuous attack, recoiled, and was driven over his floating bridge at Franklin, which is protected by a battery of heavy guns. Ten or 12 of the enemy were killed and 20 were taken prisoners. We also captured 14 horses, a quantity of harness, 7 saddles, 42 rifles, 70 rockets of 12 and 15 pounds, and other minor articles. We sustained no loss either in men or horses. General Peck speaks in high terms of the gallantry of Colonel Spear, who has distinguished himself on more than one occasion by h is prompt and spirited movements; and the colonel mentions with communication Major Stratton and Lieutenants Buttz and Roper, of his regiment. The enemy retreated so suddenly that our artillery and infantry were not brought into action. The enemy's floating bridge swings from one bank of the Blackwater, which is very narrow, to the other, and is withdrawn from our side as soon as his forces cross.

    Col. J. R. Griffin and Major Boggs commanded the insurgents. General R. A. Pryor has just taken command at Franklin.
    With the means of crossing, the enemy's position at Franklin might easily have been attacked, and in all probability carried.
    I am, very respectfully, your obedient servant,
    JOHN A. DIX,
    Maj. Gen. H. W. HALLECK,
    General-in- Chief.
    MARCH 17, 1863.--Skirmish near Franklin, Va.
    No. 1.--Report of Maj. Gen. John J. Peck, U.S. Army.
    SUFFOLK, VA., March 17, 1863.
    DEAR SIR: Colonel Spear was delayed from four to five hours, and reached the vicinity of Franklin about 9 o'clock. He charged with cavalry, capturing one lieutenant, but his men failed to get over the earthworks, ditches, &c. He made a second charge with like results. He shelled them with effect. He went down toward South Quay and is now returning. Major Stratton led a charge and was twice wounded, but only slightly. Lieut. [G. B.] Knight and one man missing. Lieut. [S. L.] Monday is badly wounded. It was a bold dash for cavalry, and impressed the rebels with the idea that our men were in earnest.
    General DIX.

    MARCH 17, 1863.--Skirmish near Franklin, Va.
    No. 2.--Report of Col. Samuel P. Spear, Eleventh Pennsylvania Cavalry.
    Camp Suffolk, Va., March 18, 1863.
    SIR: I have the honor to submit the following report of a reconnaissance made by me in the direction of Franklin, &c.:
    On the evening of the 16th I received orders from the commanding general, through his assistant adjutant-general, to make a thorough investigation of the ground occupied by a supposed force on the Blackwater, and opposite to, on this side of the river from Franklin. I accordingly left Suffolk in command of 350 cavalry and four pieces of Davis' battery, and: proceeding very cautiously, arrived at and found the enemy's outer pickets at Hebron Church, half a mile from Carrsville and 4½ miles this side of Franklin. They at once fled to the woods, and undoubtedly, by a pathway, gave information of my approach. I advanced, and at a point 1 mile this side of Franklin found a small picket; captured a first lieutenant in charge and sent him at once to your headquarters. Here I ordered a charge of three companies, under Maj. F. A. Stratton, and he gallantly made the same, in which, immediately under the breastworks of the enemy, he lost his horse and full equipments. Some of his men were wounded and Lieut. Samuel L. Monday was badly wounded in the abdomen. The party under command of Major Stratton, after examining the enemy's defenses, &c., and in accordance to orders, returned and joined my main body. Captain Davis was then directed and threw about eighteen shells directly into the enemy's lines, which must have done great destruction.

    I then ordered cease firing and made a second charge of three companies, under Maj. George T. Cornog, which was done in such a manner as to merit my thanks. The enemy's intrenchments, masked battery, and rifle-pits were so constructed as to be impassable for cavalry, and while no results could be gained by me, enabled him to a very great advantage.

    The fortifications, rifle-pits, &c., are about 200 yards from Blackwater River and running nearly parallel with it, and it is estimated, by a minute examination, that one regiment of infantry, about 250 cavalry, two 10-pounder rifled guns, and one section of rocket battery is the strength of the enemy on this side of the river at that point.

    Inclosed please find a list of wounded and missing,(*) and see note of some since returned. Lieutenant Knight must, I think, have been thrown from his horse, and is probably now a prisoner unhurt.

    It gives me pleasure to commend highly the conduct of Majs. Franklin A. Stratton and George T. Cornog for their prompt, energetic, and spirited manner in conducting their respective charges, and unless these movements had been made it would have been impossible to have given a correct or even a slight account of the enemy's defenses, strength, &c.

    Lieut. Samuel L. Monday was seriously wounded(*) while in the performance of his duty, and I regret exceedingly this serious injury to an excellent and promising officer.

    Capt. Phineas A. Davis is deserving of great credit for his portion of duty in the reconnaissance, and officers and men all behaved well.

    Having performed the duty assigned me, I returned to camp at 7 last evening.
    While I regret exceedingly the loss in missing I am positive that I could not have carried out my instructions with less casualties.
    Very respectfully, your obedient servant,
    S. P. SPEAR,
    Colonel Eleventh Pennsylvania Cavalry.

    Maj. B. B. FOSTER,
    Assistant Adjutant-General.

    MAY 15, 1863.--Capture of the Steamers Emily and Arrow.
    No. 2.--Report of Capt. W. Dewees Roberts, Eleventh Pennsylvania Cavalry.

    May 17, 1863.
    MAJOR: I have the honor to make the following report from the expedition sent out yesterday afternoon to intercept the party supposed to have captured the Emily and Arrow.

    The Pasquotank Guerrillas crossed the Pasquotank River about 5 miles below Elizabeth City on Friday morning, the 15th instant. About 4 o'clock in the afternoon they captured one of the above-named boats in Currituck Canal, and with her pushed out into North River, where they captured the other boat, taking her crew prisoners. They then landed their prisoners, and, under a sufficient guard, appear to have taken them across the lower end of Camden County to near Shiloh and from thence across the Pasquotank River to Elizabeth City, where they arrived on the morning of the 16th instant (yesterday). Hearing of a Federal force in the vicinity, under Lieutenant Titus, they again went down the river and landed on the south side of the Pasquotank. The captured boats seem to have been taken down the Albemarle Sound and up the Chowan River. The rebel crew declared their intention of so doing, but if over-taken by our forces they would then destroy the boats.

    The party capturing these boats seem to have been about 40 of the Pasquotank Guerrillas, Captain Elliott commanding, and were guided by Captain Sanderlin, of the Camden Guerrillas. None of the Camden company, except the captain, were engaged in the capture.

    I have received this information from several persons living in the vicinity of Currituck Bridge, and the statements of all being the same I deem it entirely reliable.

    I am, very respectfully, your obedient servant,
    Captain, Eleventh Pennsylvania Volunteer Cavalry.
    Maj. F. A. STRATTON,
    Commanding at South Mills, N.C.
    HEADQUARTERS, South Mills, N.C., May 17, 1863.
    Respectfully forwarded to Brigadier-General Viele.
    Captain Roberts was sent with one company of cavalry and a howitzer to intercept the captors of the Emily and Arrow immediately upon the receipt of General Viele's dispatch on yesterday, but the notice was not soon enough to enable my party to intercept the rebels. Lieutenant Titus and one company was also out in the vicinity of Elizabeth City, where the rebels landed, but hearing of his presence there they re-em-barked and escaped, probably through the Sound.
    Major, 11th Pa. Cav., Comdg. Detachment at South Mills, N.C.

    Note: By collecting as many officers names as possible, as to sift through to find the commanding officer of Company "H" and see what is there after that.

    M. E. Wolf
  6. M E Wolf

    M E Wolf Colonel Retired Moderator

    Feb 9, 2008
    O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XXVII/2 [S# 44]
    JULY 25-AUGUST 3, 1863.--Expedition from Portsmouth, Va., to Jackson, N. C., and skirmish July 28.
    No. 2.--Report of Maj. Samuel Wetherell, Eleventh Pennsylvania Cavalry.

    August 3, 1863.
    SIR: I have the honor respectfully to report that, pursuant to Orders No. --, I left Bowers' Hill with 650 effective men, July 25, joining your brigade at the forks; proceeded through Suffolk; encamped on the Edenton Road, near Dardin's.

    July 26.--The regiment in advance to Gatesville. N. C., which we reached at 5 p.m. Companies K and M were sent forward to n. Messengers arrived during the night, stating that arrangements were needed to cross the river.

    July 27.--The regiment, in rear, left Gatesville at sunrise; arrived opposite Winton at 9 a.m.; crossed the Chowan as rapidly as the means of transportation afforded; left Winton at dusk, and encamped in Murfreesborough about 1.30 a.m
    July 28.--Pursuant to orders, detailed Lieutenant Nimmon, Company D, with party, to capture horses. Left Murfreesborough at sunrise; reached Jackson, N. C., at 4 p.m. The advance battalion, consisting of Companies I, Captain Reisinger; C, Lieutenant Neilson; E, Captain Bailey, and L, under command of Capt. John B. Loomis, senior captain, deserves special mention for the efficient manner in which nearly all the enemy's pickets stationed at different points to convey intelligence were captured, thus in a degree cutting off the news of our approach. At 1 mile from Murfreesborough, one soldier of [S. J.] Wheeler's battalion (the outpost), captured; 3 miles beyond, at the cross-roads, a lieutenant, 16 men, and 3 servants captured; at the store cross-road, 3 miles beyond, a lieutenant, 5 soldiers, a mounted messenger, and several citizens surprised and captured; at the forks, 4 miles east of Jackson, a picket, consisting of 3 soldiers, captured; making, in all, 2 lieutenants, 30 soldiers, 6 citizens, 3 servants, and the horse and equipments of the lieutenant.

    The advance battalion, under Captain Loomis, and two howitzers. Lieutenant [Lucien F.] Prudhomme, charged into the town and drove General Ransom, C. S. Army, and staff at full chase into their intrenchments, situated so as to defend a causeway and mill seat, 2 miles west of Jackson, charging to within 40 yards of the breastworks, which General Ransom and party reached 50 yards ahead.

    The enemy immediately advanced skirmishers across the causeway. Captain Loomis dismounted the carbineers, and deployed them, and, with the howitzers, drove them back within the intrenchments.

    I moved down rapidly With Companies G, A. K. and M, at a trot, to support the advance, when you overtook me, and ordered the regiment in position, with Companies K, M, E, and I, under Major Stratton, to support the artillery and howitzers, Companies G, A, L, and C drawn up in line, under cover, leaving Companies H, F, D, and B, with prisoners, under Capt. R. B. Ward, in Jackson, to picket strongly all roads leading to the rear, to guard against surprise.

    Lieutenant Prudhomme, commanding howitzers, took a position on the right of the farm-house, within 240 yards of the enemy's works, and gallantly kept his pieces usefully employed during the engagement, in the midst of a terrific storm, which seemed to put an end to the fight on both sides. I received orders near night to cover the withdrawal of the artillery, which was done. Arriving at Jackson, took the advance to the mill, 6 miles this side, and encamped.

    During the engagement, although our men were exposed to grape and canister, shell and musketry, we had none killed or wounded, excepting a few horses.

    It was reported to me by an officer of the First New York Mounted Rifles, that 10 men of Company C had been left behind, drunk, in Jackson. Upon investigation, I found the report to be incorrect, although a few of Company C's men lost their way, but rejoined the column early in the morning.

    July 29.--Left bivouac at 8 a.m., regiment in rear, Capt. John B. Loomis commanding the rear guard. Battalion was ordered to burn the mill bridge and causeway bridges. While so engaged, Private James Currance, Company A, First New York Mounted Rifles, was brought to him by the caterer of my mess, Dennis Riley, Company D, who, with one or two others, caught Currance in the act of committing a rape upon an old woman sixty years of age. While Captain Loomis was securing him, he shot at one of the men who was detailed to tie him. Captain Loomis will prefer charges.

    At the cross-roads, while waiting for Captain Loomis to report, a council of officers was called, orders read, and it was unanimously the opinion that the enemy had been expecting us for some days, and preparations made to render success at Jackson and Hixford impossible.

    Capt. R. B. Ward, in command of Companies D and C, was detached to convey prisoners and captured horses by way of Reich Square to Winton. March resumed on Captain Loomis' reporting the destruction of the bridges, and we arrived at Murfreesborough, where we bivouacked.

    July 30.--Left Murfreesborough in advance at 9 a.m. Previous to starting, received orders to turn over to Colonel Onderdonk prisoner James Currance, of Company A, with his arms, &c.; turned him over to Sergeant Fauthorne, of Company A, who receipted for him. Arrived at Winton at I p.m. By order, Capt. R. B. Ward appointed acting brigade provost-marshal, and 49 horses and mules captured by Lieutenants Nimmon and Palmer, besides a number of wagons, carts, and buggies, turned over to him. Captain Ward also reported 9 horses and mules captured by himself on the march from Murfreesborough to Winton, via Reich Square, making in all 58 horses and mules captured on the raid in North Carolina, beyond the Chowan, by the Eleventh Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteer Cavalry, as well as 2 commissioned officers and 36 enlisted men of Wheeler's battalion (rebel), and 6 citizens and 3 servants.
    Crossed the Chowan on transports, and bivouacked at the Somerton and Gatesville forks, 4 miles from the river.

    July 31.--As numerous complaints of the conduct of stragglers have been made, and a disposition [manifested] on the part of the Mounted Rifles to shield their own offenders by laying the blame on this regiment, I appointed Lieutenant Titus, with I sergeant, 2 corporals, and 2 men from each company (24 men), to march on the flank of the regiment, with orders to arrest any man who left the column during the march, and at the regular halts to arrest every enlisted man who left the ranks with his horse without my pass. This was done not only to keep stragglers in, but to shield the regiment from the illegal acts of others.

    Left bivouac at 10 a.m., regiment in rear. Delayed on the march several hours, in consequence of broken bridges the other side of Buckland. Arrived at Reynoldson at dark, and bivouacked on the ground of the Chowan Institute.

    August 1.--By order, detached 400 men, under Maj. F. A. Stratton, consisting of Companies E, G, I, F, D, K, and L, and Sergeant {Stewart B.] Shannon, with one howitzer, for a reconnaissance to South Quay and Franklin. They left at 7 a.m. I proceeded with the balance of the regiment in advance, via Somerton, to the Leesville fork, at Dr. Corbin's, and bivouacked on Smith's farm in the morning. Lieutenant McFarlan, Company B, was detailed to capture horses, as 38 men were walking.

    August 2.--Left Corbin's at 9 a.m., in rear, through Suffolk, when Mr. J. B. Norfleet reported to me that one private, Higgins, First New York Mounted Rifles, had stolen his mule. On reporting the theft to Major Wheelan, he assured me that the mule had been sent back. Major Stratton rejoined the command at Burchard's Mills. His report is respectfully submitted.

    This Side of the Sleep Hole Forks, a lady reported to me that her house had been plundered by the regiment in advance, and sought redress. Arrived at Bowers' Hill about dark.(*)

    I have the honor to be, your obedient servant,
    Major Eleventh Pennsylvania Vol. Cav, Comdg. Regiment.

    Col. S. P. SPEAR,
    Commanding Cavalry Brigade.

  7. M E Wolf

    M E Wolf Colonel Retired Moderator

    Feb 9, 2008
    O.R.--SERIES I--VOLUME XLII/1 [S# 87]
    AUGUST 1-DECEMBER 31, 1864.--The Richmond (Virginia) Campaign.
    No. 342.--Report of Lieut. Col. Franklin A. Stratton, Eleventh Pennsylvania Cavalry, commanding Second Brigade, of operations December 10.

    In the Field, December 12, 1864.
    SIR: I have the honor most respectfully to report in relation to the action of the 10th instant that pursuant to orders received on the morning of that day to support the picket-line of the brigade, I moved out at 10 a.m. with all the available force of the command (nearly 500 men) to the vicinity of Fort Holly, and after a little reconnoitering of the ground proceeded to make my dispositions by sending a company of the Eleventh Pennsylvania Cavalry (mounted) to re-enforce each of the two main picket reserves, dismounting the remainder of the regiment except two companies and the detachment of the First District of Columbia Cavalry and placing the men in position to the right and left of the small house, about 300 yards in front of Fort Holly. The two companies left mounted were placed under a good officer (Captain Nimmon) a little to the left and abreast of Fort Holly, so as to protect the horses, which were sent to the rear of the hill on which the redoubt stands. This squadron had orders also to be ready to charge the enemy's line of skirmishers should he push out into the open field. The men had dismounted, but were only partly in position when the enemy charged the outer pickets in front of the fort with dismounted cavalry, driving them back to the left reserve and immediately followed with a strong skirmish line of dismounted cavalry and infantry. A sharp contest ensued for a few minutes, when the enemy's infantry advanced a skirmish line from the wood on our left flank and opened fire on our left and rear. The ground over which they advanced had been covered by a strong picket-line of the Fifth Pennsylvania Cavalry, which withdrew without giving any indication of the approach of the enemy from that direction. In consequence of this enfilading fire, and finding Captain Tripp and several men already wounded, I withdrew to the crest of the hill on the left of the redoubt, sending about forty men along the line of the old rebel rifle-pits to the right of the fort, where they were joined soon after by
    the reserve from the left picket station. The enemy, having evidently met with some loss, did not press his <ar87_839> advance. At this time, about 12.30 p.m., finding many of the men short of ammunition, I sent back for more, and directed those having a supply, including the detachment of the First District of Columbia, under Captain Griffin, and about 120 men of the Eleventh Pennsylvania Cavalry, under Captain Monroe, to move into the ravine at the right of the fort, and, following it around to the front, endeavor to flank the enemy's position and drive him back. This movement, although well conducted, at first by Captain Griffin, who was soon brought off wounded, and afterward by Captain Monroe, proved but partially successful. The enemy was driven back to the edge of the second ravine, but still commanded the slashing through which our men found it difficult to make their way. I did not deem it good policy or prudent to force the advance beyond the line now held. This movement on the right was supported by fifty infantry from the fort, who passed around by the left to the first small house already referred to. General Jourdan, who commanded this portion of the line, now directed me to remain in the position I held. Moderate firing was kept up with little effect on either side until 4 o'clock, when General Jourdan directed my men to be relieved with infantry. By his direction I then ordered my men back to their horses in the rear of the fort. About dark, judging from the movements of the enemy that he was retiring, I sent out a company to reconnoiter, but found them still in position. At 9 o'clock I made another reconnaissance and ascertained that he had left. I immediately re-established my picket-lines as they were at the commencement of the action, strengthened and extended on the left, where the pickets of the Fifth Pennsylvania Cavalry had been in the morning. My right picket station was not disturbed during the day. At dark I went into bivouac in the snow and mud,and at noon on the 11th returned to camp.

    I forwarded a report of casualties on the 10th.(*) All of the missing from the picket-line, except one, returned the next day, having escaped to the right of our line.

    The enemy's force in my front I judge to have been two regiments or more, cavalry and infantry. His losses must have exceeded ours. Several are known to have been killed, besides some whose bodies were found on the field. Major Skelley, commanding the Eleventh Pennsylvania Cavalry, and Captain Griffin, commanding the First District of Columbia Cavalry, ably seconded me in this affair. The latter was severely wounded while gallantly leading his men against the enemy. He was succeeded by Lieutenant Wonderly, who also did well. Captain Tripp, of the Eleventh Pennsylvania Cavalry, was severely wounded while on the skirmish line. Captain Macnamara and Lieutenant Ford, of my staff, deserve mention for their coolness and efficiency.

    I have the honor to be, sir, very respectfully, your obedient servant,
    Lieut. Col. Eleventh Pennsylvania Cav., Comdg. Second Cav. Brig.
    Acting Assistant Adjutant-General, Kautz's Division.

    O.R.--SERIES I--VOLUME XLII/2 [S# 88]
    Near Olive Branch Church, September 7, 1864.
    Capt. M. J. ASCH,
    Acting Assistant Adjutant-General:
    CAPTAIN: I learn that about sunrise this morning several rebel soldiers were seen near Doctor Bryant's house. A few were mounted. I have just returned from a visit along the right of the line. There is a safeguard named Gay, Thirty-ninth Massachusetts Volunteers, at Doctor Bryant's. The officers complain that on other occasions when rebels have been seen about there that he is very uncommunicative and they are suspicious of him. As this safeguard is outside of our picket-line nearly a quarter of a mile, I respectfully submit that he should either be withdrawn or relieved. Our line is so thin that it is impossible to keep out determined and skillful scouts, and I think in places through the woods on the Lawyers' road that a wire could be stretched from tree to tree, running through small iron staples, so that the picket could hear any one striking the wire during the night. There must be old worn-out telegraph wire about which could be used advantageously. I have directed Major Stratton to endeavor to entrap the parties who come near Doctor Bryant's.
    Respectfully, yours,
    Major Eleventh Pennsylvania Cavalry, Commanding Brigade.

    NOTE: A "safeguard" is a soldier or soldiers to protect upon request or direction of a commanding officer to protect a vital location such as a doctor's office, residence, mills and such. The "enemy" is to make sure that safeguard is not harmed and place one of their own with them so, when the enemy takes over ground, that the site/person(s) remain protected from injury of any/all kinds. When the enemy relieves the "safeguard" he is safely escorted back to his lines without injury or harm. (Since it is so rarely mentioned I took the opportunity to post it).
  8. M E Wolf

    M E Wolf Colonel Retired Moderator

    Feb 9, 2008
    O.R.--SERIES I--VOLUME XLVI/1 [S# 95]
    MARCH 29-APRIL 9, 1865.--The Appomattox (Virginia) Campaign.
    No. 264.--Report of Lieut. Col. Franklin A. Stratton, Eleventh Pennsylvania Cavalry.

    Near Richmond, Va., April 29, 1865.
    SIR: I have the honor to make the following report of operations of this regiment during the late campaign:
    Breaking up the winter's camp on the north side of the James on the evening of the 28th of March the command during the night crossing the James at Varina and the Appomattox at Point of Rocks, moved to the Norfolk and Petersburg Railroad, in the rear of the lines of the Army of the Potomac. The following day the regiment proceeded to Reams' Station, at which point it remained, with the division, until 3 o'clock on the morning of the 1st of April, when the march was resumed. The command proceeded to Dinwiddie Court-House and from there took the road leading into the White Oak road, the Eleventh Pennsylvania Cavalry having the advance. At 1 p.m., about half a mile from the White Oak road, we struck the enemy's pickets, and pushing on soon developed a considerable force strongly posted in rifle-pits in the edge of a wood along the road named, with an open field in their front. Major McFarlan, commanding the advance battalion, deployed Captain Menzies' squadron (Companies G and H) on the right and left of the road, mounted, and Captain Elliott's squadron (Companies F and B) farther to the right and left, in the woods, dismounted. The remaining six companies were then ordered up under Major Skelley, temporarily in command of the regiment, to support the advance battalion. As soon as formed, about a quarter of a mile from the enemy's line, Major Monroe, with two squadrons (Companies A, E, K and C), was directed to charge the enemy's position, which was promptly done, the general commanding the division charging at the head of the column. The squadrons moved at first on the left of the road, and then crossing it obliquely struck the left of the enemy's position, charging over the works into the road and driving the enemy out in confusion; meantime Lieutenant Meekins, with Company I, had dislodged the left of the enemy's line, and Captain Ring, with part of his company, gallantly charged the enemy for a considerable distance along the White Oak road to the left. Captain Elliott pushed his dismounted men rapidly across the road into the wood, driving the enemy for some distance. Major Skelley supported the attack with Captain Nimmon's squadron (Companies D and M), moving up at a gallop on the right of the line. The rebels were completely dispersed at every point. Their number, as afterward ascertained, was 600, double the number of my regiment.

    We have to mourn the loss in this charge of Major Monroe and Lieutenant Mathews, mortally wounded, and Captain Lancaster, killed, all brave and gallant officers, who fell gloriously while leading their men to the attack. Lieutenant Wolfe was taken prisoner, having pushed out too far on the left. Our loss otherwise was not heavy.

    The command during the afternoon took part with the Fifth Corps in its right flank movement at the Five Forks which resulted so disastrously to the enemy. A considerable number of prisoners were captured by the regiment and turned over to the infantry.

    The regiment moved with the division on the 2d, 3d, and 4th to the vicinity of Amelia Court-House. At Deep Creek we attacked the rebel rear guard, strongly posted, and after half an hour's skirmishing drove them out with considerable loss, having only one man wounded on our side. On the 4th, upon nearing the Court-House, Major McFarlan, commanding the advance battalion, met and charged the enemy's cavalry outlasts, driving their skirmish line back upon their infantry support. He was followed up in the charge by the remainder of the regiment, which was ordered forward by Colonel Evans, commanding the brigade. Only two or three men were lost. The next day I supported the First Maryland Cavalry in its attack on the enemy at the railroad, to the left of the Court-House. Two or three men were slightly wounded in this affair. Moving thence, via Burkeville, to Prince Edward Court-House, on the 7th, we there, in conjunction with Major Baker's battalion, captured a considerable number of rebels, including one or two officers. The following day we marched to the vicinity of Appomattox Station, on the South Side Railroad, and on the morning of the 9th moved out to the main road from Appomattox Court-House to Lynchburg, about a mile westerly from the Court-House, this regiment having the advance. Captain Nimmon's squadron was deployed, dismounted, and pushed across the road to develop the enemy's position. I moved the remainder of the regiment into the wood on the left, dismounting four companies, under Major Skelley, holding Captain Ring's squadron in reserve, mounted, and sending Captain Tripp with his squadron to watch our left. About twenty minutes after Captain Nimmon commenced skirmishing I discovered the enemy pushing out about a brigade of infantry from the wood on our right and moving down the slope at right angles with our line. Changing front to the right, I opened fire with some effect, but receiving orders in a few minutes to fall back retired slowly toward the main road. Before reaching it, however, I was directed to deploy again, about 200 yards in front of the road, to protect the left flank, which I did. Captain Ring's squadron and one squadron under Lieutenant Cook were formed in line on the main road to repel the enemy, who were following closely our dismounted men, retiring under their orders to fall back. The enemy's cavalry being reported moving to our left and rear, I sent Major McFarlan to move the led horses as his judgment might direct for their safety. This duty he creditably performed, and afterward had the horses ready for mounting as soon as wanted by me. While affairs were in this position Davies' brigade, dismounted, aided by our dismounted men, repelled the attack of the enemy on this road. At this moment some of the rebel cavalry dashed in upon our rear, and were met and checked by such men as could be brought up in time. Almost at the same time our infantry, a part of the Twenty-fourth Corps, advanced in line from the woods in our rear, sweeping back the head of the column of rebel cavalry, and pushing beyond us toward the Court-House soon left us in the rear. During this cavalry attack Captain Ring made a dashing charge on a superior force of cavalry in our rear with some effect, although I had no men at hand mounted to support him. Receiving orders to mount the regiment I did so without delay, and, under orders, moved down the road about a mile westerly to meet the rebel cavalry, there posted across the road. Before any decisive operations were commenced at this point orders to suspend hostilities were received. Although a portion of the engagement was quite sharp this morning I lost but one man killed and three or four wounded.

    From this place, on the evening of the 9th, I detached Captain Elliott's squadron to search for artillery supposed to be abandoned by the enemy in the vicinity of Red Oak Church. A copy of his report has already been forwarded, from which it will be seen that he captured 60 prisoners, 54 pieces of field artillery, 36 gun carriages and caissons, and 1 battle-flag.

    On the 12th the command marched to Lynchburg and occupied the town about 4 p.m. Upon entering the place I received orders to take command of the troops in the place, consisting of the Eleventh Pennsylvania Cavalry and Major Baker's battalion, and to take possession of and destroy all public property. These orders were carried out as far as possible during the evening. The next day I turned over the command and the captured property to Lieutenant-Colonel Potter, of General Turner's division, of the Twenty-fourth Corps. Very large amounts of military stores were found here, comprising ordnance and ordnance stores of every kind, quartermaster's property, a large amount of subsistence stores, 25 locomotives, many cars, and much other railroad property, and much property of a miscellaneous nature. This property was all turned over by me to Lieutenant-Colonel Potter as stated. I found here 56 field pieces, 6 heavy guns, 41 mortars, 7 forges, 75 caissons and gun carriages, 15,000 muskets, several hundred sabers, and a large quantity of ammunition.

    Including the guns, &c., captured on the 9th, at Red Oak Church, the Eleventh Pennsylvania Cavalry has captured and taken possession of and delivered to the proper officers 110 field pieces, 41 mortars, 6 heavy guns, 111 caissons and carriages, a large amount of ordnance stores, 1 battle-flag, and many prisoners.

    Leaving Lynchburg on the 16th the regiment marched with the brigade to Burkeville, and thence, via Goode's Bridge, to Richmond, at which place it arrived on the 24th instant.

    I cannot speak too highly of the soldierly conduct of both officers and men of the regiment during this brief campaign. I have heretofore recommended several officers for promotion and others as deserving honorable mention, but their service, under the eye of the commanding general, has enabled him to judge of their merits.

    Lieut. Col. Eleventh Pennsylvania Cavalry, Comdg. Regiment.
    Actg. Asst. Adjt. Gen., Mackenzie's Cav. Brig., Army of the James.

    O.R.--SERIES I--VOLUME XLVI/3 [S# 97]
    ARMY OF THE JAMES, Richmond, Va., May 4, 1865.
    Lieutenant-Colonel STRATTON,
    Commanding Eleventh Pennsylvania Cavalry:
    SIR: The commanding general directs that you proceed to Staunton, Va., to receive the surrender of General Rosser's command. By agreement with the authorities here he is to have his command collected and necessary steps taken for their parole on the 10th instant. The general terms are the same as those agreed upon between Generals Grant and Lee. All public stores appertaining to said command, whether of ordnance, quartermaster's, or commissary will be received by you. The ordnance stores will be brought to such point on the Virginia Central Railroad as is in communication with this place by cars, and thence sent forward to the chief of ordnance of this department by railroad. All quartermaster's and commissary stores will be distributed to the needy persons of the country between Staunton and Gordonsville. When you shall have received the public stores of General Rosser's command you will return to Charlottesville and communicate with these headquarters by telegraph, or, should there be no communication with this place by telegraph or cars, you will go to such point of the Central Railroad that there is. In your march through the country you will hold your command to the strictest rules of discipline and order, giving protection to persons and property, and bands of outlaws and guerrillas infesting the country will be broken up, and the partisans sent to these headquarters for trial. You will move with fourteen days' rations and short forage for your command. You will forward front Charlottesville, or such other place as you return to, a full report of your operations, indicating the number of arms received, quantity of quartermaster's and commissary stores and the disposition made thereof. Such instructions as you may need hereafter will be received from Brevet Brigadier-General Voris, commanding the district, or from these headquarters direct.

    I am, very respectfully, &c.,
    N.M. CURTIS,
    Brigadier-General and Chief of Staff.
    M. E. Wolf
  9. JPK Huson 1863

    JPK Huson 1863 Colonel Forum Host

    Feb 14, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    Wow, that's an amazing read, thank you. One more bookmark.. Incredible to me anyway that men who received those saber wounds ever lived, with no penicillan, you wonder how on earth a wound like could heal- at all- without a terrible infection occuring. I suppose there's just no 'worst' battle wound, in a Civil War battle, but a saber would would have to be right up there if you'd list horrific injuries 1 through 10.

    Now I really am confused again, however. My uncle was company H, described in that elusive article I can't find as ' One of 8 ' riding with that regiment, or may have been that position, at the time he was killed. Hate to be so picky, looking for this stuff, just also hate to be inaccurate if doubt exists, also- mostly for his sake, not mine. If you're going to pay respects to these men, get it right, you know? That cav was not at Gettysburg, but it sounds like fragments of an awful lot of them became assigned elsewhere on regular basis, left behind, or needed, or whatever.

    Another aspect of David I can't quite figure out is that he's listed as being buried at the National Cemetary, but when you go to the grave marker, it says ' Unknown ', have always wondered how that came to be. Was he buried, and lost track of, although they know he's one of them? Must have been horribly, horribly chaotic, all the dead to bury in those days afterwards- I could see how this would be the case.
  10. johan_steele

    johan_steele Colonel Retired Moderator

    Feb 20, 2005
    South of the North 40
    Some of the dead were identified after burial as in "we put that man in that section" and that was close enough. Other cases a man was identified after the stone was set and there was never a correction.

    Cav units suffered enormous amounts of detachments for courior work in particular, POW escort, trains escort, gopher work for HQ's, etc.

    The saber's of the day were generally unsharpened creating a good amount of blunt force trama and not as much slicing damage to the tissues as you might expect if the tip of the sword never came into play. A goodly amount of internal injuries might be attributed to sword wounds that were misidentified.

    Sorry about the ramble... not doing well today.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

Share This Page

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)