Question about the Occupation of Atlanta

Harms88

Sergeant
Currently reading "Rising in Flames" and the book says that a Corps was left to occupy the city after the rest of Sherman's forces moved out in pursuit of Hood prior to the March to the Sea.

I couldn't find the exact details on which corps (the book doesn't say and most stuff I found on the occupation didn't really talk about anything beyond the expulsion order). Which Corps was it and how long did they remain?

The 14th, 15th, 17th and 20th Corps marched with Sherman when he left Atlanta. The 15th and 17th made up the Right Wing, the 14th and 20th made up the Left Wing. If memory serves, the 16th Corps under General Grenville Dodge was also present at Atlanta, so the 16th Corps perhaps or what remained of it after it's dissolution on November 7th. I could not find anything specific either. Perhaps some of our more knowledgeable friends could offer a more definitive answer.

The 14th, 15th, 17th and 20th Corps marched with Sherman when he left Atlanta. The 15th and 17th made up the Right Wing, the 14th and 20th made up the Left Wing. If memory serves, the 16th Corps under General Grenville Dodge was also present at Atlanta, so the 16th Corps perhaps or what remained of it after it's dissolution on November 7th. I could not find anything specific either. Perhaps some of our more knowledgeable friends could offer a more definitive answer.

As far as I can tell, the Confederacy reoccupied Atlanta in November, almost immediately after Sherman's troops began marching to the Sea. So it appears that there was no long term occupation of the city once he decided to move on.

Currently reading "Rising in Flames" and the book says that a Corps was left to occupy the city after the rest of Sherman's forces moved out in pursuit of Hood prior to the March to the Sea.

I couldn't find the exact details on which corps (the book doesn't say and most stuff I found on the occupation didn't really talk about anything beyond the expulsion order). Which Corps was it and how long did they remain?
Atlanta was captured start of September, march to the sea began start of November. In the two months between, Sherman sent men back along the rail line to deal with Wheeler and Forerest and moved several Corps to chase Hood around Northern Georgia. During that time the 20th Corps commanded by Slocum was left in Atlanta.

Who Was Who in the Civil War by Stewart Sifakis contains the following sentences, "While Sherman chased Hood in northern Georgia, Slocum continued as miltary governor of the city. During the March to the Sea he commanded Sherman's left wing and took part in the capture of Savannah".
So it does appear it could have been the 20th Corps.

Immediately after Sherman left Atlanta, what was left of the city & North Georgia was abandoned. The railroad to Chattanooga was dismantled & shipped to Chattanooga as the troops moved northward. All of the support elements & time expired men gathered there as well.

Chattanooga was largely garrisoned by USCT units. The USCT regiments that had been guarding supply depots & the RR were absorbed into the garrison. As a result, even Hood did not contemplate an attack on Chattanooga.

Many of the support elements like the Signal Corps were held up in Chattanooga because of Hood’s incursion. They had to wait for the line to be cleared after Hood’s retreat.

After the end of hostilities, the RR was relaid using the same material, which had been stored at Chattanooga for just that purpose.

Last edited:
Immediately after Sherman left Atlanta, what was left of the city & North Georgia was abandoned. The railroad to Chattanooga was dismantled & shipped to Chattanooga as the troops moved northward. All of the support elements & time expired men gathered there as well.

Chattanooga was largely garrisoned by USCT units. The USCT regiments that had been guarding supply depots & the RR were absorbed into the garrison. As a result, even Hood did not contemplate an attack on Chattanooga.

Many of the support elements like the Signal Corps were held up in Chattanooga because of Hood’s incursion. They had to wait for the line to be cleared after Hood’s retreat.

After the end of hostilities, the RR was relaid using the same material, which had been stored at Chattanooga for just that purpose.

I know that Sherman stripped down to men who were physically capable and in good health for his march but wasn't sure what would happen to someone that's time was about to be up but was still otherwise capable of making the march.

Back