Tell me more! Question about Enfield Spare parts

JeffFromSyracuse

Corporal
I'm working my way through the order book of a New York regiment. They received Enfields at Elmira on their way to the front in the Fall of 1862. A few weeks later, several of the regiment's Captains were called to "inspect deficiencies in ordnance stores" received when the men were armed. The following were inspected, as best as I can tell:

Extra cones, Ball screws, Springe vices, Cone wrenches

If one measured my knowledge about firearms as grains of powder, there might be enough to get the ball out of barrel, so what I'd like to know are two things:

1) Did I get these terms correct?
2) What are these parts?

ucvrelics

Colonel
Forum Host
Regtl. Quartermaster Shiloh 2020
These are basically everyday maintenance and repair items and tools. The cones being the nipples, cone wrench use to replace the nipples. spring vice was used to compress the lock-plate spring in order to make lock-plate repairs. There was what is known as a Sargent's tool which was like a Swiss army knife for Enfields. Maybe @johan_steele @Craig L Barry and @Lanyard Puller can give more details.

Craig L Barry

Sergeant Major
There is quite a bit about these tools in the Suppliers to the Confederacy books, essentially these tools with the exception of the cone wrench or ball screws would not have been issued to the soldiers as the Army did not want them disassembling the lock internals for fear they would lose the small parts or perhaps never get them back in functioning order again. Additionally, the Sgt's tool was distinct because it had a spring vice on it for removing the mainspring.

Lanyard Puller

Sergeant
Here's a photo of the 4 types you're most likely to encounter at antique gun shows. There are at least 3 or 4 variations to these.
20210305_093706_resized (2).jpg

Mk VII

Private
These have been much reproduced in recent years, often in India, and buyers should careful about accepting supposedly genuine ones.