Question about the Confederate Citizens Files on Fold3.com

Championhilz

First Sergeant
Forum Host
I was just looking at the Confederate citizens file on Fold3.com for Charles D. Fontaine, and one of the cards said, "See slave rolls 3548 and 3549." Is anyone familiar with these documents? I have never come across this citation before, and don't have a clue where to find this material. Any help will be most welcome!

I was just looking at the Confederate citizens file on Fold3.com for Charles D. Fontaine, and one of the cards said, "See slave rolls 3548 and 3549." Is anyone familiar with these documents? I have never come across this citation before, and don't have a clue where to find this material. Any help will be most welcome!
Jeff,

Given a little time I can give you the info you need.

You may already have this information, but Charles D. Fontaine was a member of Company G, the Pontotoc Minute Men, of the 2nd Mississippi Infantry Regiment.

"Fontaine, Charles D.
Charles D. Fontaine was a 46 year old attorney from Pontotoc when he joined the Pontotoc Minute Men March 2, 1861. He was active in Democratic Party politics, and was elected state representative from Pontotoc in 1844 and in 1846. He ran for circuit judge in 1853 to succeed Hugh R. Miller, and lost in a three way race. He ran in 1855 as the Know Nothing candidate for governor, and lost. In 1860, Fontaine was elected as one of the four delegates from Pontotoc County to the Secession Convention along with Hugh R. Miller. He enlisted in the Pontotoc Minute Men and was elected Third Lieutenant. However, personal animosity between Miller and Fontaine broke into the open when Miller explicitly criticized Fontaine for the latter's report of the Battle of First Manassas in The Examiner. Shortly afterwards, in October 1861, Fontaine resigned from the Minute Men. After the Civil War, he is believed to have been the leader of the Ku Klux Klan in Pontotoc County. He died September 1871 and is buried in the Pontotoc Cemetery."

This additional information is based on Bob Thompson's additional biographical research on members of Company G.

Attached is Captain Miller's report on the Battle of First Manassas as published in The Examiner. You can see several references to Lt. Fontaine. Unfortunately, I don't have Fontaine's report of the battle that was also published to which Miller was referring to.

Attachments

• Capt Hugh Miller on First Manassas.pdf
    140.9 KB · Views: 70
Back