Pvt.Vernon H. Lockley,Co.A, Willis'Cavalry Battalion,Wauls' Texas Legion.

cowdensman

Private
According to his muster rolls, ggrandfather,Pvt Vernon Hampton Lockley,Co.A. Willis' Cavalry Battalion,Wauls' Texas Legion served as a substitute for Wm.Davis and was on detached duty herding beeves for his company up until march,1863 when he suddenly died...I know he was interred in Warren County,Miss. near Vicksburg about March 16,1863 and that he was 37 years old, but that is all I know....I would like to know what he died of(nothing is written on his muster record),and exactly when and where he was buried. He had been with his unit for about 8 months, enlisting in Washington County,Texas about July,1862. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

I'm looking for some information on my ggrandfather,Pvt.Vernon H.Lockley who served in above CSA unit during the Civil War. According to his muster records he joined them as a substitute in April,1862...In March,1863 he was put on detached duty to herd cattle for the company....there is no further record of him....Family lore said he died on March 16,1863 near Vicksburg,Miss. and is buried somewhere in Warren County,Miss. but I can't find anything that really proves that. None of the Confederate cemeteries there have anyone with his name interred. I assume that he probably was buried where he died.....I also don't know what he died of....Was it sickness,accident or was he killed in battle? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank You. Charles Lockley.

Waul's Texas Legion was part of General Loring's Division that defended Fort Pemberton at Greenwood, Miss., during Grant's Yazoo Pass Expedition in March 12-19, 1863.
I don't recall the date that Willis Cavalry was seperated from Waul's Legion but I think it was after Fort Pemberton. So I am sure that Willis Cavalry was there.
Now where were the CS casualties of the Battle of Fort Pemberton buried? There are some CW vets buried in Greenwood but I believe they are survivors of the War.
BTW, I recall a group of graves in the cemetery at Vaiden, Carroll County, MS that were Texans but I don't think any were Waul's or Willis units.
I think we need to focus on Battle of Fort Pemberton and look for list of casualties.

Waul's Texas Legion was part of General Loring's Division that defended Fort Pemberton at Greenwood, Miss., during Grant's Yazoo Pass Expedition in March 12-19, 1863.
I don't recall the date that Willis Cavalry was seperated from Waul's Legion but I think it was after Fort Pemberton. So I am sure that Willis Cavalry was there.
Now where were the CS casualties of the Battle of Fort Pemberton buried? There are some CW vets buried in Greenwood but I believe they are survivors of the War.
BTW, I recall a group of graves in the cemetery at Vaiden, Carroll County, MS that were Texans but I don't think any were Waul's or Willis units.
I think we need to focus on Battle of Fort Pemberton and look for list of casualties.
I have thought about Ft.Pemberton as a possibility....Willis' battalion was there...They were involved in several engagements that transpired months before the actual siege of Vicksburg. Vernon died march 16 and Pemberton was besieged by union forces at that time. I believe several men were killed there. That's a good lead to follow...Thank you.

Vernon was in Co.A One of six companies of Willis' Cavalry Battalion...If his company was at Ft.Pemberton during their siege(March 12-19,1863) and I have his date of death as March 16,it is probable he died there....The last entry on his records state he was detailed to herd beeves(cattle) about that time. No further entries....almost as if he fell from the face of the earth.

Back