Pvt. David E. Dayton 5th N.Y. Heavy Artillery Co. H

rickwilde

Cadet
First, let me say hello as I am new to this site. I was hoping I could get some information from people who know more then I do. My great Grandfather David E. Dayton from Long Island New York joined the 5th N.Y. Heavy Artillery Co. H on August 27, 1862. He was camped at Cedar Creek on October the 13th,1864 when Early's artillery fired on them. My understanding is that Pvt. Dayton had his head taken off by one of the pcs of artillery. The battle of Cedar Creek was several days later so they would have had time to bury Pvt. Dayton. The problem I am having is that I can not find any information on him. He is not at the Winchester, Virginia National Cemetery and if he is, he is there as an unknown which would make no sense to me. I was thinking that he could have been sent home but do not find any information nor have I found him in any cemetery. Was hoping someone may be able to give some ideas or know a way to find this information. Also wanted to add this story that happened to me a few Months past. I went to where the 5th N.Y. camped and an old house was being restored. I went up to the people who owned the house and while talking to them, the Wife told me a story that her Husband's Great Grandfather told. She was telling me the story about a soldier who had his head blown off out in the camp. This put a chill up and down my spine. thanks in advance for the help. Rick Wilde

Hi Rick I don't have their battery ID handy but I have two cousins who were in The Fifth New York Heavies, Elijah Loucks and Wilbur Strong.

Two of the research websites I use a ton or www.CivilWardata.com and of course ancestry.com for the pension information

First, let me say hello as I am new to this site. I was hoping I could get some information from people who know more then I do. My great Grandfather David E. Dayton from Long Island New York joined the 5th N.Y. Heavy Artillery Co. H on August 27, 1862. He was camped at Cedar Creek on October the 13th,1864 when Early's artillery fired on them. My understanding is that Pvt. Dayton had his head taken off by one of the pcs of artillery. The battle of Cedar Creek was several days later so they would have had time to bury Pvt. Dayton. The problem I am having is that I can not find any information on him. He is not at the Winchester, Virginia National Cemetery and if he is, he is there as an unknown which would make no sense to me. I was thinking that he could have been sent home but do not find any information nor have I found him in any cemetery. Was hoping someone may be able to give some ideas or know a way to find this information. Also wanted to add this story that happened to me a few Months past. I went to where the 5th N.Y. camped and an old house was being restored. I went up to the people who owned the house and while talking to them, the Wife told me a story that her Husband's Great Grandfather told. She was telling me the story about a soldier who had his head blown off out in the camp. This put a chill up and down my spine. thanks in advance for the help. Rick Wilde

He's listed in :

New York: Report of the Adjutant-General 1893-1906, it says he was "killed at Cedar Creek" 10/19/1864.

I checked Fold3 and it looks like his widow and children applied for a pension. The whole file isn't digitized yet so if you're really curious you might want to order it. Sometimes there's not a lot there, but sometimes there's a wealth of information.

DavidEDayton_Fold3_Page_1.jpg
DavidEDaytonFold3_Dayton_DavidIndex_to_Pension_File0.jpg

New York's records have him killed on the 13th, not the 19th.

Ryan

David E. Dayton

Residence was not listed; 31 years old.

Enlisted on 8/27/1862 at New York City, NY as a Private.

On 8/27/1862 he mustered into "H" Co. H 5th NY Heavy Artillery
He was Killed on 10/19/1864 at Cedar Creek, VA
New York: Report of the Adjutant-General 1893-1906

David E. Dayton

Residence was not listed; 31 years old.

Enlisted on 8/27/1862 at New York City, NY as a Private.

On 8/27/1862 he mustered into "H" Co. H 5th NY Heavy Artillery
He was Killed on 10/19/1864 at Cedar Creek, VA
New York: Report of the Adjutant-General 1893-1906

Huh. My record says the 13th.

Ryan

Well, since we can't "corroborate" it, we probably should just ignore, ya think ???

It could be corroborated if one has access to other writings such as diaries to see if it could be determined when he was killed. We know that the 5th lost 5 men killed and 4 mortally wounded on October 13th so there may be something out there that would provide the names of these men.

Ryan

Hello, I compiled what I believe to be a complete nominal casualty list for the 5th NYHA at Cedar Creek for both dates of 10/13/1864 and 10/19/64 and it matches the numerical figure that is given in the ORs as to the total number of casualties (309) for the 19th. What happened is that there were so few officers left in the 2nd Battn. that the casualties were combined for both battles. The majority of men that were killed or wounded occured on the 13th. In fact I have only one man being MWIA on the 19th along with a few others being wounded. Some of the men that were KIA on the 13th were buried on the Bowman farm where the 5th NYHA was encamped. They may have been either killed by the in coming shells or were carried back to camp from Hupps Hill where they died. I do have David Dayton as being killed on the 13th. He is probably buried in Winchester National Cemetery as an Unknown.
Since I am from the place where both actions took place Im curious to where the house is that was being remodeled is? I had never heard that account? Mike Kehoe, Strasburg Va

Hello, I compiled what I believe to be a complete nominal casualty list for the 5th NYHA at Cedar Creek for both dates of 10/13/1864 and 10/19/64 and it matches the numerical figure that is given in the ORs as to the total number of casualties (309) for the 19th. What happened is that there were so few officers left in the 2nd Battn. that the casualties were combined for both battles. The majority of men that were killed or wounded occured on the 13th. In fact I have only one man being MWIA on the 19th along with a few others being wounded. Some of the men that were KIA on the 13th were buried on the Bowman farm where the 5th NYHA was encamped. They may have been either killed by the in coming shells or were carried back to camp from Hupps Hill where they died. I do have David Dayton as being killed on the 13th. He is probably buried in Winchester National Cemetery as an Unknown.
Since I am from the place where both actions took place Im curious to where the house is that was being remodeled is? I had never heard that account? Mike Kehoe, Strasburg Va
Hi, Mike!

Unfortunately, it looks like the OP hasn't been active in over 2.5 years. Not sure if they will see this note of yours. But please do feel free to post about what you compiled on here--including on its own thread! I think it will be a great resource for folks with ancestors in that unit. :smile:

Hi, Mike!

Unfortunately, it looks like the OP hasn't been active in over 2.5 years. Not sure if they will see this note of yours. But please do feel free to post about what you compiled on here--including on its own thread! I think it will be a great resource for folks with ancestors in that unit. :smile:
Maybe he will check back in, Im finding quite a bit of information in bits and pieces about the 5th NYHA and their time at Cedar Creek. I was wondering if anyone had info on the type of weapons that they were using by OCT. 1864

Back