Longstreet Question of Interest on Longstreet family

gentlemanrob

Major
I have saw with my research on the General that the Longstreet family moved west to Alabama and Mississippi. I was wondering was this before the civil war and what was the main cause for the Longstreet family to move west. I have been to Edgefield and Augusta and you see nothing that has the General's name on it.

Augustus Baldwin Longstreet, James uncle, was the Chancellor of the University of Mississippi from 1849 to 1856. He stayed i.n Oxford during the War and is buried in St. Peter's Cemetery.
Regards
David

In 1865 after the collapse of the Confederacy, General Longstreet moves his family to New Orleans. He works in New Orleans as a cotton broker and also in the insurance business. It's about this time where he becomes a member of the Republican party where rumors and controversy began to tarnish his service to the CSA.

In 1865 after the collapse of the Confederacy, General Longstreet moves his family to New Orleans. He works in New Orleans as a cotton broker and also in the insurance business. It's about this time where he becomes a member of the Republican party where rumors and controversy began to tarnish his service to the CSA.
Thanks for sharing this I think his brothers and Sisters had already moved to Mississippi and Alabama before for the war.

Back