QMSgt. Asa Holt, 22nd Texas Dismounted Infantry.

Allow me to introduce yall to a relative of mine. Quartermaster Sgt. Asa Holt, or more commonly known in his later years as Colonel Asa, was a prominent landowner, businessman, banker, and veteran of the American Civil War.

Holt was born near Macon Co., Georgia in 1827 to William and Jane Turner-Holt. Following the death of his father around the early 1850's, the remaining brothers and sisters, along with Asa, follwed the westward expansion to texas, settling near Smith Co.

Asa would join the 22nd Texas out of tyler Co., and would remain with the unit until june '65.

Asa would be involved in the battle of Jenkins Ferry and Youngs point, as well as many of the major battles though out Arkansas and Louisiana.

Following the war, Asa would go on to operate a successful ranch, open a major stagecoach operation, and two banks, one still in operation today.

His son, Abdon Holt, my 3rd great grandfather, is credited with being a founder of the City of Abilene.

This picture is of him during the 1875 Texas Constitutional convention, in which he was a representative of Van Zandt County.

If there are any other folks on here with family history involved with the 22nd Texas, let me know! Id love to learn some more on this particular unit. There is not a whole lot to go off of, save for one book.

FB_IMG_1595463666916.jpg

Dapper looking gentleman. Here is some unit info on the 22nd.

Attachments

• Unit Information.pdf
    7.7 MB · Views: 46
Thanks for sharing. Several little details are interesting to some things I've researched but nothing is match.

Does your Asa Holt have anything to do with the Cannonball House in Macon, Georgia? It was built by a Judge Asa Holt in 1853 and struck by a cannonball fired by General Stoneman's guns.

My ancestor William B. Huddle and two of his brothers, John and Rufus were in Company I of the 22nd TX Infantry. Both John and Rufus were killed at Mansfield.

There is a recently published history of the 22nd called "Sires and Sons, The Story of Hubbard's Regiment" by Trevor Wardlaw. Definitely worth the read. It's available on Amazon.

My ancestor William B. Huddle and two of his brothers, John and Rufus were in Company I of the 22nd TX Infantry. Both John and Rufus were killed at Mansfield.

There is a recently published history of the 22nd called "Sires and Sons, The Story of Hubbard's Regiment" by Trevor Wardlaw. Definitely worth the read. It's available on Amazon.
William, Rufus and John are mentioned in a bio of Dr. Emory F. Huddle in "A History of Texas and Texans," 1914. Page 2048.

Does your Asa Holt have anything to do with the Cannonball House in Macon, Georgia? It was built by a Judge Asa Holt in 1853 and struck by a cannonball fired by General Stoneman's guns.
At first i thought maybe, but all the research ive done turned up didnt show any ties. But i am familiar with the cannonball house.

I ordered the book, im currently waiting on its arrival. Thanks for including your families history! The records i have show that QMSgt. Holt was in K Co., out of Tyler Co.

Very interesting. Thank you for sharing a bit of your family history. Any information on the first names? They are a bit unusual.

William, Rufus and John are mentioned in a bio of Dr. Emory F. Huddle in "A History of Texas and Texans," 1914. Page 2048.
Mike- Thanks for posting this. Had seen this before but it's been a while. I am descended from William B. Huddle's youngest child Arch W. Huddle.
William B. Huddle's son Emory Huddle was as a small child given to be raised by his mother's sister Anna Cormany Neff and her husband Hiram Neff. Anna and Hiram had lost their only son Alexander Stephen Neff (6th Texas Cavalry- Stone's Regiment 2nd Cavalry), during the War and they promised to give Emory a first rate education. They did just that and Emory became a Doctor.

Mike- Thanks for posting this. Had seen this before but it's been a while. I am descended from William B. Huddle's youngest child Arch W. Huddle.
William B. Huddle's son Emory Huddle was as a small child given to be raised by his mother's sister Anna Cormany Neff and her husband Hiram Neff. Anna and Hiram had lost their only son Alexander Stephen Neff (6th Texas Cavalry- Stone's Regiment 2nd Cavalry), during the War and they promised to give Emory a first rate education. They did just that and Emory became a Doctor.
You're welcome.
You are from Texas. Did you hear that Alaska might split in half to become two separate states? Then Texas will be the third largest state! :bounce:

Back